Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
petri

Re: Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

Post by petri »

Question - is there going to be puzzles like LOG?
There could be some puzzles but they would be quite rare, certainly not to the extent of LOG. We are focusing on the tactical turn-based battle system and story this time.
So is the plan to be Druidstone:SSI-Goldbox as LoG:Dungeonmaster?
The battle system of SSI games is a huge inspiration to us. The way the game is structured is otherwise quite different from Gold Box games. It's a mixture of best elements (in our opinion) from gold box games, roguelikes and final fantasy type weird stuff. It's a bit hard for me to compare it directly to any single game. Which is kind of a problem because we really need to communicate better what kind of game we're building. We have to think about it! A video is probably better than a thousand words...

@Komag: thanks man! I'm definitely better now and back to working full steam.
BouH

Post by BouH »

Ok it looks interesting but reading too much english tires me so I can't concentrate. Could you briefly explain what is this game? Is it some kind of LoG with birdeye wiev or it's more like RPG like Pillars of Eternity with all quets, people etc. but with grid base combat? I cant identify ganre of this game especially without video. Nevertheless assuming people working on it I'm expected something interesting.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

BouH wrote:Ok it looks interesting but reading too much english tires me so I can't concentrate. Could you briefly explain what is this game? Is it some kind of LoG with birdeye wiev or it's more like RPG like Pillars of Eternity with all quets, people etc. but with grid base combat? I cant identify ganre of this game especially without video. Nevertheless assuming people working on it I'm expected something interesting.
I think Petri summed it up briefly in the post above yours:

There could be some puzzles but they would be quite rare, certainly not to the extent of LOG. We are focusing on the tactical turn-based battle system and story this time.The battle system of SSI games is a huge inspiration to us. The way the game is structured is otherwise quite different from Gold Box games. It's a mixture of best elements (in our opinion) from gold box games, roguelikes and final fantasy type weird stuff. It's a bit hard for me to compare it directly to any single game. Which is kind of a problem because we really need to communicate better what kind of game we're building. We have to think about it! A video is probably better than a thousand words...
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
BouH

Post by BouH »

Sir Tawmis wrote: I think Petri summed it up briefly in the post above yours:

A video is probably better than a thousand words...
Yes this must clarify much sinse from Petri's post I didnt understand main idea (most likely because I didnt play of those box games or Final fantasy, so i have no experience to make any conclusions.) And about LoG I mean not puzzles, which I like but tile base combat like in HoMM 5 or 6 i guess where rectangles was changed to squares, or it would be like in banner saga. And as for story thats why I asked about comparison to Pillas, where story was a huge part of game, it would be grate to have some lore in books too and even grater if lore knowledge could help to solve some game situations without fighting. So for now I'll wait for video and wish good luck to developers.
P.S. Also hope LoG 3 development start would be in near year, since there is not so much games which I want to play more and more.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

petri wrote:I have to say it's been a little surprising to me how the procedurally generated content seems to be dividing people.
With the hype around https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man's_Sky and the subsequent disappointment, it's actually not surprising that people would be skeptical about procedurally generated levels...
petri wrote:Druidstone is using Lua, although the whole game engine has been rewritten to better suit the style of programming I prefer nowadays (procedural rather than object-oriented).
Can you tell us more about that?
I thought OOP was generally better the larger/more complex programs are.
BouH

Post by BouH »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:
petri wrote:I have to say it's been a little surprising to me how the procedurally generated content seems to be dividing people.
With the hype around https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man's_Sky and the subsequent disappointment, it's actually not surprising that people would be skeptical about procedurally generated levels...
Procedure geberation isn't good for story based games (except maybe unrelevant levels such as some abandoned dungeon or cave (where you could add chance to find some lore info (yes I still prefer that lore influenced on gameplay :) ) And it starts long before the No_player_sky, that game just proved its inconsistent. For example in Torchlight was procedure generated levels (except for boss levels) and after couple of hours they become boring and you can literally see the parts they made from, it could work for such slesher/RPG but not to story based game. On the other hand all levels in King's Bounty the Legend and King's Bounty Armored Princess was made by designer and you can see the so called "soul" in this scapes, you believe that it could exist instead of thoughts that someone just played giant lego bricks. Same story in Pillars, when the story is telling you want to remember places you was and not see same parts of landscape all over the game.
eon

Post by eon »

Skyrim,Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn had also procedurally generated world but artists and writers modified part of it for narrative purposes.

I don't see any harm of using procedural generated content.
BouH

Post by BouH »

eon wrote:Skyrim,Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn had also procedurally generated world but artists and writers modified part of it for narrative purposes.

http://stevivor.com/news/cd-projekt-red ... generated/
As for last two I didn't consider them as good games in meaning of level design, most of people hate copy-pasted caves from Skyrin, and I dont even say anything about the Far Cry with walking towers, lol.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

BouH wrote:
eon wrote:Skyrim,Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn had also procedurally generated world but artists and writers modified part of it for narrative purposes.
http://stevivor.com/news/cd-projekt-red ... generated/
As for last two I didn't consider them as good games in meaning of level design, most of people hate copy-pasted caves from Skyrin, and I dont even say anything about the Far Cry with walking towers, lol.
There were copy and pasted dungeons in Dragon Age II (especially the caves), where it was just a matter of a door being there that couldn't be opened for one cave map, but in another cave map, it's wide open.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
petri

Post by petri »

New blog post is up! This time it's written by Jussi Sammaltupa, our new coder. Jussi tells about his feelings after his first work week at Ctrl Alt Ninja: http://druidstone-game.com/jussi-joins-team
Zo Kath Ra wrote:Can you tell us more about that? [procedural vs. object-oriented programming]
I thought OOP was generally better the larger/more complex programs are.
This is an intereting topic but it's a longer story. It would be a nice topic for a technical blog post! I'll try to find some time to write down my thoughts...