Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Xardas

Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Post by Xardas »

Isaac wrote:Question: Is it possible to define an object with a custom editor icon?

(Is it possible to assign a custom editor Icon atlas?)
Is this, what you are trying to do?
http://grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12725
In order to get to the other side of the pit you have to get hit by the fireball and die....
Yep.....moving on!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Thanks for the link Xardas. 8-)

...And my conclusion is confirmed:
minmay wrote:cant be done without modifying grimrock2.dat
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

There is no simple way to trim down an asset pack to just a handful of resources you want, right?

I spent an hour and a half doing that with THOM's Journey to Justice pack and left just the five assets I wanted, but it was quite a bit of a pain figuring out all the file dependencies and pruning both the LUA files and the textures/models/etc.

I'm currently eyeing Zimber's zim-assets but again I want a handful of things and it's quite a hefty pack and I want to minimize .dat bloat as much as I can.
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Nope, no simple way as you have to delete all the script/image/model files that you're not going to use.
you can just make sure the scripts are never inited, there will be less load on the game, but the bloat will still be there.
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Fair enough, I thought as much.

Luckily, I need just a tiny handful of items and I hope I can get them to work without too much trouble.

I think the hardest thing will be pinching out the three individual monsters I wanted. The rest I already have - the cornucopia, the fancy skull and the cemetery trail brick tile.
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Most of my stuff doesn't rely on anything. Will require the zimscript at most.
Monsters only need their script file, and sometimes a model or texture. You can easily check what they need by looking at the model component for model/material overrides, and looking for extra model components (like the wings for the imp lord)
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

It's what I've been doing! Thanks for the replies!

Only thing that won't work out as intended seems to be the scavenger queen eggs. The definition has a material override that sets the web component of the mesh to 'null', but I still see milky-white blank polygons ingame. Any idea why?

I also tried materialOverrides = { ["spider_webs"] = "invisible" }, same difference.

Edit: I got it. I had cut out the "null" material translucent definition from the init file. Putting it back in fixed it!

I'm so done fiddling around with external assets! :D Over 6 hours to pluck 3 monsters, half a dozen items and five objects from 3 packs. My head hurts.

Still, sincere thanks to THOM, Zimber and Vanblam for their hard work. Just looking at the tons of LUA I went through is nuts, typing and coordinating it all is just insane!
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

If I want to play a sound at a fainter volume that the default, what would make more sense - refedining the sound and giving the new entity a lower volume or just using playSoundAt and putting the source a tile away from the party, which is static in my scenario?
THOM

Post by THOM »

Neither.
Use SoundComponent:setVolume(number)

eg.

Code: Select all

myobject.sound:setVolume(0.5)
THOM formaly known as tschrage
Curunir

Post by Curunir »