Is anyone still playing/modding Grimrock 2?

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
MrChoke

Is anyone still playing/modding Grimrock 2?

Post by MrChoke »

Hello. I am have been out of the loop for about a year with modding Grimrock 2. This is after putting literally hundreds of hours into my mod. There were a few reasons why I left it for so long. The biggest though is that my mod became a great tool to learn LUA, learn the amazing modding capability AH gave us and prove that I could do tons of very very cool stuff (albeit with a mountain of effort). But when I actually tried to start turning what I had into a real playable, fun mod, it fell apart. So I got discouraged and quit.

Well, I fired it up a few weeks ago and remembered all of the cool stuff I did and got a completely renewed desire to do something with it. So I am starting over with a brand new dungeon, using as much as I can from my old one. What I fear is that I am at least a year too late. Grimrock 2 is how old now? Sure, I can keep going and maybe get a decent mod done so myself and a couple of friends can play (assuming they'd re-install Grimrock to play it). But does anyone else even play or mod this any more? On top fo that there is talk of a new project AH is going to announce soon. That is great but I can only hope it will be something where Grimrock 2 mods could somehow be re-used and imported (with re-work of course but so what).

Is anyone going even read this post? I am listening here on the forum............. <crickets>. Ugh.
THOM

Re: Is anyone still playing/modding Grimrock 2?

Post by THOM »

Hi MrChoke.

Your post has been reading :D

And I think there are still players and modders out there. The comunity has become smaler, of course. But it's still alive.

Me for myself I am going to release a mod after my patient beta-testers have run through (and I fixed a lot of issues they discovered.)

After that I will come back to play mods of others. And it's still a pleasure to see the results of other peoples creativity. So - keep on and release your own stuff.

I have no news from AH what they are going to do next. Do you have?
THOM formaly known as tschrage

Post by MrChoke »

THOM wrote:Hi MrChoke.

Your post has been reading :D

And I think there are still players and modders out there. The comunity has become smaler, of course. But it's still alive.

Me for myself I am going to release a mod after my patient beta-testers have run through (and I fixed a lot of issues they discovered.)

After that I will come back to play mods of others. And it's still a pleasure to see the results of other peoples creativity. So - keep on and release your own stuff.

I have no news from AH what they are going to do next. Do you have?
Oh, good. A reply fast too! I am going keep chugging away for sure this time. Unlike the last mod, I am thinking of releasing some kind of pre-test for people to at least see what I got coming. Show off some of my stuff without having a full blown game done. Do you think thats a good idea?

Regarding AH's new project, I follow some of them on Twitter. Petri has a new game engine he called something like "Shinobi". An official announcement is coming soon on a new game using it. What the game is though, I have no idea. Something like a Grimrock 3 would be awesome but who knows.
Duncan1246

Post by Duncan1246 »

MrChoke wrote:Hello. I am have been out of the loop for about a year with modding Grimrock 2. ../.
But does anyone else even play or mod this any more? On top fo that there is talk of a new project AH is going to announce soon. That is great but I can only hope it will be something where Grimrock 2 mods could somehow be re-used and imported (with re-work of course but so what).
Is anyone going even read this post? I am listening here on the forum............. <crickets>. Ugh.
Welcome back... and happy new mod! NO, we are not all dead... :lol:
The Blue Monastery (LOG1)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/399/?

Finisterrae(LOG2)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/61/?
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Oh yeah baby, definitely alive 8-)
I haven't started working on my mod yet, but that's because I'm busy with creating custom assets I'm going to use, so others could use them as well. Guess that's kinda like a taste of what the whole thing is going to be like :D
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

MrChoke wrote:But does anyone else even play or mod this any more? On top fo that there is talk of a new project AH is going to announce soon. That is great but I can only hope it will be something where Grimrock 2 mods could somehow be re-used and imported (with re-work of course but so what).

A few really nice mods were released recently; also the 'One Room Round Robin #'3' mod is in development; (and if you're interested) there are still some room slots open if you'd like to do one. 8-)

ORRR3~LOG2> viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9863

previous two:
ORRR2~LOG1> viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5219
ORRR1~LOG1> viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3884
Grimfan

Post by Grimfan »

Hi MrChoke. :D

I am in a similar boat to you. My computer unexpectedly self-destructed early last year and although just about all my other data was saved the 20-level mod I had been working on for over 300 hours was not retrievable. I was understandably disheartened by this turn of events and with my internet issues over the last few months it's taken me until now to get back to these forums and modding in general.

Now I have to pretty much relearn lua from scratch (since in all other parts of my life I don't use it).
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

MrChoke!
Most absolutely, definitely still alive and working hard ;)
And will not stop till (Legacy of Lies) is finished and playable ....
I better not or else the last 2 years will have been (sort of) a waste of time ( I havent started building levels yet.)
Finishing custom systems has coincided nicely with the (at least initial) release of many other custom asset packs including :
SpoilerShow
- minmay's Megapack (a large chunk of LoG1 custom assets ported across)
- zimber's Asset pack (all sorts inspired by the -probably abandoned - Shadowgate asset pack)
- AndakRainor's Spell pack (soooo many spells)
- and of course NPC dialogue, Forge, Toolbox, a variety of Alchemy options, ...... the list goes on (Ive left a lot out - sorry)
In fact, I would say now is probably the best time thus far to build your mod
- with access to all the work that the community has been working on over the last 2 years
Why would you say you became discouraged? Tell us about the mod you first began creating.... :)
Grimfan wrote:I am in a similar boat to you. My computer unexpectedly self-destructed early last year and although just about all my other data was saved the 20-level mod I had been working on for over 300 hours was not retrievable. I was understandably disheartened by this turn of events and with my internet issues over the last few months it's taken me until now to get back to these forums and modding in general.
That's sucks big time, Grimfan - disheartened would be an understatement....
Is it a good time yet to start building something new and fresh??
Honestly - lots of people havent even started building levels yet - just working on custom assets
So while it must have been horrible - youre not really behind in the building race ;)
.... good to see you back! :)
Lark

Post by Lark »

MrChoke! Welcome back! It is awesome to have you back!! I've come, gone, and returned too. Life keeps getting in the way, but I'm more interested in creating things others can use instead of going for a full-blown mod (although I keep working on one). I keep bouncing from scripting to 3D graphics and having fun but not much to show for it I suppose. I've imported a couple of fireplaces, make new lights, an incomplete tile set consisting of multiple walls, floor, multiple ceilings vaulted and flat, railings, et cetera. I now have a ladder script that will auto-deploy itself so you can safely descent ladders spanning multiple elevations and I think I know how to make a better one you can go up and down on by clicking. Nothing that anyone has gotten very excited about, however, but I'm still having fun.
MrChoke wrote:...Unlike the last mod, I am thinking of releasing some kind of pre-test for people to at least see what I got coming. Show off some of my stuff without having a full blown game done. Do you think thats a good idea? ...
Yes, I think this is a very good idea! I'm playing though several of other people's mods now and I'm having a blast with Master Quest right now (albeit it's a LoG 1 mod). I would enjoy the opportunity to help someone else test their mod or to help others create custom content for their mods.

Best of luck and welcome back! -Lark
Komag

Post by Komag »

I still haunt the forums and pay attention, though all my spare time is spent working on my Roku game which is like a 2D Grimrock 8-)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play