Isle of the Deranged - Revision 1.1

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Slayer82

Re: Isle of the Deranged 2.2

Post by Slayer82 »

Thanks for responding =)... seriously loving the design of this Mod!!
About the heads I mean in general do they refer to things only in the area they are in or reference other areas with clues for them?
The empty alcove I figured it out... I had to re-read a note left that I had in my bags and it referenced the use of a certain item. However before I read it I did use trial and error with every item I had in my bags and eventually figured it out.

Couple other questions:
Are there always enough lockpicks to open all mystery chests and locked treasures? And are they always in the area that has the locked chest?
And speaking of digging does it only work at certain areas as referenced in game? Initially I started digging up every square and reloading after I was done with digging up an entire area. So far only areas referenced have treasure to dig.
Do I ever use mining pick? I am a hoarder but even with my insane strength minotaur I have to be thoughtful about what I keep.

In Nomad's Demise...
I am told by a head when its time to punish the prisoners keep... I am stumped on how to get the gate open so I can damage the other prisoner.
In Ktalak's domain is that the cave the head is referencing and in his main room there are 2 hallways with spikes blocking... do they open?

Sorry for all the questions...
It seems with the open world design there are aspects that are just design or aesthetic?
I actually ended up going to Ktalak first which I guess I was supposed to go to him last...
Secret discovery is really rewarding. Almost have my Wizard full max magic schools with all those yummy books!
thanks again
All good, man.

The heads are all different in that they either speak of somewhere close or far away. It probably annoys some players, but the mod is intended to be played slowly.
SpoilerShow
It doesn't matter if you meet Ktalak first, but I did create him last, so the mod feels as though you should battle him last.
SpoilerShow
The lock-picks should be equal to the number of locked chests. The lock-picks are placed all over the world and can be used wherever a locked chest is found.
SpoilerShow
The pickaxe is only useful for low-level characters, so discard it.
There are a few buried treasures, with a few located on the Main Beach (Hub Area where the beach is).
SpoilerShow
In Nomad's Demise - North, punish the guilty one (Zarchton) by activating the spike floor. If you kill the innocent one, then you miss out on a bonus. This is not story specific, so don't worry if you failed it.
SpoilerShow
The horizontal spikes are for aesthetics. There are a lot of blocked areas and spaces, because I wanted to create a particular atmosphere. It does confuse players, though.
The mod is designed to reward explanation and patience.

You will need to be a high level near the end part of the game, so don't worry about having a high level character.

I hope this has been helpful.
Mods - Isle of the Deranged & The Allure of Nightfall
http://grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9513
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14762
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Slayer82 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:18 pm
Thanks for responding =)... seriously loving the design of this Mod!!
About the heads I mean in general do they refer to things only in the area they are in or reference other areas with clues for them?
The empty alcove I figured it out... I had to re-read a note left that I had in my bags and it referenced the use of a certain item. However before I read it I did use trial and error with every item I had in my bags and eventually figured it out.

Couple other questions:
Are there always enough lockpicks to open all mystery chests and locked treasures? And are they always in the area that has the locked chest?
And speaking of digging does it only work at certain areas as referenced in game? Initially I started digging up every square and reloading after I was done with digging up an entire area. So far only areas referenced have treasure to dig.
Do I ever use mining pick? I am a hoarder but even with my insane strength minotaur I have to be thoughtful about what I keep.

In Nomad's Demise...
I am told by a head when its time to punish the prisoners keep... I am stumped on how to get the gate open so I can damage the other prisoner.
In Ktalak's domain is that the cave the head is referencing and in his main room there are 2 hallways with spikes blocking... do they open?

Sorry for all the questions...
It seems with the open world design there are aspects that are just design or aesthetic?
I actually ended up going to Ktalak first which I guess I was supposed to go to him last...
Secret discovery is really rewarding. Almost have my Wizard full max magic schools with all those yummy books!
thanks again
All good, man.

The heads are all different in that they either speak of somewhere close or far away. It probably annoys some players, but the mod is intended to be played slowly.
SpoilerShow
It doesn't matter if you meet Ktalak first, but I did create him last, so the mod feels as though you should battle him last.
SpoilerShow
The lock-picks should be equal to the number of locked chests. The lock-picks are placed all over the world and can be used wherever a locked chest is found.
SpoilerShow
The pickaxe is only useful for low-level characters, so discard it.
There are a few buried treasures, with a few located on the Main Beach (Hub Area where the beach is).
SpoilerShow
In Nomad's Demise - North, punish the guilty one (Zarchton) by activating the spike floor. If you kill the innocent one, then you miss out on a bonus. This is not story specific, so don't worry if you failed it.
SpoilerShow
The horizontal spikes are for aesthetics. There are a lot of blocked areas and spaces, because I wanted to create a particular atmosphere. It does confuse players, though.
The mod is designed to reward explanation and patience.

You will need to be a high level near the end part of the game, so don't worry about having a high level character.

I hope this has been helpful.
Oh the Mod is great and actually for some reason in Most open ended Mods I take the paths that are harder first. I always play on Hard as well. It worked out really well because by the time I got to Caldar I was able to devour the hunger room... haha
I did see there are enough keys however I found that out after going back to Zhaoze. So the lock picks follow a certain progression in placement.
SpoilerShow
I did figure out what I needed to do with prisoners in my mind as it said to leave the shelled one active. However I am not able to drop an item from above that pressure plate that hits the Zarchton and I am blocked from standing in front of it. The only option I have is to activate the turtle one
SpoilerShow
About the secret cavern. Beyond the library with books and the figurine placement which seems bugged is there anything down there? I managed to open the library with regular warg meat x3 (absolutely love the different languages placed there!!) I found the back room where there is a fire and ice arrow and poison potion. I tried placing them around in those alcoves to see if I could open a secret but nada.
Overall I appreciate some of the cues to do things like spear north opened. I think though sometimes the heads get confusing. Like I read one head that stated look to the lone dead tree in the NW for a solution. And then right down the path a head asking me for a woodwind which I assumed was connected so I went and chopped at the tree dug at the tree and nothing. I assumed that that one was referring to
SpoilerShow
the button to activate the block puzzle on the wall there
Also
SpoilerShow
Adventurers Haven the head says remove the earth essences. Did that just mean have them both from their location? By the time I got to elemental plains I had all 8 essences so it was open. Also in a note it says push on the wall in the haven and I have pressed on every brick in there or at least I think I have and found nothing
I know you are working on a new Mod and am looking forward to that so dont worry about this one too much. I will likely just ask some questions to clarify details. Since this is my first playthrough I will miss some secrets and want to go back and find them all. Is it possible for you to make a list of secrets per area by chance or is that too much work? I do not know if it as simple as opening each map to see a basic entry of secrets for that area? I do not need specifics just knowing that a certain area has a certain amount helps for my next playthrough. Oh the recommended party composition was perfect. So perfect !! I love alchemist duplication of herbs so much. I did notice that enemies that have new textures when frozen can lose that texture and become normal. the different slimes the giant metal golems stuff like that.

Again thanks for all the work on this Mod. I really like it a lot! And thanks for dealing with my Qs about the Mod in general. Besides the guy who made the videos it is hard to find google answers for Isle of the Deranged and watching someone play to get to an area where he might open a secret is arduous to say the least.
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

I'm glad you like it.

The longer a mod is, then the more chance for errors in design.
SpoilerShow
In Nomad's Demise - North, don't drop items onto the pressure plate from a distance; walk on them or place an item when you're close to them. In relation to this, you need to dive into the small pool in the west near the timber structure to open the spear doors. This is done by locating a secret button hidden underwater there. Then you can attempt the puzzle with the giant turtle and zarchton prisoners
There's little chance of me making a walk-through or secrets location. Unfortunately, I'm just too busy for that.
Speaking of the secrets, I have played the mod through several times and only found them all once. Some are locked off if you play it a certain way, and others are just hard to find. Don't feel bad if you can't find them all, because I have trouble :lol:
SpoilerShow
The secret cavern under Nomad's Demise - South is a bit of fun. The library only has a few surprises, but you don't have to do anything with the hidden room. The items are for aesthetics purposes.
The statue walls can confuse, but there isn't much of an alternative besides leaving too obvious clues, or letter dozens of letters.

The slimes that lose the texture pattern isn't something I can fix as they are another persons assets.

Yeah, the videos made by the person 'Nofairfight' are some kind of walkthrough, but that's about it.

What made you wait until now to play the mod? I was wondering, because it's over two years old now.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. It's hard to remember every aspect of my mod due to the length of time since I last played it.

Have fun!
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Thanks for the help. Maybe I will attempt to put together a secret location list of some sort. I managed to end the game with finding 29 of 35 so I missed 6. However if some get locked off hmmm... and if you sometimes miss your own Mods secrets... that is both a testament to a great build and a truly non linear build.

Took me this long to play because I just played Vaporum and that has no Modding kit and had me hungering for this type of game (its my fav of all time) Then I hopped around and played some other similar ones and decided to look at Nexus. And I found all these really extensive Mods like yours so I started my lengthy playthrough of many Mods for LoG2. It was like years I played LoG mods There was one that was enormous it was amazing. Yours reminds of that one. It is shorter but the depth of thought in design is there.

Thanks again for the Mod and help with questions.
I am curious walls like the one in Adventurer haven and the underwater and mountainous type texture do these ever have secret buttons? I know the regular flat walls underwater do and there are plates but what about the rocky type texture ones? and the darker brick walls? So far I find levers, different kinds of buttons (3 types) on flat grey type walls (round button, rectangle large center button and rectangle small lower right button), then there is the button on wooden beam walls and pressure plates as well as digging up stuff that activates things. Are there others?
SpoilerShow
In Nomad Demise I end up opening a 3 wall spear door that is also surrounded by bushes. There does not seem to be a plate there nor a dig spot. I am confused?
I am definitely looking forward to Allure of Nightfall if you are still working on it.
fatrem

Post by fatrem »

Thanks a lot for your mod. It's amazing. One of the three best mods in LoG2. Great level design, difficulty very well dosed, hints, never stupidly stuck.
Great moment. Thx again !
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

You're welcome.
I'm happy that you had a good time playing it.

I'll try an upload a patch (2.3) for the mod which incorporates a few fixes.
Slayer82

Re: Isle of the Deranged 2.3

Post by Slayer82 »

Version 2.3 uploaded...

Version 2.3

- Changelog -

* Reduced 'Olde Scorched Valley' boss health;
* Added escape lever in the 'Grimwern Excavation Site'.
* Tweaked some enemy health.
* Fixed the crash issue in 'Nomad's Demise - Cavern'.
* Added some minor visual details.

Version 2.3 - Isle of the Deranged

Please inform me of any issues that this patch update may cause. I haven't had much time to test all the changes, so there might be an issue. Hopefully, there isn't :)

Nexus Mods version has been uploaded. ModDb version is being uploaded now.
andyroosta

Post by andyroosta »

Cheers for the update..appreciated!
kingrilian

Post by kingrilian »

Earlier in the year I played up to the Nomads Demise Cavern and really enjoyed the game, but after the crash I didn't play any more until the update "Crash issue in 'Nomad's Demise - Cavern'." - I Down loaded and played version - Isle of the Deranged 2.3-37-2-3-1542511470, placed the object and it crashed again. can I finish the game? I must say this has been an exceptionally good mod enjoyed it, hope I can finish it
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Hi, Kingrilian.

I cannot replicate the crash you are experiencing. If you could sned me a personal message with the crash screen, then that would be appreciated.
SpoilerShow
The Nomad's Demise - Cavern is a bonus area, and is not required to finish the mod.
You can continue your journey by both searching the rest of the cavern or by ignoring the stage altogether.

I hope this has helped you.

Cheers,
Slayer.