Project Default Town Map

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
AndakRainor

Re: Project Default Town Map

Post by AndakRainor »

Current look of a random town:
SpoilerShow
tavern:
SpoilerShow
shop (armors):
SpoilerShow
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Looking pretty neat ! Keep up the good work
Mysterious

Post by Mysterious »

To Curunir your 2 cents sucks man where did you come from? This person has a great idea and you just it. Dude go back to Skyrim.

Pompidom Im in If you want help just pm me :)
Mysterious

Post by Mysterious »

My skills atm:

1- Can code dialog for Main quests and Side quest using grimtk and more
2 - Can code forge crafting systems using ArdTru system + have all the the 3d and 2d objects
3 - Can code a good story line with huge dialog boxes or small. (love it)
4 - I wanna do this story and non-linar path
5 - The Northern Realms is back omg
6 - Imagination I have plenty of eg: map creation, towns, levels and much more

Just give me a go that's all :)
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Mysterious wrote:To Curunir your 2 cents sucks man where did you come from? This person has a great idea and you just it. Dude go back to Skyrim.

Pompidom Im in If you want help just pm me :)
Like, dude, I just think a shop system and a currency that is used for BUYING items has no place in a game where new gear should be gained through exploration and secret-hunting by design, dude. Because you know what, neither Dungeon Master nor Eye of the Beholder had shops and those are the games Grimrock is literally built up on. The reason why they didn't have shops is that it would clash with the design philosophy and the core gameplay.

So maybe you should be doing the going back to Skyrim, which does have ships, huh, dude. Just a thought.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

Curunir, it would be nice if you would stop thrashing this topic. You don't like this project, fine we get it. Just move on.

This project is about "Modding". You know, using a game engine to create something vastly different.
There are plenty of Gridbased RPG's out there with shops.

Not every mod has to be a boring, wall shuffling, secret button searching hobo simulator which you apparently seem to enjoy.

The goal of this project is to create a town with the most popular features of other mods so people can build their world around it and create their own little RPG.
And yes with custom shops/blacksmith/alchemist /quest npc's etc... like a real RPG
And make it something more like Might and Magic X Legacy for example.

And like most RPG's you level up your characters, get expensive epic items/weapons and spells until your party is strong enough to take on the endgame dungeon and boss.

Adding weapons/armor/item/magic shops allows for more freedom for personal customization of your party which is very popular with the limited amount of currency you will acquire through your journey.

The best example I can give you is the Serpent Staff from the Default LoG2 Campaign. Inventory clutter made me throw away this useless staff on my first playtrough as i had no idea
it was the key to opening the pyramid. Stuff like that is not funny and is simply poor developer logic. Having to restart a game all over again or start console cheating because inventory clutter made you throw away the Serpent staff or do something alternate than the developers intended and then get stuck permanently is just bad.

Also running around with a Barbarian skilled in Heavy weapons and then not finding a Heavy weapon for the first half of the game isn't really enjoyable.
The freedom to sell some loot so you can buy a decent Heavy weapon for your Barbarian makes much more sense than running Hobo Simulator 2018 on a creepy island.
Having the freedom to make purchase choices after each quest tailored to your specific party setup is more satisfying and convenient then stumbling on generic useless crap.

Suppose I download a mod and I want to run the mod with 4 characters skilled in missile weapons without any knowledge about the weapons I'm going to find.
I'm obviously not going to enjoy it when it turns out there are no bows or crossbows to be found.
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

No need for sharp words folks, we are all on the same team here 8-)
And at the end of the day - modding is an expression of personal preference ... actually a little bit funny / ?ironic? given the beloved game in question is based
on another earlier game, the name of which is a saying referring to the subjective nature of things - "its all in the eye of the beholder" :D

This project is great, and really cool to see motivated people putting their hands up to volunteer
So that modders can further customize how or which parts of this 'town' package they want to run with - we could set up the init.lua in a similar fashion to
minmay's Grimrock1 mega pack - ie; setting a bunch of global variables to either true or false .... which then determines which parts / features / things are
imported when the mod initializes. Ive taken a sample of what I mean:
SpoilerShow

Code: Select all

G1_TILESETS_USED = {
	dungeon=false,
	deep_dungeon=false,
	northern_dungeon=false,
	temple=false,
	dark_temple=false,
	darkelf_temple=true,
	deep_temple=true,
	frozen_temple=true,
	high_temple=true,
	highelf_temple=true,
	southern_temple=true,
	-- Module height (find it in Map Properties) should be set to 4 for the prison tilesets.
	prison=true,
	solaris_prison=true,
	mine=true,				--mine --???
	town=true,
}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- GLOBAL OPTIONS --set these options BEFORE importing g1.lua!
-- The dungeon, prison, and temple tilesets have some basic support for Grimrock 2's multiple elevations added in. This results in some slight visual differences between Grimrock 1 and Grimrock 2. Disabling this option will
-- remove SOME of these visual differences, but will eliminate elevation support (the tilesets will only be compatible with single elevations like in Grimrock 1). You probably don't want to disable it. This only affects the dungeon, temple, and prison wallsets (the others always support elevation).
G1_ELEVATION = true
-- Use new, fancier particle systems/lights on some objects. Remove this line to use the original Grimrock 1 particle systems/lights. This is mainly relevant for light sources, water, and tomes.
-- Changing this setting will NOT have a significant effect on performance. Only turn it off if you actively prefer the old effects.
G1_ENHANCED_FX = true
-- In Grimrock 2, items cannot be thrown over or onto altars. In Grimrock 1, altars do not have projectile collision, and any item that lands on an altar's square is placed on the altar. If G1_OLD_ALTARS is not nil or false when standard_objects.lua is
-- imported, then Grimrock 1 altars will have similar behaviour: spells and thrown items can fly right over them, any item that lands on their square or collides with them will be placed on the altar, and burst spells and ice
-- shards can be cast on them without hitting yourself. If you want the Grimrock 2 altar behaviour, just remove this line; Grimrock 1 altars will then behave just like Grimrock 2 altars.
G1_OLD_ALTARS = true
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OBJECTS
-- Include Phitt's Cozy Dungeons assets (bookshelves, tables, chairs). If you remove this line, you can delete the Cozy folder.
G1_COZY = true
-- Include germanny and Buzzj's desk. If you remove this line, you can delete the Desk folder.
G1_DESK = true
-- Include Merethif's extra tapestries. If you remove this line, you can delete the Tapestries folder.
.... etc etc
I dare say that by the time you have added (and integrated :roll: ) all the fun things into the mod files, modders will have to decide for themselves what to NOT import - as
you will likely run out of file space very quickly. I know I already have (Ive been working on something very similar to this project for quite a while now)

Just a short reply from me, I will help out as much as I can given Im already a little ahead on the adding & integrating
My files are a big embarrassing mess atm and I continually get side tracked and distracted whenever I learn how to do something new
(feature creep will be the end of me)

Will be in touch 8-) :mrgreen:
Akroma
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

After reading through the thread all I get is this - You want people to do your work for you
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Pompidom wrote: And yes with custom shops/blacksmith/alchemist /quest npc's etc... like a real RPG
And make it something more like Might and Magic X Legacy for example.
I get it. You're just trying to make Grimrock more like the worst blobber of the last two decades. Fair enough, have fun doing it!
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

zimberzimber wrote:After reading through the thread all I get is this - You want people to do your work for you
More or less on some parts yes :)

I just want to make sure that the Assets that you created and put a lot of time and effort in aren't wasted.
And actually used in a generic RPG mod.
Today I'm going to take a look at your asset pack, because it looks very promising.

The way I see it:

Instead of 1 person slaving for months or even years at his own personal mod.
This Town map will allow for a cooperation of default modders who just want to make a nice single generic exploration map and add it to the mod as a filler map.

Make a town map with shops/quests/crafting/alchemy/enchanting/blacksmith system and so on.
Then craft an endgame dungeon with endgame boss which is accessible right from the start.

And all the other maps are just optional fillers with optional combat/puzzles/exploration to become stronger so you are actually able to beat the endgame dungeon.

Multiple people can add their own maps to it without any dependencies to the other maps.
Basically your party travels far and wide in search for treasure, knowledge and artifacts in the hopes of getting strong enough to defeat the endgame villain or something like that storywise.
Each map contains some treasure at the end which you can use or sell.

I bet there are a bunch of modders out there that made a single nice looking map but since it's just one map, they haven't really done anything with it.
Basically a way for people to implement their personal map into a bigger world right next to maps from other people.

Like an RPG maker.
Last edited by Pompidom on Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.