clicking on a wall

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: clicking on a wall

Post by Isaac »

KhrougH wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:14 pm but it doesn't work!!! i did it 2 times: the first give me errors when i export it from blender as *.model
and the second give me error in LoG2 editor, when i place it on the map.
First thing first, download Blender version 2.72, and install the bitcopy import/export script to it. The script is broken on all later versions of Blender.

Load your .blend file, and try exporting it.
KhrougH

Post by KhrougH »

My blender version is 2.79b...
Do you think a newer version doesn't work for LoG2?
[...]
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Yes, that is it exactly. The Blender plugin script that adds the LoG formats does not play nice with more recent versions of Blender. You already have a Blender foundation folder, just install version 2.72 alongside 2.79; in a separate folder. Use 2.72 for Grimrock work.

KhrougH

Post by KhrougH »

Isaac wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:25 am You already have a Blender foundation folder, just install version 2.72 alongside 2.79; in a separate folder. Use 2.72 for Grimrock work.
one is enough... but even using v2.72 it send me errors exporting models
[...]
Time to die.
THOM

Post by THOM »

Yes - in this case it is not the Blenderversion you are using. Even Isaac is right that you MUST use Version 2.72 if you want to export a model to a Grimrock-Model.

Anyway: In this case the important info is shown in the error-log. As stated in it, the most recent call is the last one: "Tangent space can only be computed for Tris/Quads". That means, your model has faces that are not a triangle or a square. There is somewhere an automated clean up entry in a menue. Sadly I'm not at home and can't tell you where exactly...
THOM formaly known as tschrage
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Ah yeah, it's true that I didn't DL the asset to examine it. :oops:
KhrougH

Post by KhrougH »

THOM wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:08 pm Yes - in this case it is not the Blenderversion you are using. Even Isaac is right that you MUST use Version 2.72 if you want to export a model to a Grimrock-Model.

Anyway: In this case the important info is shown in the error-log. As stated in it, the most recent call is the last one: "Tangent space can only be computed for Tris/Quads". That means, your model has faces that are not a triangle or a square. There is somewhere an automated clean up entry in a menue. Sadly I'm not at home and can't tell you where exactly...
wait a minute...
do you mean that a correct model for LoG2 need only faces delimited by 3 maximum 4 edges?
or also 4 edges must be in a specified shape as a square or a rectangle?
if i have a rhombus... it can stand or should i slice in triangles?

and than i have more questions...

1) I imported in blender a model of an asset that has no defineModel, so no textures or normalmap. i modified and i exported. and it works ... but still without normalmap or texture files.
so my question is... HOW??? :shock:

2) do i have to define material and texture INTO blender before exporting in "model" extention or the lua script is enough to define normalMap, diffuse and specular?
i don't know if LoG2 render every object. so i only make the model in blender, the rest is made by the game engine. (?)
[...]
Time to die.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

A model file can be Blender empties; and they will show up as (even animated) nodes in the model.

For the materials, just having the assigned material names in Blender match the material names defined in the game, is enough; no need to import or reference the image files—technically. In practice, it's nice to assign textures so that it can be shaded in 3D view.
KhrougH

Post by KhrougH »

Isaac wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:49 am A model file can be Blender empties; and they will show up as (even animated) nodes in the model.

For the materials, just having the assigned material names in Blender match the material names defined in the game, is enough; no need to import or reference the image files—technically. In practice, it's nice to assign textures so that it can be shaded in 3D view.
it means that if i assign dds files in blender i don't have to defineMaterial in a Lua script, right?
should I place dds file anyway in the asset or i don't need to fo it because they're already part of the model?
[...]
Time to die.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

1) I imported in blender a model of an asset that has no defineModel, so no textures or normalmap. i modified and i exported. and it works ... but still without normalmap or texture files.
so my question is... HOW??? :shock:

2) do i have to define material and texture INTO blender before exporting in "model" extention or the lua script is enough to define normalMap, diffuse and specular?
i don't know if LoG2 render every object. so i only make the model in blender, the rest is made by the game engine. (?)
[/quote]

ill try if I can help, but not an expert in blender here.

if you select a model in object mode or editmode, then on the right side of blender screen you can select a round shape ("type of active data to display and edit: MATERIALS ") ... in here you can press the + button to add a material to your object.. you can give this material a name an assign it to your object. ... so for instance the name that is in your materials script. for instance floor_corpse (which has in the materials scipt, the diffuse, specular and normal map info)

also in object mode with your object selected .. search for the type of active data to display and edit: MODIFIERS.. and use the triangulate modifier before exporting, this usually helps if you are unable to export the model..

hope this helps you out