Ripping DVDs/BluRays.

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Sir Tawmis

Ripping DVDs/BluRays.

Post by Sir Tawmis »

So I have begun making a digital archive of my DVDs and BluRays. And for the most part, everything goes smoothly. But occasionally - something weird happens.

So I use MAKEMKV to rip the DVDs/BluRays. Then use Handbrake to convert them to MP4 (so it keeps the resolution, but decreases the file size).

Now, randomly - some of the converted MP4 files, only play Audio (if I play it in Windows Media Player), but if I play the MP4 file in VLC, it plays Audio and Video.

(And it will do it for videos on the same disc; for example, I am currently ripping Veronica Mars Season 1 - on the first disc - two of the episodes have the issue, while the other two play fine).

Anyone have experience with that? I could probably post this on the MakeMKV forum; but that means registering and all that.

So I figured I'd ask here first. :D
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Ripping DVDs/BluRays.

Post by Dr.Disaster »

This sounds like a classic missing video codec issue to me. VLC has his own media codecs to play back all kind of formats while Windows Media Player depends on the media codecs installed on your system.

By pressing "Ctrl+J" while playing VLC can tell you which specific media codec a file uses.

It's been a while since i looked for any of those but this seems like a good codec pack: https://www.mediaplayercodecpack.com/
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Is it weird though - that a disc with (say in this case) - 4 videos. Rip all four at the same time. 2 of them have the issue, the other 2 don't.

(And I've tried using Handbrake to redo the same MKV to MP4 and the same issue repeats itself).

I've not tried just re-ripping the DVD and see if the issue corrects itself that way. (I should...) So what I've been doing is playing it through VLC, using FRAPS (screen/video capture program) to capture it, then use Handbrake to convert THAT to MP4, and it always works. It's a bit of a pain that way (because I need to be there to tell Fraps to stop recording or else it just keeps recording). :)

It seemed to happen most frequently with cartoons; like when I ripped my Transformers DVDs; there was about 10 videos out of 60 or so, that had this issue. Had not seen it to it to actual - uh, live movie? - Non animated movie? - until Veronica Mars - and I have been ripping probably 200 DVDs and BluRays so far. :)
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

By "rip all four at the same time" do you indeed mean 4 different videos at the same time from one disc? Have you tried less i.e. 2 or 3 at once? Perhaps your system hits a limit somewhere ..
MoffFace

Post by MoffFace »

The formats and codec that can be compatible with windows media player and VLC player are different sometimes. So maybe the original DVDs are encoded with the different video codec. In this case, maybe these two tutorials can be helpful in some degree: https://www.winxdvd.com/resource/handbr ... torial.htm http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti ... orial.html
But if this problem is still there, you can try another DVD ripper that can rip blue ray DVDs, DVDFab. You can have a try.