[MOD] The Guardians

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Adrageron

Re: [MOD] The Guardians

Post by Adrageron »

@ RMariano
Thanks! Glad that you like it!

@ knr
Thanks a lot for detailed review, added your suggestions to the future update list :idea:
SpoilerShow
As for the last figurine: you have all you need to get it. One of archivist's notes have a hint about it (not the figurine itself, but the way how to obtain it).
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

I went Minotaur barbarian and 3 lizards for +50 all resists from the start. It was necessary.
2 barbarians on frontline and 2 alchemists (mage/guns) on backrow. Any resist tome I encountered was then fed into my minotaur barbarian.
My party is nearly invulnerable to fire and poison by now.

I'm now 20 hours in, my party is lvl 14 in and everything I could scrounge would be converted in red gems.
All red gems go directly into enchanting the armor pieces (crystal/meteor/valor/plate) with an additional +8 armor or into herbs.
I decided to put all crystal flowers into vitality potions. No need to save up on red gems.

frontline barbarians are currently sitting at 31 vitality and roughly ~330 hp.
Using still light strength fireblade, the other one light strength lightning blade. They have low cooldowns and in combination with rage potions they can plow through pretty much anything. add in a speed potion and offcourse trollblood regen and the occasional forcefield and I would find my self simply facetanking many enemies.

This causes a bottleneck in mudworts as I rely mainly on spamming ragepotions when I have to plow through some tough encounters.

3 critical
5 armor
3 dodge
2 accuracy
2 light weapons
knr

Post by knr »

Adrageron wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:45 pm
SpoilerShow
As for the last figurine: you have all you need to get it. One of archivist's notes have a hint about it (not the figurine itself, but the way how to obtain it).
SpoilerShow
Hmm, looking through my discarded note pile, the only one that seems like it could fit is the cemetery one, which I took to be about the main use of the altars. No idea what the relics would be if it's that though. Maybe sleeping on it will help. Another scroll lead to the dragon, which I have, and a third seems to require cleansed elemental essences, which would put it after the statues.
Oh, I also have a bug report - you can sidestep off one ladder in bitter hills and one in the gorge (in the water) to go out of bounds.

And two places you can permanently lose something by accident (as in, without going out of your way to lose it). The arena can't be reentered after the last fight, so someone not picking up all the boss' loot would be dead-ended right there. And you can very easily permanently trap yourself out of the timed teleporter puzzle in the pyramid by throwing something out of reach on the pressure plate behind the timed bars. Which is in fact an extremely natural thing to happen there so that might be on purpose?
knr

Post by knr »

Focusing so much on defense seems weird since in most encounters your primary goal is clearing enemies out enough to move freely, which is purely a function of damage. And even when you're facetanking, how long you have to tank is again a function of damage. Most of my flowers went into strength, some in dex, and some into enchantment because crit's the best damage stat. I did still put like +16 prot on the endgame armor sets, but using red gems on plate/valor seems like a big waste.

Resistance wise, 3 50% lizards seems like overkill, my party's is nearly immune to everything (except the minotaur to cold) thanks to the ridiculous stats reached + all 4 shields. (of course the insect mage doesn't really bring me anything, but a ratling is like 20+ extra stat points, only will of which is wasted, less waste if you use guns+spells).
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

With my 2 alchemists I have a big supply of rage potions stocked up. When you really need more dps you simply drink a bunch of rage potions and onehit kill just about everything for the next hour. Therefor my dps is already pretty much unlimited.

Therefor the focus on max hp and protection and max resists. Dps was already covered.
The pyramid was one of the first areas where I went crazy with rage potions. I oneshotted just about everything in the pyramid.

I'm simply facetanking now because I can. No need to squaredance when your frontrow's health doesn't go down.
I have about 50 trollblood pots left to burn anyways :)
Banaora

Post by Banaora »

knr wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:28 pm
Adrageron wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:45 pm
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Hmm, looking through my discarded note pile, the only one that seems like it could fit is the cemetery one, which I took to be about the main use of the altars. No idea what the relics would be if it's that though. Maybe sleeping on it will help. Another scroll lead to the dragon, which I have, and a third seems to require cleansed elemental essences, which would put it after the statues.
Oh, I also have a bug report - you can sidestep off one ladder in bitter hills and one in the gorge (in the water) to go out of bounds.

And two places you can permanently lose something by accident (as in, without going out of your way to lose it). The arena can't be reentered after the last fight, so someone not picking up all the boss' loot would be dead-ended right there. And you can very easily permanently trap yourself out of the timed teleporter puzzle in the pyramid by throwing something out of reach on the pressure plate behind the timed bars. Which is in fact an extremely natural thing to happen there so that might be on purpose?
I'm also missing the last figurine. I was thinking about the cemetry note too,
SpoilerShow
but wasn't that the skeleton figurine you got for putting the remains on the altars?
There is another note talking about
SpoilerShow
the way of the elements while refering to the different ways of the mages in goldhaven. I just don't know how to activate this way if it exists.
Btw you can enter the arena after the last fight
SpoilerShow
through the other door on the other side. It's a secret.
Has anyone discovered how to enter the door near the alchemy practical lessons sign in the undertown?
SpoilerShow
I tried putting various potions on the altars but couldn't get the door open.
knr

Post by knr »

Yeah,
SpoilerShow
the way of the elements is the one I feel talks about already uncorrupted essences. Plus I haven't seen any hint on how to place them, just putting them in randomly didn't do anything. I had assumed the cemetery one refers to the remains, but I don't see any other scrolls that might function as statue hints, besides the dragon one.
As for the alchemy lessons,
SpoilerShow
note that there are fewer signs than altars.
And Pompidom, if I'd known how difficult this would get I'd have gone more minmaxy and made my spellcaster a ratling alchemist, as it stands I don't really have the herbs for more than a couple potions per fight, none of them rage.
Banaora

Post by Banaora »

knr wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:58 am Yeah,
SpoilerShow
the way of the elements is the one I feel talks about already uncorrupted essences. Plus I haven't seen any hint on how to place them, just putting them in randomly didn't do anything. I had assumed the cemetery one refers to the remains, but I don't see any other scrolls that might function as statue hints, besides the dragon one.
There are
SpoilerShow
four single elemental shrines. Fire in the pyramid, air in the gorge of the seven winds all up in the sky, earth in the moss caves and water in the sunken temple. If you look at the directions of these shrines from goldhaven, you get e,se,w,sw. Sadly putting the distorted essences in the corresponding alcoves did not yield any result.
knr wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:58 am As for the alchemy lessons,
SpoilerShow
note that there are fewer signs than altars.
I know.
SpoilerShow
That's what's so confusing to me. When it says rage I wonder whether to put the potion right or left of the sign and so on. So I tried that both ways and tried all potions on the remaining altar without success. I also thought maybe the signs tell the potion NOT to put on the altar so I tried to come up with other potions but there would be too many combinations. There must be something obvious I'm missing.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

I'm scratching my head over a lot of things in this mod, but I found the alchemy lesson puzzle rather straightforward.
You're not supposed to place potions there :)
Banaora

Post by Banaora »

Pompidom wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:26 am I'm scratching my head over a lot of things in this mod, but I found the alchemy lesson puzzle rather straightforward.
You're not supposed to place potions there :)
God, it's so simple. Thanks for giving this hint.

Btw. except for the one secret in the gorge of the seven winds -
SpoilerShow
which is the temple of the elements
- I found all the secrets on the archive notes. Strange thing is I'm still 3 secrets short on the total secret counter.