Dirt Cave

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
kelly1111

Re: Dirt Cave

Post by kelly1111 »

Some more screens of the work in progress:

I will credit all the authors (of the tilesets I used to combine into this mod)
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Curunir

Post by Curunir »

I really, REALLY love the vibe you managed to achieve here!

Everything looks really great, only thing I can think if would be either more defined divisions in the stone slabs in the last shot's ceilings, or making them more jaggy, the way the mine assets are, to make the tiling less obvious, if you want a natural rock look.

Great job, really! Love the arched ceiling! For some reason I'm getting a Thief vibe from those shots and that's a great thing! :D
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

kelly1111 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:36 pm Image
I'm just loving this, really great what you did to the plaster walls :D

keep it up, looks so good.

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Excellent work!

I'm sure your work will be a great new edition to many upcoming mods.

I look forward to your release.
Mods - Isle of the Deranged & The Allure of Nightfall
http://grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9513
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14762
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

very still in progress screenshot of a tileset I am fiddling with at the moment....
Figuring out what textures to use... that look good ..gritty and pockmarked theme

Suggestions, tips and feedback are needed and welcome. Am I making things to dark?
The goal is to make a set that has an aged feel to it, kinda damp and weathered... Planning on adding lichen, lots of muschrooms and stuff later on.

Also... would like to make a sort of channel into the floor in which water flows alonside the walls...
But havent figured out how to do that propperly yet.

And I was wondering if using floortile models this way will hurt performance / FPS ?

Last edited by kelly1111 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

I wouldn't worry about making things too dark.

The biggest problem is actually that it's never dark enough.
For example the first thing I usually mod in a single player game like for example Skyrim is making it darker so the contrast between light sources and their surroundings and shadows is much more profound.

Same with legend of grimrock. Just do your thing, then walk around in it without a torch, then make a test walk with a torch and then make a test walk with light spell activated and adjust then accordingly to your own preference.

Besides you have no idea anyways what monitors and monitor settings people use. Some people will have their brightness all the way up while some people will have it all the way down making your adjustments trivial. And then there's different tastes.

Your screenshots look great, and there is little point in wasting valuable time stressing about such trivial matters.

Not once has it crossed my mind in any of the log2 mods that an areas is too dark simply because you can use torches and light spells. It's actually always been quite the opposite.

I have eliminated torches in my mod completely. And I plan to eliminate the light spell as well.
By placing atmospheric light sources strategically people will have to get by.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Good to hear you are thinking the same way about light sources. I am also planning on eliminating the lightspell and greatly reducing the use of torches in my mod. I just think ... that with some well planned and placed lightsources I can communicate the atmosphere of my mod and what I intended with it much better.

Planning on tweaking around with fog particles and fog systems also.. to make things more claustrophobic and obscure inside my little deathtrap mod later on.
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

kelly1111 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm Also... would like to make a sort of channel into the floor in which water flows alongside the walls...
But haven't figured out how to do that properly yet.
I know Zimber had included a trickling rivulet type stream that flows through his forested areas...
That may be a good starting point?

New stone wall set looks fantastic hey ;)
Have you ever sourced free (or not) model packages from sites like the Unity shop... I did a little back tracking and found that those sites are where Vanblam had found some of the models he teased in his Shadowgate thread... could be an idea to help finish off your Cave wall set, maybe? (not implying you or your wall set needs help lol)