Project Default Town Map

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Curunir

Re: Project Default Town Map

Post by Curunir »

Pompidom wrote: Make a town map with shops/quests/crafting/alchemy/enchanting/blacksmith system and so on.
At this point, I have to ask, why are you trying to implement this in the Grimrock engine and not something else that has built-in support AND is designed around those mechanics?
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Instead of 1 person slaving for months or even years at his own personal mod.
If they want to use other peoples assets, they can just do that. Takes two hours tops to init all the assets you want.
This Town map will allow for a cooperation of default modders who just want to make a nice single generic exploration map and add it to the mod as a filler map.
Key word is 'generic'.
If every mod uses the exact same thing it becomes mundane real quick.
Make a town map with shops/quests/crafting/alchemy/enchanting/blacksmith system and so on.
Then craft an endgame dungeon with endgame boss which is accessible right from the start.

And all the other maps are just optional fillers with optional combat/puzzles/exploration to become stronger so you are actually able to beat the endgame dungeon.
Multiple people can add their own maps to it without any dependencies to the other maps.
Basically your party travels far and wide in search for treasure, knowledge and artifacts in the hopes of getting strong enough to defeat the endgame villain or something like that storywise.
Each map contains some treasure at the end which you can use or sell.
So you're trying to turn Grimrock into an Elder Scrolls game.
I get that, had the idea myself, and pretty sure a lot of people did.
But the amount of work required to get this to work properly is insane, and may never be finished before the heat death of the universe.
I bet there are a bunch of modders out there that made a single nice looking map but since it's just one map, they haven't really done anything with it.
So if I get this right, you want a collection of peoples map to be integrated into a community made mod.
Sounds a lot like the round robin project.
Like an RPG maker.
And just as generic.

Also, by lowering the bar for mod making, you're also lowering the bar for quality content.
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

Yes, basically what you said.

A mod with multiple maps from different modders that are connected into 1 bigger world
As long every single map has no dependencies on other maps, I believe it shouldn't really be an issue.

Every map has some monsters to fight and puzzles to solve, some loot to haul back.

It might feel generic and mundane for you, that doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable.
The quality of some maps will suffer with lesser experienced mappers as you said, but quite frankly, I don't really care.

I just want to create a world with lots of maps made by multiple people and a town map to return to where you can buy/sell/craft/enchant your equipment and spells and then go back in to clear some more "generic" maps by "mundane" people.

Just teaching myself for now some simple stuff in a testmap i'm making.
Any hint to set these archer guys at a height of 1.5? Now they're standing on a platform on height 2

https://ibb.co/djRyyy
https://ibb.co/mysz5d
Last edited by Pompidom on Fri May 11, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Like I said, there is already a thing like that: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9863
And since that project is pretty much dead, don't except for this to go any better, especially with your ambitious plans.
Btw, any hint to set these archer guys at a height of 1.5? Now they're standing on a platform on height 2
If you weren't just copy pasting and at least explored the content, you'd know.
My asset pack [v1.10]
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

I quickly browsed through it. Seemed like a nice community mod.

They also ran into issues I plan to eliminate from the start.
Mainly the town map eliminates most issues they ran into.
And all the other maps are just filler.

People can contribute maps.

Monster balance can be changed on a map per map basis depending how far your specific map is located from the town map later on.
That's it.

And offcourse I'm just copy/pasting. I'm trying to learn :)

That's what I said from the start. Why try to make something original when you can just copy the good stuff from much more talented modders.

Make a forest, place some trees, place some monsters, place a little puzzle. Done, next map.
Last edited by Pompidom on Fri May 11, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

zimberzimber wrote: especially with your ambitious plans.
The assets are out there, created by experienced modders and coders like you.
They just have to be implemented or copied in 1 single Townmap. And from then on any "default" map modder can just create his personal "default" map and contribute to the project.

I'm just throwing an idea out there. if there are enough people that are willing to contribute a random map, I don't really see the issue.
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

That's wnat I said from the start. Why try to make something original when you can just copy the good stuff from much more talented modders.
I'm done
My asset pack [v1.10]
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

zimberzimber wrote:
That's wnat I said from the start. Why try to make something original when you can just copy the good stuff from much more talented modders.
I'm done
Pretty contradictory there. You release an asset pack for other modders to copy and use.
And when someone actually wants to copy and use your assets simply for the sake of getting more content out there, it's all suddenly a big no-no to you.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

The issue is, instead of working within the limitations of the game and your knowledge and trying to make the best adventure possible with the tools at hand, you propose a project of monstrous proportions, which requires an insane amount of coordination and work. As zimber pointed out, there's been a project like that in the works since 2015 and it's dead because a lot of the people involved in it are no longer frequenting those boards.

Even if we leave the game design merits of shops and crafting aside, it's just a mammoth amount of work to do. Previously I thought you just wanted to make a single town hub map and upload that as a community asset for others, but it seems you want another community project, which is nearly impossible to pull off, given the amount of time and dedication and the number of modders you would need.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

Curunir wrote:The issue is, instead of working within the limitations of the game and your knowledge and trying to make the best adventure possible with the tools at hand, you propose a project of monstrous proportions, which requires an insane amount of coordination and work. As zimber pointed out, there's been a project like that in the works since 2015 and it's dead because a lot of the people involved in it are no longer frequenting those boards.

Even if we leave the game design merits of shops and crafting aside, it's just a mammoth amount of work to do. Previously I thought you just wanted to make a single town hub map and upload that as a community asset for others, but it seems you want another community project, which is nearly impossible to pull off, given the amount of time and dedication and the number of modders you would need.

No, the only issue here is clearly that you suffer from autism or something else and you're just trolling because you personally like hobo simulators.
And you simply want to watch other projects fail for no reason whatsoever.
The fact that you didn't like the eye of Atlantis mod basically says it all.
It's currently the most favorite mod by the majority of the LoG2 playerbase, so clearly your personal taste differs from the big majority out there.

It's all just 1 big pile of negativity from you.
I told you before, don't bother posting in this topic.

What i'm proposing is actually the most easy project of all.

Making a town map is just like creating any other map. So that's piss easy. Use the downloadable Town assets and you're good to go.
Then adding clunky alcove shops is simply following a youtube tutorial granted I have access to the script, which i currently don't since the links are expired.
And then adding default maps around the Town is just a matter of how many people are willing to pump out random filler maps.