[MOD] Bloodwych remake - The Rise of Zendik

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
wagtunes

Re: [MOD] Bloodwych remake - The Rise of Zendik

Post by wagtunes »

I double checked on the sequence of events. I was trying to do it by memory but it's slightly different. Still, I need the key to do step 1.

Step 1, open door and turn pit into pressure plate.

Step 2, step on pressure plate to open door to right

Step 3, press button in room on right to open door iin back of pressure plate

It's a simple 3 step sequence that needs the key to begin it.

Nothing complicated here. The key doesn't exist and there's nothing left to do in this game to make it exist. If there were creatures left to kill, I could understand maybe one of them dropping the key. But nobody has, including the 2 dragons that I had to kill at the very beginning of level 1 of this tower.

There is simply nothing left to do.

Now, map errors? Have found a couple. On level 1, there IS supposed to be a key just to the right of the false wall. There is nothing there. The map says there should be but it's not there. And there's nothing to kill or press or do to make it suddenly appear there. In fact, I just loaded the game prior to entering the first level of the Zendik Tower (I keep multiple saves at various locations in case I have to start over) and upon walking into the room, I took 3 steps left and then turned left in order to walk the next 2 steps to retrieve the kay that, supposedly, the map says is there. Upon attempting to walk, I ran right into a pillar that is not marked on the map. It's not supposed to be there but it is. And there are no buttons anywhere to remove it.

You can check out all the maps below.

http://www.alanchapman.org/bloodwych/maps.html

Check out Zendik's levels 1 and 2.

If you want, I can even walk you through the entire thing. I've played this mod enough times that I know it by heart.

The key I need doesn't exist.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Mystery solved. It was a map error. Lesson learned. Never trust the maps. They lie.

We should be good from here on because I know the last 2 levels work fine.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Didn't some Bloodwych maps dynamically spawn pillars? (Pillars that had secret buttons to remove them...)
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote:Didn't some Bloodwych maps dynamically spawn pillars? (Pillars that had secret buttons to remove them...)
Yes, supposedly the maps show all the pilars that can be removed and spawned but I have found that this too isn't completely accurate. In fact, there is one section of the map in the Main levels where it shows a white open space where in reality there is a wall there and it's not removable.

I have had to make some adjustments along the way, but this particular level (Zendik 2) has been the toughest. Actually, it was level 1 where the discrepancy occurred. Like I said, don't trust maps entirely. They're not always accurate. So that's on me. I'll know better next time.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Been a while. Can't tell you how many times I've played this mod. My favorite of them all.

Trying to create a level with pillars like you had in this mod but the ones that come stock with the game don't actually block paths. They're just more for decoration. How did you create the blocking pillars? I'm trying to find somewhere in the documentation that explains what "blocker" in the dungeon editor is and how it's used but no luck. Documentation on the dungeon editor in general is pretty sparse. Makes figuring things out a kind of trial and error process.

Anyway, if you could lend a hand that would be great.
HypnoToad

Post by HypnoToad »

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:26 pm Been a while. Can't tell you how many times I've played this mod. My favorite of them all.

Trying to create a level with pillars like you had in this mod but the ones that come stock with the game don't actually block paths. They're just more for decoration. How did you create the blocking pillars? I'm trying to find somewhere in the documentation that explains what "blocker" in the dungeon editor is and how it's used but no luck. Documentation on the dungeon editor in general is pretty sparse. Makes figuring things out a kind of trial and error process.

Anyway, if you could lend a hand that would be great.
Placing things with the dungeon editor is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but the hard part for me at least was scripting, it's the key to getting things right IMO and the hardest part. I had lots of help from people on here thankfully.

And those blocking pillars in this game were a real nuisance, I put an X on the map where they were, it was the only way I could find my way around without continually running into a dead end.
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Had to come back and say what an amazing mod this is. Have played it like 10 times already.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

Hi wagtunes,

Apologies for the late reply on this. Let me have a read through all the posts you have made, then I will fire up the game and try to address the issues you have seen. Also, happy if you want to PM me about anything.
Zastaph
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

fazzasx wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 pm Hi wagtunes,

Apologies for the late reply on this. Let me have a read through all the posts you have made, then I will fire up the game and try to address the issues you have seen. Also, happy if you want to PM me about anything.
No problem. I figured everything out except how to create blocking pillars for a dungeon I'm working on. Is there any chance to get some of the mods and code you created for this dungeon? Some of this stuff is really awesome. Like I said, favorite user created dungeon of them all.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

Hi wagtunes,

Please see link to below dropbox that contains the model for the centre pillar. Note that you would need to texture it with whatever texture your using.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qql4kl7xubtg ... VxQAa?dl=0

Also,

I do have an updated version of my mod that includes the almost completed extended levels and also a more accurate magic system. I will check it out over the coming days and attempt to post it.

Let me know how your mod goes and good luck.
Zastaph