Dirt Cave

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Skuggasveinn

Re: Dirt Cave

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Personally I like the ceiling, especially if you add more random wines and stuff hanging from it.
Regarding the water flow and UV maps, you should definitely look into it, I did some stuff way back that used this technique and it opens up a lot of possibilities.
Just keep the UV's straight flowing from one model to the next and you can bend any way you want.
SpoilerShow
The modular river that I did came out really good.
SpoilerShow
And when it moves the magic comes to live :)
https://www.zorglubb.net/grimrock/dropz ... rRiver.mp4

I can dig up the files for the modular river and send it to you if you want to study it ?

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

These materials look like they are using tangent normal-maps. The format for the normal-maps is different in LoG2, than it was in LoG1.

minmay posted a tutorial and a conversion script for GIMP. You should convert your normal maps with it.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8080&p=103867&hilit=GIMP#p103867
minmay

Post by minmay »

Grimrock 2 normal maps are tangent-space as well, the only change is which colour channels are used.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

minmay wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:57 am Grimrock 2 normal maps are tangent-space as well, the only change is which colour channels are used.
I would have sworn that I'd read they were Object maps.

*We've had this conversation before ;) , but it ended with a question that I never saw the answer to—and then later forgot about it.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7951&p=109105&hili ... ls#p109105

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7951&p=109105&hili ... ls#p109107
minmay

Post by minmay »

Isaac wrote:I would have sworn that I'd read they were Object maps.
If you read that, then whoever wrote it was a liar.

Object-space normal maps aren't used in Grimrock because an object-space normal map really only works for the specific geometry it was baked for. If you wanted to use the same texture on more than one mesh, you'd need more than one normal map. If you wanted to use the texture on something that deforms (such as an animated monster), you would need to do some pretty wacky stuff to make that work. If you wanted the texture to tile, well, good luck with that.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

minmay wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:56 am
Isaac wrote:I would have sworn that I'd read they were Object maps.
If you read that, then whoever wrote it was a liar.

Object-space normal maps aren't used in Grimrock because an object-space normal map really only works for the specific geometry it was baked for. If you wanted to use the same texture on more than one mesh, you'd need more than one normal map. If you wanted to use the texture on something that deforms (such as an animated monster), you would need to do some pretty wacky stuff to make that work. If you wanted the texture to tile, well, good luck with that.
Thanks, this is [as always] useful & welcome information.

*I doubt anyone would lie about it; much less put it falsely in print. It's more likely that I got that impression from something somewhere—some (long) time back, and never really pursued the facts of it... eventually forgetting to doubt it.

But no more. ;)
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Skuggasveinn wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:59 am Personally I like the ceiling, especially if you add more random wines and stuff hanging from it.
Regarding the water flow and UV maps, you should definitely look into it, I did some stuff way back that used this technique and it opens up a lot of possibilities.
Just keep the UV's straight flowing from one model to the next and you can bend any way you want.
SpoilerShow
The modular river that I did came out really good.
SpoilerShow
And when it moves the magic comes to live :)
https://www.zorglubb.net/grimrock/dropz ... rRiver.mp4

I can dig up the files for the modular river and send it to you if you want to study it ?

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn.
Thanks Skuggs. I would like to have a look at your modular river files. It looks really good, and I want to add some more bends and part to the gutters system I am planning.

Concerning the ceiling. I have something in mind with vegitation that I will show later for feedback.
A little bit stuck on making plants that come straight out of the stone or more work.. but nicer ..out of the cracks between, but then I'll have to design more parts...

@Isaac. So far as I know I am using normal maps in the log2 format. (The green ones, I use mindmap to make a normal map from diffuse and then did the gimp thing .. where I make the red and green channels black)

Perhaps you mean that the overal texture theme is to dark ...causing the wro g tangents ? ... can you be more specific ? I would like to know what looks "bad" so I can tweak it. ... or perhaps I need to flip normals (still havent figured out a the stuff and learning)

In general. I am thi g of bringing this tileset out in a few weeks... but would really appriciate it if someone would be willing to look over my scrips, models and textures by then... so that I can make it more user friendly, less bloated. Atm these objects are incorperated into my mod assets and not in their own folder... so ill have to bundle them to distrubute it. Any help would be appriciated. But for tge time beeing ...it is not tet complete and I have more ideas to add.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

kelly1111 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 am @Isaac. So far as I know I am using normal maps in the log2 format. (The green ones, I use mindmap to make a normal map from diffuse and then did the gimp thing .. where I make the red and green channels black)

Perhaps you mean that the overal texture theme is to dark ...causing the wro g tangents ? ... can you be more specific ? I would like to know what looks "bad" so I can tweak it. ... or perhaps I need to flip normals (still havent figured out a the stuff and learning)
It was the very harsh, and pronounced black shadows that had me assume they were incorrect normal maps.

kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Thanks Isaac. I will look into it. The shadows do seem what off...but I am using normal maps from grimrock 2 ...
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

some small aditions and tweaks I want to show.
Another variations of a dungeon tileset I am trying..

this next one needs more tweaking

trying to create 45degree walls