Thinking, is it time for another Glögg session?

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
MrChoke

Thinking, is it time for another Glögg session?

Post by MrChoke »

After taking many months off of doing Grimrock modding (Ugh, I hate my real job), I am back at it.

I also know Petri is hard at work on another game engine now. But Petri, do you want to take a break and come back here for another quick session? Maybe I can ship you over some American Glögg to help seal the deal (yeah right, American Glögg..)? Anyway, its just a thought if you want to take a break on all that engine stuff.
Zo Kath Ra

Re: Thinking, is it time for another Glögg session?

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

MrChoke wrote:After taking many months off of doing Grimrock modding (Ugh, I hate my real job), I am back at it.

I also know Petri is hard at work on another game engine now. But Petri, do you want to take a break and come back here for another quick session? Maybe I can ship you over some American Glögg to help seal the deal (yeah right, American Glögg..)? Anyway, its just a thought if you want to take a break on all that engine stuff.
Are there any features you would like to see added?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Push-Blocks ignore collisions with doors. It would be nice if they treated closed doors as impassable obstacles. 8-)

Gravity on push-blocks is non-existant in the default game, and flaky if you add your own gravity component, it can takes up to a few seconds before the effect happens, and when it does, they instantly appear on the floor; even if they were hanging from the ceiling, several elevations up.
minmay

Post by minmay »

The only somewhat serious problems I can think of with Grimrock 2 in its current state are
1. the onComputeCooldown hook doesn't work for CastSpellComponent or RunePanelComponent (prevents two standard traits, and lots of custom ones, from working properly)
2. Music doesn't loop correctly unless it has a multiple of 512 stereo samples (i.e. really 1024 samples)
3. Windows version doesn't have the large address aware flag, but probably should

You can think of a lot of other changes to make like fixing ModelComponent:setReflection(), LightComponent:getFadeOut(), EquipmentItemComponent:setDamage() etc., or improving support for non-32x32 levels, or fixing various bugs with workarounds like FrozenMonsterComponent thawing not respecting material overrides, custom recipes crashing for items with custom gfxAtlas, or implementing completely new stuff like Isaac's pushable blocks, but ultimately, these things wouldn't affect the main game, and modders might not even use them at all, so there's little incentive to do them. Every change is another thing that needs to be tested and deployed.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
MrChoke

Post by MrChoke »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:
MrChoke wrote:After taking many months off of doing Grimrock modding (Ugh, I hate my real job), I am back at it.

Are there any features you would like to see added?
I would like the nasty bug in checkLineOfSight() fixed. For people writing custom AI like what I have done, its a major pain. Petri did confirm it a bug after I told him how to reproduce it. Basically if you are in a direct diagonal from a mob (doesn't matter how far away), the mob can see you thru door components in error. You or it moves off the direct diagonal and then he stops seeing you.
MrChoke

Post by MrChoke »

I came across another bug. I use a custom camera object in my dungeon. I get tons of these when the a saved game is loaded:

warning! game object property not saved: camera.camera

NO, it doesn't break the game but its bugged and it shows up on the player's screen after a reload and it won't go away.

This post has been out for a few days now with no AH replies. Looks like the chance of any Grimrock 2 updates seem slim to none.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Of all of them, only Antii has logged in recently... So it's likely that none of the other developers has seen this thread yet; and we don't know if Antii did either. :?

(We should give it a few weeks ~if not months. They are into other projects atm.)
Komag

Post by Komag »

MrChoke wrote:it shows up on the player's screen after a reload and it won't go away.
Sounds like you have console on but most regular players will not so it shouldn't be an issue
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
petri

Post by petri »

Hi there! I'm still reading the forums regularly. *At the moment* I don't have plans for another Glögg session, as I'm quite busy working on the new code base at work and my free time goes to renovating our new house and playing with my 10 month old son. If I do another Glögg session I would like to make some killer features that would increase the potential of modding greatly. Only doing small incremental additions at this point, when there are only a small group of active modders, would be somewhat pointless, I think? Not sure what those killer features would be though. Maybe something that would allow creating add-ons to the official campaign?

I can confirm that "'warning! game object property not saved: camera.camera" is harmless and you can safely ignore it.
MrChoke

Post by MrChoke »

Komag wrote:
MrChoke wrote:it shows up on the player's screen after a reload and it won't go away.
Sounds like you have console on but most regular players will not so it shouldn't be an issue
Oh yeah, its been so long since I changed it. You mean this in the .cfg file:

console = true

If it defaults to false and those warnings won't show, ok.