Multiple magic schools spells pack

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
zeltak

Re: Multiple magic schools spells pack

Post by zeltak »

I think trap the player idea is a great one. Build up time might be too fiddly.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

AndakRainor wrote:
zeltak wrote:It's strange that you can cast rune spell straight onto monsters. Otherwise I would love them. And the freeze rune is way overpowered with the blast radius instead of just the rune space and maybe it's duration is also a little too long for my taste.
Good point. I will propose a new version for that, so it feels more like traps and do not work as simple front burst spells.
Have you seen this thread/post yet? Perhaps it can work for you, or inspire ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14115&hilit=trap+r ... 10#p106326
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

zimberzimber wrote:I don't know its ID, but its on the ground level of Pyramid of Umas, bottom left corner. (Where you get the Claymore)
As for the traps - Give them activation time. Like the buildup time, but they won't go off prematurely. (aka not before they reach 100% power)
An activation time is a good idea, so is not letting champs cast runes onto monsters.
My standard rune spells dont allow this ... unless the caster is of a certain Class (Illusionist)

And I only let the burst radius extend from the trap square to 3x3 once caster has high (relevent) Magic Skill or a particular Trait
Perhaps the build up activation idea could be used to balance the rune trap if its blast radius has been extended??

Also, recasting will destroy the current Rune trap location...
and then as a bonus (if trait or Class etc) recasting will just relocate the Rune Trap
Last edited by akroma222 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Isaac wrote:
AndakRainor wrote:
zeltak wrote:It's strange that you can cast rune spell straight onto monsters. Otherwise I would love them. And the freeze rune is way overpowered with the blast radius instead of just the rune space and maybe it's duration is also a little too long for my taste.
Good point. I will propose a new version for that, so it feels more like traps and do not work as simple front burst spells.
Have you seen this thread/post yet? Perhaps it can work for you, or inspire ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14115&hilit=trap+r ... 10#p106326
And if the caster is holding a (relevent) bomb item (in mouse cursor) onCast,
then the Spell changes to throw a "rune trap item", instead (as seen in the link ^^above)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

With that mod I also tried to adjust the monster AI to recognize the trap ~when it was armed. :twisted:
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Isaac wrote:With that mod I also tried to adjust the monster AI to recognize the trap ~when it was armed. :twisted:
Hey Isaac,
how did the AI end up handling it??
Did the monster still walk through it if the trap is set in a bottle neck situation (and blocking the only way through to the party)??
I havent tried coding this into AI yet but its on the todo list :roll: :?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

akroma222 wrote:
Isaac wrote:With that mod I also tried to adjust the monster AI to recognize the trap ~when it was armed. :twisted:
Hey Isaac,
how did the AI end up handling it??
Did the monster still walk through it if the trap is set in a bottle neck situation (and blocking the only way through to the party)??
I havent tried coding this into AI yet but its on the todo list :roll: :?
The AI change was minimal. It won't step on a red trap, and will use ranged attack if the party is in front of it.

Code: Select all

onThink = function(self) --QaD Just enough so that it doesn't always follow the party step for step; triggering its own traps.
               local dX, dY = getForward(self.go.facing)
               for each in self.go.map:entitiesAt(self.go.x+dX, self.go.y+dY) do
                  if each.name == "fire_bomb_trap_rune" and each.model:getEmissiveColor()[2] ~= "-255" then  --red emissive means armed
                     local action = {"turnTowardsParty", "turnTowardsParty", "turnLeft", "turnRight", "wait" }
                     local choice = action[math.random(#action)]
                      if self.go.brain.partyStraightAhead then
                         choice = "rangedAttack"  -- will wait out the trap; using ranged attacks
                      end
                      self.go.brain[choice](self.go.brain)
                      return self.go.brain.seesParty 
                  end
               end   
            end,
One might change it to record injury from the first trap, and avoid them thereafter; crossing one if there is no other way, and if their hitpoints are well above its expectation of the damage [seen previously].
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Awesome :lol:
sorry, I probably need to do some catch up reading on AI before I ask simple questions :oops:
That extra depth from scripting 'monster learning from mistakes' is very cool
(players will really notice that kind of monster behaviour ... and getting noticeably, seemingly, smarter may even scare them a little !)
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

akroma222 wrote:An activation time is a good idea, so is not letting champs cast runes onto monsters.
My standard rune spells dont allow this ... unless the caster is of a certain Class (Illusionist)
What do you mean by "don't allow", does the spell fizzle?
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Sorry for the late reply!!
The rune trap spell will fizzle with a message - Cant Cast Traps on top of Monsters!