Multiple magic schools spells pack

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
zimberzimber

Re: Multiple magic schools spells pack

Post by zimberzimber »

I have a question regarding the scaling system:
What does it scale to - lowest level, highest level, average, or just kills?
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

It is the average level, so monsters can be level 1, 1.25, 1.33, 1.5, 1.66, 1.75 or 2, etc...
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Version 2.4

New features:
- Critical hit chance now apply also to all spells. Elemental mastery traits and the Spirit trait add bonuses to critical spells and are included in the dungeon example.
- Melee spells trigger traits are included in the dungeon example.
- Fire enchantment can turn a branch into a torch.
- New visual for the detect spells.
- Some minor bugs and map fixes.
sargris

Post by sargris »

Hi.
Great mod, thank you ! Really gives a second life to the game.
Great job expanding the existing island too ! Almost like you could add Grim 1 on top of Grim 2 and you own Grim 3 under that ;)
Just a few quick questions:

The resistance system seems to be broken. They max out around 50-60. Is this on purpose ? (a bit like diablo 2 as the difficulty progress, you have malus on resistances). Ex: Liz 25 + 25 + 50 neckless does not max. Neither do the resist spells. +5 ench gives +4. Things like that...
Playing hard with latest version on new team.

The "too skinny" plate still say I'm too skinny when I'm carrying the whole island. (even tried to stand on my own keyboard :lol: )
English is not my mother language though. Might refer to sth I do not get...

Is there a way to add in the interface the hidden stats, like the all important regens or the cooldown reduction ?

The console command to learn all spells would be "learnAllSpells()" ?

Thank again
Big fan
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

There is a "diminishing returns" system to elemental resistances. I added it on purpose but maybe I should make it more visible in the interface. The problem was that high level characters reached 100 resistance too quickly, and once you have that score, you are totally immune to damage. So it was not fair for monsters with elemental attacks.

The diminished resistance is: 100 * old_resistance / (100 + old_resistance), rounded to the nearest integer. So the original 100 resistance becomes 50 instead, and "infinite" becomes 100 (but it can be reached with finite leveling because it is rounded!).

"Too skinny" refers to your food level, not your equipment weight (I should have thought about it, good try :lol: )

If you want to cheat and learn all spells you can use this command, then use the spawned item with the spellbook in your inventory: spawn("crystal_shard_spells").

I am preparing the next version with experience gains scaling with the inverse of the party's number of characters (Toorum mode or reduced team, for hardcore players ;)).

See you soon !
sargris

Post by sargris »

Indeed diminishing returns makes sense.
Toorum mode with XP scaling, another great idea. Can't wait to try it :)
The purpose of "crystal_shard_spells" is for testing only in the real island. The scroll need for spell casting is actually well done. Really makes you think twice about the order you want to explore the game (and not just skill point build up order).

Other minor things I can repport:

-Ring on a string seems to confuse xp bar (like it still wants to display the lev and not the lev+1 and so it remains at 0)
-The infinite (or nearly) insect swarm in the archives makes it really easy to level up with fire burst (far easier that the bog boss fight or the cemetary fire elemental alcove spawn)
-I experienced a "new spell learned" with a previously used one.
-I had an uneven xp count amongst my team with no death and no +%xp gear

Still have much of the upgraded island to explore :ugeek:
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

AndakRainor wrote: There is a "diminishing returns" system to elemental resistances. I added it on purpose but maybe I should make it more visible in the interface. The problem was that high level characters reached 100 resistance too quickly, and once you have that score, you are totally immune to damage. So it was not fair for monsters with elemental attacks.

The diminished resistance is: 100 * old_resistance / (100 + old_resistance), rounded to the nearest integer. So the original 100 resistance becomes 50 instead, and "infinite" becomes 100 (but it can be reached with finite leveling because it is rounded!).
I agree with toning down of the Resistances - Once you crack 100 in any of them it pretty much makes Champions invincible against some Monsters ....
To handle this - I add a hidden trait "correct_resistance" to each champion when the game begins.
This trait stops Champs from gaining Elemental Resistances through their main Statistics (str, dex, vit & will) - after the game begins
ie - they can still gain some Resistance bonus at Character Creation
SpoilerShow

Code: Select all

defineTrait{
	name = "correct_resistance",
	uiName = "Correct Resistance",
	iconAtlas = "mod_assets/textures/customSkills1.tga",
	icon = 0,
	hidden = true,
	description = "",
	onRecomputeStats = function(champion, level)
		if level > 0 then
			local statResTab = {strength = "fire", dexterity = "shock", vitality = "poison", willpower = "cold"}
			for k,v in pairs(statResTab) do
				local currStat = champion:getCurrentStat(k)
				local difference = currStat - 10
				if difference >= 1 then	
					champion:addStatModifier("resist_"..v, - (difference * 2))
				end
			end
		end
	end,
}			
What do you folks think of this method??
sargris

Post by sargris »

What about simply -5% in each resistance per level above 1 ?
If you completely ignore resistances, at level 11, you are at -50% which means elemental damages really hurt that much more…
This way, a +50 item really still gives +50. Same for spells.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Leveling up should probably be good instead of bad
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Well I think diminishing returns beats all other solutions :P
It does not lower your power on level up, and avoids the absurd status of being immune to damage for the player. Your solution Akroma makes it still reachable, unless you don't give tomes in your mod.
Even my formula is not that great, with the rounded value, 100 can be reached with a little less than 700 original resistance. I think I should instead overwrite the GUI to hide the internal value, and use it not rounded if possible! :lol: