custom animation

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Re: custom animation

Post by minmay »

Animation is always a lot of work.
Part 13 of Skuggasveinn's editor tutorials shows how to make a Grimrock-compatible rigged and animated model in Blender from scratch.
If you want to start with an existing Grimrock model, I'd recommend you start with something simpler like dungeon_pit_trapdoor.model instead of a monster model. Monsters have a lot going on. But if you really want to learn about monster models specifically, I'd start with turtle.model; it has few bones with simple structure, and a head bone.

You might even want to start by making an object animation without bones, as you can do that for any model. Check out button models and their corresponding animations for that.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Thanks minmay. I will take your advice to heart and start easy to find out how to make my own animations. meanwhile (before reading your answer) ... I have made the green slime model 3 times that big, and also all animations that go with it. gave it a rat_swarm_brain and attack. made it see through (additive texture mode) ... so I kind of have a gelatinous cube thing now..
(will model it to what I want later if I figure out how to make my own animations)

but before I go on with that. One Question:
With this big green slime sample. It behaves like a rat swarm as I want it to behave... but when it stands on me, or in fact when it consumes me ... (is on my square) ... I see from the inside out. ... and I dont see any texture anymore... is there a way to also see from inside the cube - the texture ?

I hope I made my question clear :D :D :D

Also one more idea:
I am thinking if adding weapon models and bone models into the slime...
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

kelly1111 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 pm I see from the inside out. ... and I dont see any texture anymore... is there a way to also see from inside the cube - the texture ?
you could try to trigger party.party:playScreenEffect("im_melting") where im_melting is a some green screen effect that simulates the party being eaten by the cube.

also try to define the texture af the monster as doubleSided = true, this will perhaps mess up the ligthtning of the texture, but try it out and see if you like it.

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Skuggasveinn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:50 pm
kelly1111 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 pm I see from the inside out. ... and I dont see any texture anymore... is there a way to also see from inside the cube - the texture ?
you could try to trigger party.party:playScreenEffect("im_melting") where im_melting is a some green screen effect that simulates the party being eaten by the cube.

also try to define the texture af the monster as doubleSided = true, this will perhaps mess up the ligthtning of the texture, but try it out and see if you like it.

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn
doubleSided = true did the trick
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Is there someone willing to help me out a bit.
I need a simple cube animation (move forward,backward,strafe left, strafe right...)

Not something big... really only a cube that fills an entire square ...

So that I can experiment on the files i blender.

Anyone willing to make and share some animation files?

I am asking because i tried to make the block move with an animation in blender but get weird results in grimrock. It gives a warning... there are no bones/armature
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

kelly1111 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 pm I need a simple cube animation (move forward,backward,strafe left, strafe right...)
We are talking like Gelatinous Cube right ? not like the rolling Cube from Log 1 ?

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Skuggasveinn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:09 am
kelly1111 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 pm I need a simple cube animation (move forward,backward,strafe left, strafe right...)
We are talking like Gelatinous Cube right ? not like the rolling Cube from Log 1 ?

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn.
Yes indeed. Gelatinous Cube