The Wild Hunting

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Badgert

The Wild Hunting

Post by Badgert »

The Wild Hunting

One evening in a tavern you let yourself a risky joke about some evil sorcerer. Unfortunately he had heard it and announced a bounty for your heads.
You’d thought that it was also a joke, but in the morning you woke up in an unknown forest, and a killer was moving in your direction. There’s only one thing left for you – run and hide...
But if you’re strong enough, then you can become hunters yourselves. Everything is in your hands.
The wild hunting has begun...

p.s. Adventure in the open world, focused on research territories, searching for secrets and fighting with enemies.
Mysteries little, and those that are - not complex.
The mod is divided into a group of four characters of the entry level.
Testing was conducted on a easy level, the passage took approximately 10-12 hours.

Link - https://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/107

I will be glad to hear your comments and wishes.
Orace

Re: The Wild Hunting

Post by Orace »

Won't miss this 8-)
andyroosta

Post by andyroosta »

Cool...thanks for making it. :D
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

Hey Badgert,

I believe I have played all of your mods. And let me tell you that I love your enthousiasm in making mods for LoG2.
Also you're talented at making nice maps, with that I mean maps/graphics/layouts. I just love it.

Sadly that is where it ends, I haven't finished any of them and without exception I have deleted all of them instantly not even 2 hours in.

1. Linear

My biggest personal gripe with your dungeons is always their structure. Basically "follow the only road". And every gamebreaking item is gated behind secret buttons/areas. Basically your mods are like an onrail shooter. Miss or fail 1 thing and you're stuck.

Can't find that 1 specific secret button? You can't continue.
Can't solve 1 puzzle? Too bad, you're now stuck forever.
Tried to do something in the wrong order? You're now bugged and can't continue.

I remember in your Freedom or Death mod, the 2nd level (with the green slime head fountains I believe) was 1 big clusterfuck of secret buttons, and most were needed to continue. Couldn't find the last secret button and wasn't motivated sliding every single wall on that map. I instantly deleted your mod.
I enjoy playing LoG2 mods on Hard crunching monsters while solving enjoyable puzzles.
What I don't enjoy is checking a thousand walls for 1 secret random button that opens the exit to your next map to be able to continue the mod.

In the Wild hunting, I think I lasted an hour, You need cheese for the boss door, So I find shitloads of cheese gated behind "secrets"
It's something you should never do. Hiding necessary quest items behind "random secret buttons/areas"
So I started pouring all the cheese I have in the alcove including the cheese from the previous level, which is probably why the door won't open since I have mixed the old cheese and the new cheese. Door won't open, I think I dropped over 12 cheese in the alcove. Permanent stuck yet again like every single other mod of yours. Instantly deleted your mod.

Suggestion here would be to copy the good aspects of other mods and combine it with your talen to make a great world. Make an open world game where nothing is gated behind secret buttons or too complicated puzzles.
Like for example: Eye of the atlantis with a main city hub with shops to buy and sell and thus a money/ledger system, do quests and stuff. Where you can go anywhere you please until you're strong enough for the main boss end game dungeon. And minimize your "Succeed or be stuck forever" stuff

2. Your mods are too "Default"

- Default LoG2 spells, I don't even understand why you bother to leave the scrolls lying around, since you don't need them.

Suggestion: Make a spell system like Eye of Atlantis and "Magic of Grimrock mod"
You can't use the spell until you have bought the scroll and added to your spellbook.

You buy a spell scroll from a shop, you rightclick it and now it's added to your "spellbook"
And make some useful custom spells. Nothing too fancy or overpowered since "Magic of Grimrock overdoes it"

- Default items... Really...
Which also clutter your inventory with junk items.

Take an example at Eye of atlantis, shops, spice things up with expensive exotic custom items to be able to personalize your party more for better min/maxing tactics with money you earned from selling junk items/treasures/quest rewards

In the Wild Hunting for example I found your default Amulet of +2 Willpower behind a secret... Wooptiedoo... Unless I can sell it in the town's shop I'm not even picking up such garbage item.

I know this may sound arrogant and I should be thankful that people like you even make the time to make mods.
But, when I delete your mods instantly only 1-2 hours in while I finished and enjoyed most mods of other creators on Hard should say something.

Long story short:

My favorite mod would be your map design and dedication in combination with all the good stuff from other mods.
- Real freedom in open world map system
- Open world with main city Hub with shops to solve hoarding and inventory issues and quest npc's (Eye of Atlantis)
- Custom classes/skills (Check Magic of Grimrock mod) It basically mods the default LoG2 campaign and makes things much more interesting.
- Custom weapons/armor/rings/amulets/potions etc...(Magic of Grimrock)
- Upgrade and enchant system for weapons/armor with power gems (Excellion mod)
- Get rid of experience from monsters which is abusable, Fixed amounts of experience for solving quests at Quest npc's
- Improved Alchemy system (Magic of Grimrock)
- Crafting system (Eye of Atlantis)
- Soul weapons (Excellion)

Again, sorry for sounding like an entitled brat. But hopefully my complainy pants are some food for your consideration or something like that :)
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

I haven't played the mods in question but I'd just like to point out that I ended up deleting Eye of Atlantis within 30 minutes due to the absolutely horrible visual mess that the mod is, elevation is all over the place, the maps are hell to navigate due to poorly / hackily placed assets, there are asset theme clashes all over the place and the world feels super awkward, etc.

But yeah, it does sound silly and arrogant to expect item shop systems in every mod for a game that was never designed with item shops in mind and every single one implemented so far is a janky, ugly mess.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Just started the game battled Rusty and after went back in the kitchen to the right move a little then Crash brought down the game but the sound kept playing with this message

Code: Select all

=== Software Failure ===

#script_entity_2.script:12: attempt to index global 'floor_trigger_1' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	#script_entity_2.script:12: in function <#script_entity_2.script:1>
	[string "Script.lua"]: in function 'sendMessage'
	[string "Component.lua"]: in function 'triggerConnectors'
	[string "Component.lua"]: in function 'callHook'
	[string "Surface.lua"]: in function 'addItem'
	[string "Surface.lua"]: in main chunk
	[string "GameObject.lua"]: in function 'sendMessage'
	[string "Clickable.lua"]: in function 'onClickComponent'
	[string "GameMode.lua"]: in function 'mousePressed'
	[string "GameMode.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in function 'display'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk
Not sure if this helps
Badgert

Post by Badgert »

Hey Pompidom!
Thank you for expressing your opinion and wishes! In many respects I agree with you and will try to take it into account in the future. But, I must say that most of your suggestions, I just do NOT KNOW how to do it.
And I always honestly warn in the annotation that the mod is focused on FINDING SECRETS.
Do not judge too severely. I'm NOT a programmer. I just really like the game "Legend of Grimrock 2."

p.s. two words about cheese (if you decide to continue playing):
SpoilerShow
in a alcove it is enough to put 9 portions of ANY food

Hey RacerX!
Very strange. Previously, no crash was not.
I hope you did not import the group from other mods?
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

Yeah I understand, it's hard to implement stuff when you don't grasp the concept of programming.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9794
This for example helps you with implementing a bartering system

I've tried my hands on the editor and had to give up in sheer desperation and frustration when it came down to creating an outside "beach map" :)

This for example is where other map creators implemented their money/ledger system.

Basically you should make 1 Town map with a bunch of empty shop buildings (weapon/armor/blacksmith/alchemist/magic/tavern) and then ask other creators to implement all the custom stuff for you.
- Ledger/money/barter system
- Custom spells system
- Custom items implemented
- Custom classes option
- Custom alchemy system
- Custom crafting system
Etc...

Once that is done you would be able to build an entire open world around your town map the way you want it with lots of secrets and puzzles. Let other people handle all the other custom stuff and take care of the other systems like balancing difficulty/monsters, general game balance.

If someone could create a mod with just 1 Town map with all the custom stuff pre-implemented already and then make it available for other creators to build an entire world around it, many modders could create their own personal world while having all the custom stuff from other cool mods. Basically a more advanced RPG maker for legend of Grimrock 2 :)

This way you don't have to worry about doing it all yourself and you can just concentrate on doing the things you're good at, making a great world around the Town map.

That several mods will be using this same premade Town map basis doesn't really matter :)

Next weekend I will try my hand to implementing the barter/shop system in a test map
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Good Idea. I myself have not yet dived into scrypting things yet. Still working on custom assets.
Perhaps one of the other people around here will be so friendly to make a custom town with shops for others to tweak and fiddel around with.
Isnt there a example shop downloadable on the forum somewhere?
Badgert

Post by Badgert »

Pompidom wrote: If someone could create a mod with just 1 Town map with all the custom stuff pre-implemented already and then make it available for other creators to build an entire world around it, many modders could create their own personal world while having all the custom stuff from other cool mods. Basically a more advanced RPG maker for legend of Grimrock 2
It's really a good idea and I'll be happy if any of the more experienced modmakers create something like that.