Dirt Cave

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Re: Dirt Cave

Post by minmay »

kelly1111 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pmAnd I was wondering if using floortile models this way will hurt performance / FPS ?
Hard to answer this without knowing how many triangles the floor models actually have!
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

minmay wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:01 pm
kelly1111 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pmAnd I was wondering if using floortile models this way will hurt performance / FPS ?
Hard to answer this without knowing how many triangles the floor models actually have!
I checked in blender. The model has 2400 tris ... is that high?
minmay

Post by minmay »

It's fairly high for a model that's being repeated that many times, but probably fine depending on just how many you can see at once, and just how much other geometry is on the level; modern graphics cards have no problem rendering over 1,000,000 triangles in a scene.
Remember that you can use a lod0_mesh and a lod1_mesh to improve this.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Thanks minmay. I think I'll try to decimate the models a bit in blender to get the tris count down. Still trying to learn how to do things in blender. So this will be good practise.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Trying to create a sideway gutter. Slow moving water...(perhaps I need to make the water more greenish...uglier)

Also ... does anyone know of an easy way to cram some vegitation between the tiles in blender, without using to many models ..
I am thinking of making a seperate overlay model for all the tiles that has ...floor vines... and also one with mushroom variations...
same for the ceilings later on..
still not satisfied with the wood look

little drain :)

Wish I could make the water texture turn around in a bend / corner... without looking weird. ...I'll stick to straight lines for now
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

screenshots low res low gfx settings on toaster laptop, looks better in high.

https://ibb.co/hkAoXe
https://ibb.co/msMqdK
https://ibb.co/jzZCQz

I made a sewer system level under my town myself last month by simply combining flooded tiles and horizontal waterfall flow top from zim including splashing sounds when the party or monsters move in it.

Doesn't look great, but gets the job done and it can make corners and flows in to the direction you want it to flow :)
minmay

Post by minmay »

kelly1111 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:42 pmWish I could make the water texture turn around in a bend / corner... without looking weird. ...I'll stick to straight lines for now
Start with a straight model and UV unwrap it, then add the bends to the model without changing the UV map. That way the water texture's movement will follow the bends.
(Or you could start with the bent model and straighten out the UV map; the "Follow Active Quads" option could help in that case.)
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

kelly1111 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:42 pm Trying to create a sideway gutter. Slow moving water...(perhaps I need to make the water more greenish...uglier)
Looks great! Request for a mini river of blood (red/crimson) version?? :D
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

On vacation in Italy. Back in 2 weeks :D
Rivers of blooood will flow. Good idea
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Back to work:

Some new pictures. And feedback wanted on ideas / ceiling in the last screenshot.

(glowing mushrooms/lightsource / and a sort of outlet flow, for my gutter system.. still need to work on the tip from minmay with the uv-maps.. so that I can let the water flow in corners etc)

A variation of blocks with candles on them.. for corners.. I have made some more with clickable/surfaces so that items can be put on them) ... still have to tweak some more to get a bit more detail/mossy stuff)

(altered wallshrooms from germanny's pack) ... looking for more ideas on shrooms/mossy theme..any suggestions?

wanting more variation for the ceilings... currently have the ceiling with the wooden beams.. and this one. does this one fit with the theme? or is it too much ?

(this is to cartoonisch...and not dark enough... but it is how I want the rocks to be..the pockmark effect... and the atmosphere.. havent found any textures that work ..any suggestions)