champion skill points

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
RayB

champion skill points

Post by RayB »

I have created a puzzle where the champions need to cast a fireball and frost bolt in order to escape. when they arrive, if they don't
have enough skill in either, a button is created that uses the 'trainSkill' command to boost their fire and ice skills so they can make the
spells. Once they escape I would like to return them to the skill level they had when they arrived. In other words the skill boost would
only be temporary. For example, lets say they arrive with 2 skill points in fire magic and then get boosted to 13, I have tried using the script - champion:trainSkill("fire_magic", -11, true) - to get them back down to 2 but it doesn't change the skill points. They stay at 13.
Is there any way to accomplish removing skill points?
Pompidom

Re: champion skill points

Post by Pompidom »

And what is a player to do when they don't have a single Mage in their party?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Pompidom wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:17 pm And what is a player to do when they don't have a single Mage in their party?
Check out LoG floor 6 and how AH allowed parties without a mage to enter the Halls of Fire.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

I didn't play/finish Log1. Only the first 3 levels or something like that. Compared to LoG2 It felt like some boring extended easy tutorial for LoG2 that I couldn't be bothered with.

I find "specific skills needed" puzzles just overall bad in general.

if I were to build a puzzle that needed a frostbolt and a fireball as the solution i would simply lock the player up in the puzzle room.
Simply place a custom fireball staff and a custom frostbolt staff with 0 skills requirements on pedestals available to the player.

The locked door with the way out would need both staffs placed on pedestals next to the door to avoid any possibility to smuggle the staffs out of the room. As soon you take the staff from the pedestal, the door shuts down keeping you trapped until you place the staffs back on their pedestals. Regardless if you solved the puzzle or not. You can then choose if you want to solve the puzzle using the staffs shooting fireballs and frostbolts to the designated targets, or simply leave without solving the puzzle.

It ensures 0 frustration for the player, it makes the puzzle entirely optional, 0 bugs are possible, and it's much easier to code/build, the staffs themselves are basically a big hint to what needs to be done. Basically Quality of life improvements over some crappy messy solution like adding/removing skillpoints.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Pompidom wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:50 pm I didn't play/finish Log1. Only the first 3 levels or something like that. Compared to LoG2 It felt like some boring extended easy tutorial for LoG2 that I couldn't be bothered with.
It's not [like that all the way through]; and I actually find that I like LoG1 more than LoG2, aside from the improved scripting features; even the tile sets I seem to prefer... and the ogres, and spell casting too.

Also: The ORRR2 mod for LoG1; which has nine incredibly dense maps, and a few features that didn't exist in the base game until LoG2.
I highly recommend it—and Komag's Master Quest mod that recreates it in the editor... (You can't just open the campaign for LoG1 like you can with LoG2; LoG1 was made before it had the editor, and is structurally different.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

Isaac wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:51 pm
Pompidom wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:50 pm I didn't play/finish Log1. Only the first 3 levels or something like that. Compared to LoG2 It felt like some boring extended easy tutorial for LoG2 that I couldn't be bothered with.
even the tile sets I seem to prefer... and the ogres, and spell casting too.
That's why I'm heavily using Log1 default and custom tilesets in my mod as well.
But structurally and from a modding point of view, it's just LoG2 all the way for me :)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Engine-wise, I prefer LoG2; but you can't get the LoG1 campaign in LoG2—not least because Petri requested that no one build it in LoG2. ;)
minmay

Post by minmay »

Removing skill points in Grimrock 1 is only possible by calling Champion:setClass() to completely reset the character's skills - unfortunately this also resets their experience, and there's no way of getting back their original experience value. You can see the details here.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
RayB

Post by RayB »

Thanks for the help. I was really hoping there was a way to clear the skill points. As for pompidom's question, The puzzle was to be set up so as to boost the skills of the mage or mages if needed so they could make the spells and escape the area. However, in the event there were no mages in the party, the boost button would simply open the necessary doors instead of boosting the mages so they could be opened with spells.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Perhaps have an item similar to the power_weapon that shoots a fireball with a very long cooldown?
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.