Best Spell Schools? Opinions from High Level Mages?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
s3lla

Re: Best Spell Schools? Opinions from High Level Mages?

Post by s3lla »

Frost is the best for sure (improved freeze helps you kill anything, only 1 location with freeze immune monsters in game i have seen so far), ice resist is usefull near the end.

second is fire, decent dmg, but mostry for fire resist, since there is lots of monsters hiting you with fire stuff.

3th place is for air, but i doubt you would get enough point with fire and ice for this school too.

earth really useless, too many immune monsters, weak damage over time ;/
Last edited by s3lla on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jikarosa

Post by Jikarosa »

I'm going with two mages. The Insectoid mage is using Air (invisibility and Lightning bolt are great spells).

My human mage is using Earth as the first poison skill is really handy early in the game. It does really nice DoT to low level monsters in first two dungeon levels and has really low energy cost. Later the poison bolt is quite nice too, but the drawback is that undead monsters are immune to poison damage.

Both of the mages also put points to Spellcraft for the attribute boosts and combat casting (very handy). Also Light and Darkness are handy in many situations.
GhoXen

Post by GhoXen »

Ice Bolt is awesome. There is a couple times when a lucky freeze saved my entire party from being crushed into pump by an ogre charging down a long hallway.
xlaZuRelx

Post by xlaZuRelx »

Both level 12 Mages.
Best spells ever will be Ice Ice Bolt (Freeze), Ice Spikes (Line Damage). Bad against Ice lizards
Air will be next. Lightning Bolt ( Massive Damage like x2 my Ice bolts), Invisibility darn good for traps, like those which spawn 5 creatures onto you...
Fire will be good if you specialize in shielding, darn those fire Archons.\
Never liked earth, so many people resist it really well. The undead and those mind flayer thingies.

Btw a major spoiler! You've been warned! :o
SpoilerShow
Ice, Fire dont not work on the last boss but lightning bolt does massive 140 damage, the final weapon also does air damage
Last edited by xlaZuRelx on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

Fire is present through most of the game and ice is a big problem at the end of the game. Taking fire for fire shield and ice for freezing throughout the game is REALLY a good idea.

Not to mention having 2 insect mages gives you a lot more mana and leftover food too!