Looking for proper asset

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Orace

Re: Looking for proper asset

Post by Orace »

maneus wrote:??? But I made a hammock for you. :shock:
And then this quote was a direct punch.... :lol: let me explain:

You're right Maneus :lol:, the fact is that this morning i didn't know how to do, but now i just learned how to create materials and associate them to items!! so the first time i looked at your files i had no idea what they were :mrgreen: putted them aside and then started to check various script to understand how to create my bunk bed from scrap.

And now that i reached my goal (yes i made it), i just wanted to post a image on the forum for you guys, to tell you i did it, and now i read your post and think: "NoOoooOOOoooOOooo" (ultima online spirit speak style :lol: ).

You gave me all that i needed from the start and i forgot about it :mrgreen: , if only i knew how to use it!!! :oops:

I already inserted the hammock inside the ship, just noticed one thing: there are 2 more materials.
I opened them with gimp and they are a white rope texture and wood texture. Just tell me if i did understand how it works: i need other 2 models, like ropes and poles, to add to the hammock script as components and associate them with these materials, right?

Waiting for your reply, in the meanwhile this is the bunk bed for your curiosity guys :lol: it's made with the beds from Phitt assets and mine supports from grimrock 2 original assets, and material is from Bongobeat assets. :D
SpoilerShow
bongobeat

Post by bongobeat »

hi there,

no you don't need other models, the materials are all already attributed to this model.
you have to do 3 times, what Maneus wrote but with changing the name:

To see what name of materials he has attributed to this model (the hammock), open it with the grimrock tool kit, and look in the tool menu, ---> "Material Find / Replace".
Then you will have a small menu box, where you can see all material names. Use these names only, if not, no texture will be attributed to the model. There you can see that there is 3 different material names. (of course you can change the names, if those bothers you)

Then,(you can look in the asset pack for example), how to wrote the definition of each material names.

the first definition:
maneus wrote:

Code: Select all

defineMaterial{
   name = "hammock_net",
   diffuseMap = "mod_assets/textures/env/hammock_net.tga",
   specularMap = "mod_assets/textures/env/hammock_net.tga",
   doubleSided = false,
   lighting = true,
   alphaTest = true,
   blendMode = "Opaque",
   textureAddressMode = "Wrap",
   glossiness = 20,
   depthBias = 0,
}
and the 2 other, according you didn't change the names, and you keep the folder structure.

defineMaterial{
   name = "wood_planks.dds",
   diffuseMap = "mod_assets/textures/env/wood_planks.tga",
   specularMap = "mod_assets/textures/env/wood_planks.tga",
	doubleSided = false,
	lighting = true,
	alphaTest = false,
	blendMode = "Opaque",
	glossiness = 60,
	depthBias = 0,
}

defineMaterial{
   name = "rope",
   diffuseMap = "mod_assets/textures/env/rope.tga",
   specularMap = "mod_assets/textures/env/rope.tga",
	doubleSided = false,
	lighting = true,
	alphaTest = false,
	blendMode = "Opaque",
	glossiness = 60,
	depthBias = 0,
}
My asset pack: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9320

Log1 mod : Toorum Manor: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5505
maneus

Post by maneus »

Orace, I sent you a message yesterday. ;)

@bongobeat: ty for the explanation.
Orace

Post by Orace »

Hi guys, thanks a lot! I had no idea that a model can have more then one material. I just learn something new everyday :lol:

I've seen some scripts with an "overlap" feature but that's not what i was looking for, i paired the item with the material as a script, so i thought i should have more models with the appropiate material to add inside the scripts as separate components of the same script (that's how i made the bunk bed, 2 pair of beds and 6 mine poles, all in one "define item" script).

Now that i open this GMT i understand why original scripts (from LOG 2 assets) don't have the "material" associated, because it's already inside the model...:mrgreen:...cool!

I can see the full hammock now, good, but the problem is always....it's too beautiful and comfortable ahahah :lol:. I tried with gimp (that i'm not used to :oops: ) to make the net texture more "dark and dirt", but, as i said previously, graphic it's not for me :D and a very strange effect occurred...maybe because is half transparent, i dunno...(i also tried more materials from material list, very funny :D )
Because of there are very many of them, it would be more realistic to have different tonality of material, to show various levels of dirt and dust, i'll follow some tutorial with gimp.

Well, thanks again, i like the fact that this community is always ready to help each other when in needs!

Regards
Orace
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Orace wrote:Hi guys, thanks a lot! I had no idea that a model can have more then one material. I just learn something new everyday :lol:
Models can have more than one material, and objects can have more than one model... however monsters with more than one material cause a problem with the freeze/to ice spell effect; they work, and display fine in the game; but they are typically made immune to freezing—to avoid the problem.

**For models with more than one material, one must assign where those materials appear, using a 3D modeler. You cannot do it in the scripted object definition.
Orace

Post by Orace »

Isaac wrote:**For models with more than one material, one must assign where those materials appear, using a 3D modeler. You cannot do it in the scripted object definition.
Hi Isaac, yes "now" i know :mrgreen: , Maneus and Bongobeat pointed me to the GMT program, i see it's very easy to use, at least to change materials, ahahah :lol:.

It's also easy to script now, cause i have no need to put the "material" component inside a script while i can directly associate it with the model.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Orace wrote:
Isaac wrote:**For models with more than one material, one must assign where those materials appear, using a 3D modeler. You cannot do it in the scripted object definition.
Hi Isaac, yes "now" i know :mrgreen: , Maneus and Bongobeat pointed me to the GMT program, i see it's very easy to use, at least to change materials, ahahah :lol:.

It's also easy to script now, cause i have no need to put the "material" component inside a script while i can directly associate it with the model.
GMT is fantastic, however it is a tool designed for LoG1; and only partially compatible with LoG2 (where animation is concerned). GMT was only designed to assign material to existing UVs, it does not create them. If you are making custom models for the Grimrock series, then the tool not to miss is the latest version of Bitcopy's import/export script for Blender versions 2.71 to 2.73.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8086

This Blender addon allows direct import, editing, and export of the official game models. Like GMT exporting original models can be achieved using it, but the Bitcopy script allows even for exporting a custom monster mesh & animations.