Games like Grimrock

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
ZheaktheGeek

Games like Grimrock

Post by ZheaktheGeek »

Hey there, long time lurker, just made this account.

I've been playing Legend of Grimrock and games similar to it for quite some time now.

The closest new game I've seen to anything like this is Arakion : book 1, on steam, I was wondering if anyone else has any other recommendations, or if anyone has played both other games and Arakion, and could make a suggestion on one of them and why?

I think this belongs in this section, but not sure. Really just trying to expand my library of similar games, but can't afford a whole ton right now because I'm a broke college kid.

Any advice or pointers on games in the genre would be really appreciated! Thanks a ton guys.
aerendhil

Re: Games like Grimrock : DODK

Post by aerendhil »

As a long time Grimrock player & fan, I was looking for a similar game too.
I found out a clone called "dungeon of dragon knight"

The game looks so similar to Grimrock that I wondered wether AH sold the code or it was downright reverse-enginereed.

has anyone tried it ? is it good ?
BouH

Re: Games like Grimrock

Post by BouH »

I have played Vaporum, pretty nice crawler too, but not party one, I would recommend it, I put it on my "Dungeon crrawler" flash drive alongside Grimrocks. Also I have watched some streams and videos about Dungeon of the dragon knight, basic pazzles looks similar to Grimrock ones, but easier. Also graphics is too bad, everything so blurry, especially keyholes. Shop didn't look like a good idea in dungeon, M&M 10 at least had waste world, in closed dungeon much more interesting is to find equipment. Skill system looks pale. Enemy models are very bad, and I dont think they'll improve that after early access. At last hidden switches are not so hidden. Basicly everything looks like Grimrock but if it was made by people with no talent. I add it to wishlist but can't force myself to buy it. Also there is Operencia, but I hate that kind of battle system and also I didn't saw many interesting puzzles and hidden secrets in walkthrough (also Epic store). I'm looking for some games like Grimrock too, so thank you for Arakion: Book One, I'll chack videos, maybe it would be good while waiting LoG 3.
Halluinoid

Post by Halluinoid »

could be a long wait

LOGII developers just released Druidstone The secret which I have been playing on Easy last couple of weeks, I have enjoyed playing it

got Vaporum a while back, brilliant start, seems like a good one alright

BouH good comments above, highly enjoyable :lol:
Rakhot

Post by Rakhot »

I ve found 3 first-person dungeon crawler this year: Vaporum, Drawngeon: Dungeons of Ink and Paper and Dungeon of Dragon Knight. While Vaporum and Drawngeon are trying to add something new into the genre, DODK sticks to retro and is the most grimrock-like. I have played DODK for several hours, so far not bad. It has a good UI system and visually nice graphics (but maybe too dark sometimes). The map design gets better after the first 3 levels, as I prefer tightly constructed mazes to floor traps. I really like the tavern and the reaction of hostess when you click on her XD, very interesting element! I recommend you to take a look at it.
BouH

Post by BouH »

Rakhot wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:25 am I ve found 3 first-person dungeon crawler this year: Vaporum, Drawngeon: Dungeons of Ink and Paper and Dungeon of Dragon Knight. While Vaporum and Drawngeon are trying to add something new into the genre, DODK sticks to retro and is the most grimrock-like. I have played DODK for several hours, so far not bad. It has a good UI system and visually nice graphics (but maybe too dark sometimes). The map design gets better after the first 3 levels, as I prefer tightly constructed mazes to floor traps. I really like the tavern and the reaction of hostess when you click on her XD, very interesting element! I recommend you to take a look at it.
DODK has nice graphics??? Did you saw those enemies models? :lol:

As for crawlers, I forgot to mention Fall of the dungeon guardian (so-so as for me and combat system that I don't like) rewiever I watched say it is really good, also there are The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost and Heroes of the monkey tawern (HOTMT), but they are soooo basic. HOTMT walkthrough near 4 hours i believe and no secret hunting, your bard just would say there is secret nearby...
Komag

Post by Komag »

I just bought Dungeon of Dragon Knight based on seeing it mentioned here and spending 5 minutes watching gameplay videos on YouTube and see it discounted on Steam from $15 do to $10 (plus I had $0.20 in Steam credit to spend!). Installing now (5GB), I'll report back some first impressions soon :-)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Komag

Post by Komag »

2019-07-05
Dungeon of Dragon Knight
Playing in 4k at Best quality
Can't easily rebind keys - must switch to a 3rd unused key, then switch the other bind, THEN switch the original bind!
Menu music sounds very similar to Grimrock
Menu background (tavern?) looks great
Default is Easy, should be Normal (I'm playing Normal)
I chose default team (to get right into the game), so I can't comment on character creation
Beautiful intro drawings/artwork, but badly written story (maybe bad translation)
Decent voice acting (maybe a little cheesy, but is has a charm that I like)
I changed the movement binding, but the big "Movement" image shows up with default binding showing
Map doesn't say which floor it's showing
Map continues to show red arrow for party no matter what floor of the map you're looking at
Everything looks really blurry up close, what's up? Is it the DOF setting?
YES, turning off DOF solved it!
Whoa, a little surprised by auto-pick-up
Hmm, just basic things suffer from bad translation
- Ex: Torch: "The top is wrapped with oil-impregnated linen to maintain a long time illumination"
No bindings for individual party members, too bad
The rock and throwing knife being all sparkly and glowing is confusing, distracting, and silly
- I guess it's to help notice them on the floor since they could easily be overlooked
- But when you throw the throwing knife, it looks more like casting a sparkly spell or something
I tried experimenting with some spells, runes seem cool, spell effects seem good, nice to be able to easily repeat last spell
When looking around with right-mouse, you then can't move until the view moves back to neutral, not cool
Movement seems to save one extra step in queue, which I guess helps make multiple sequential steps go more smoothly, but can sometimes lead to unintended extra steps
Some Items are not auto-pick-up?
- Looks like maybe weapons are auto-pick-up, but not other stuff like bread, potions, etc
Tavern is interesting
Going back to dungeon turned back on the arrow buttons instead of keeping them off like I set them
Why can't my elf ranger hold the bone hammer?
How I just put a new torch directly into inventory?
- When I put it on the character, that character equips it
Oh man, all these sparkling glowing Items looks really dumb
Kinda neat for pressure plates to tilt view down a little bit
The effect of stepping off the plate happens the moment you press forward, even though visually you are not off the plate until at least halfway to next square
Maybe map would be better if auto-mapping extend one square around player?
- It's slightly annoying to have to actually step on every square if I want my map to fill out properly, including bumping against blockages
- But maybe that would mess up secrets, what's on other side of door, etc
Treasure chest latch not portrayed correctly, comes apart from lid
Wild zoom into check (kinda cool)
Laughingly, I had to try to step into each spike trap to put that sq on the map!
Hmm, trying to figure out what hunger does... no auto-healing? slowly hurt? Looks like slow hurt
Do arrows sometimes break? I thought I had 4, now I have 3
Can only one sound play at a time? Casting magic sound cut off by closing inventory
Ah, I really like the mechanic of looking down pit to next level!
Uh, going up ladder has you floating at top instead of automatically being one square forward as it should
Overall, I'm impressed and think it's a great Grimrock clone so far
- It has some rough edges that need to be ironed out
- I would recommend it based on my experience so far (finished first level)
Komag

Post by Komag »

I played it some more, he's already fixed a few of the issues listed above!

I'm having a pretty good time. The game is still rough, not nearly as polished as Grimrock in a lot of small ways, but worthwhile and new and interesting, and I recommend it.
andyroosta

Post by andyroosta »

Yep, it's a good game..not as polished as Grimrock but still great fun.