Legend of Grimrock 3

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Firia

Re: Legend of Grimrock 3

Post by Firia »

Tracking as a means of finding food/trouble would be interesting. Rather than maybe hunting down some turtles at a beach or some always spawning poison mushbooms, tracking could find some wilderness beast for the slaying, or the remains of something at worst.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Tracking would seem near impossible underground, but above ground... how would it work ~mechanically I mean? If left to the player, then it would either be footprint decals on the ground, or something akin to the clairvoyance spell in Skyrim. If left to the PC [my preference], it could be a series of [hudPrint] observations from the PC, that would suggest the trail.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

I think what they mean is -

You'd have an "invisible" food item placed. That "food item" becomes "visible" is the person with the tracking skill has a sufficient/successful "tracking" skill "roll."

So say you're walking in the dungeon; and there's an invisible "slice of meat" - it requires a Tracking Skill of 10 to see it - if successful, it appears. The player can then click it and pick it up. (Or even a percentage - based on the skill level).

It's essentially a "Spot Check" in terms of D&D.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

That could be neat as well.

Xanathar did this ~of a sort, in the ORRR2. There were many items in his room that required specific lens or lenses [equipped in his goggles] to see them. IRRC Might & Magic may have done this as well, perhaps even exactly as you describe.

*One thing to keep in mind with that, is to ensure that the special food or items ~if it's just standard food & items, stack with the regular versions (those that are stackable).
BouH

Post by BouH »

I want to see heavy armor set that didn't include shield, because in LoG II I couldn't combine crystal set with dual light weapons. I think something like this must be for berserker like brute warriors than didnt need shields.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Isaac wrote:That could be neat as well.
Xanathar did this ~of a sort, in the ORRR2. There were many items in his room that required specific lens or lenses [equipped in his goggles] to see them. IRRC Might & Magic may have done this as well, perhaps even exactly as you describe.
*One thing to keep in mind with that, is to ensure that the special food or items ~if it's just standard food & items, stack with the regular versions (those that are stackable).
Wizardry VII also did this - where you could walk, and suddenly one of your characters would say, "Look there!" And suddenly there's some arrows on the floor.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Sir Tawmis wrote:
Isaac wrote:That could be neat as well.
Wizardry VII also did this - where you could walk, and suddenly one of your characters would say, "Look there!" And suddenly there's some arrows on the floor.
Yeah... I was definitely thinking Wizardry, when I said M&M... I think I recall seeing example of it on a previous Matt Chat interview of one of the designers.
Alino

Post by Alino »

Here's an idea -

What if they went back to their roots and did a MASSIVE dungeon, where each floor was twice the size of the current ones (Aka, bigger maps per floor.) And it had the multi-floor support and the occassional cave and such.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Alino wrote:Here's an idea -

What if they went back to their roots and did a MASSIVE dungeon, where each floor was twice the size of the current ones (Aka, bigger maps per floor.) And it had the multi-floor support and the occassional cave and such.
Kind of like a buried pyramid (if you started at the top of the pyramid)?
Alino

Post by Alino »

Yes, something like that. Maybe another grimrock dungeon? (As in one of those things with a massive super-cube. I imagine if they did the boss fight right that a new super cube would actually be pretty coo.)