[MOD] Eternal Recurrence 1.3

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Orace

Re: [MOD] Eternal Recurrence - preview (W.I.P.)

Post by Orace »

Hi AndakRainor, first of all many compliments for the great work!!!

New items (lots of them), new spells, secrets, random generated levels, all in one! :D , but i need to know if it's really "eternal"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean if an ending exists, such as when you unlock a "certain" number of maps you find the final boss or if you meet some requisites or find a certain item, etc...something like "Grimrock unlimited" that gives you the choice to select the difficulty level and so the games states a fixed number of maps you have to go through to find the final boss (it would not be a bad idea to choose your "winning condition" among these examples, and not just the difficulty level, like GU...keep it in mind :lol: ).

Cheers :D
Orace
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Hello, glad to see you enjoy the mod!

It's really "eternal"; no ending implemented yet. The mod memorizes the "closest" 32 levels from the current party position (closest in a "connected by open doors" way). If you visit more than 32 maps, one of the farthest levels will be recycled for the new map each time, and doors leading to it will be closed. This system is something I did at the very beginning of the mod development, it has been quite some time I did not test that many levels, I hope it still works fine :roll:

At this point I don't really know how I will handle winning conditions and options. A few ideas from me, players or Zimber so far:
- I'd like to keep an endless option.
- I'd also like to add towns with taverns and shops (did you notice the 0 coppers symbol at the bottom of the characters sheets? ;) ). In taverns you could recruit characters and accept quests. It could be a winning option, or you could chain quests... Not sure if when validating a quest, a dialog with a "I win" and a "continue" buttons would fit :lol:
- Zimber suggested rogue-like legacy system, with death leading to restarting with upgraded new characters.
- Others like you suggested Grimrock Unlimited system with a fixed number of maps.

Note: the update for this week is a little delayed, I hope to publish it tonight, as I found some new clues about the remaining crash bug. Thanks to Minmay advice, I tracked the content of chests during a test play through. The bug happened at the moment I used the quick bars next to the characters portraits to store the items I just grabbed from the chest surface. The slot I selected in the quick bar was not empty, so the 2 items were switched, and the item previously in the inventory suddenly was referenced by the chest!!! A complex bug indeed! It looks like the engine does not update the surface content until the item picked with the mouse is released somewhere. So be warned when you loot from chests until I fix it, avoid the quick bar and/or switching the item you just grabbed with an item in your inventory!

edit: when this bug is fixed, I will officially publish the first version of the mod on the Nexus and Steam.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

New build available!

https://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimr ... ?tab=files > Miscellaneous files > Eternal Recurrence

Changes for this week:
- New tile set : the dark castle, from Zimber.
- New rooms : secrets doors opened by filling torch holders in castle and dark castle maps (fortress).
- New monsters from Zimber.

And most importantly: found the cause of the last crash bug in the mod. This version has a fix for it. I'd like some help from testers this week to validate that it works. When the bug occurs, you should see 3 text lines that appear in the console, showing which chest referenced a wrong item and that the mod tried to fix it. At that point could you please try to save and load and confirm that all works well? To trigger the bug, you have to find a chest, pick an item inside, then insert it in an occupied slot of the quick bars. Thanks!

If everything is okay, I'll remove the console text and officially release the first version of the mod on its own mod pages next week !!!
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Clicking the right mouse button brings the side piece where you can store up to ten ingredients . But in the current build I can't get to the menu to create potions. Tested with imported and stock party.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Just put herbs and a water flask in the ingredients panel, if you follow a recipe, a potion will appear on the top right corner of the panel. Then grab it and the potion is created. Can you try with a blooddrop cap and a water flask? you should get a healing option...

Unless you have a real bug, I will add a tip about it :)
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

That works ...

So how do you fill up the empty flasks with water?
billb52

Post by billb52 »

Just stand in front of any water and right click on your empty flask/flasks and they will be filled automatically.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Thanks!!!
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Some feedback:

- Water ways are an almost certain death traps which depends on how lucky you were with aquatic weapons. Could an aquatic spear be given to the player with the starting gear or at least made more common?

- When importing a high level party, chances are you're going to get screwed by the time you reach proper equipment. Could the monsters be limited to basic ones the first few levels?

- Water Slimes don't seem to animate

- The perk for daggers casting poison cloud is more likely to harm the player than be useful. (Unless its not really a poison cloud and just a burst, I didn't really bother with getting it)

- The perks for weapons auto-casting elemental spells proccing on the same elemental enemy is annoying. An option to disable that, or move the script to on hitting a monster and checking if their resistance is not absorption, and perhaps increasing the chance to compensate for missing.
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Some Feedback

A couple thoughts when you refill water flasks it can only be done by an Alchemist. Why? Its just water.

I'm at about 15/32 levels. I just finished Luxuriant Forest (tropical forest rains all the time, the graphics are really slow and choppy) and then moved Temperate Forest. So far no problems with treasure chests or saving.

Next, when you run near the red ogre you can get ""tagged for death" even in an area that is divided by trees. If you move the to cube in another Forest it does not remove the tag and your player dies over and ever. It defeats the point to the cube. How do you get rid of this tag?

There are too many Twigroot and hardly any turtles, giant snails.

There are lots of interesting spells but with a party from scratch are not really accessible.