[MOD] Bloodwych remake - The Rise of Zendik

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
severgates

Re: [MOD] The Rise of Zendik (Bloodwych 16Bit Remake)

Post by severgates »

Another idea came in my mind- why not to allow players to redistribute traits too?
And I've noticed another bug- heroes with "Skilled" trait don't gain additional skillpoints from trait. Bug affects all 4 classes available in mod.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

severgates wrote:Another idea came in my mind- why not to allow players to redistribute traits too?
And I've noticed another bug- heroes with "Skilled" trait don't gain additional skillpoints from trait. Bug affects all 4 classes available in mod.

Hi severgates,

I believe the customisation your mentioning is actually available when you first start the game. There is an option there to completely create your own party and customise everything they are. So, I believe this is probably a better solution than me attempting to recreate that. I also cant see the net benefit if its already there before you start the MOD. Therefore I have now added a section in Nexus that details how to do this if required in the description. I have also added the party names and pictures of them to make it easier for users to add and customise if they want.

Let me know what you think about this. These are the pro's and con's as I see them outlined below:

Option 1 - Create an additional interface to allow customisation of skills and traits for new recruitment area

Pros
Custom interface, makes the experience more immersive as there is a more interactive element to the game
No need to import characters at the begining
No need to ensure portraits are present in portraits folder

Cons
Its already there in the beginning and its done very well, is it worth re-creating?
The only difference between a custom option, and the inbuilt option is the fact that you dont need to import portraits. But other than that nothing more.
Lots of work involved, people might prefer to choose existing party build tool?

Option 2 - Use existing built in party customisation tool

Pros
Its already there, and totally customises the party as required
Easy to use interface

Cons
Has to be done before you start the MOD
Its not as interesting as wondering around dungeon and doing it?
You have to import the portraits, and also make sure the portraits are unzipped into the portriats folder.

Conclusion
Looking at the above options, it might be worth taking a vote from other users on what they think the best option is in this case. My only reservation here is that there is already the party customisation option. If we can get users who want complete customisation to use that its a better option. Otherwise if I get lots of people asking for the ability to customise the party as they explore the dungeon I will add it in.

severgates let me know your opinion on this? I am wondering if you already used this and have a view on it?

Also,

Regarding the bug on skilled you found? I cant recreate it. Can you explain the steps you take to make this happen?

Thanks + let me know how your getting on with the MOD in general and what you think about it?

Take care

Simon
Zastaph
severgates

Post by severgates »

Hello
Got your point of view. I agree there's pointless to fully recreate customization interface within the mod. I've been thinking more about different traits assigned to created heroes. Let me explain:

- all mages have Strong Mind as a first trait and three of them have Skilled as second trait. The only difference is Murlock who has assigned Aura instead of Skilled. My proposal: give Healthy and/or Evasive for some of them.
- all warriors have Tough trait. You could give Blodwyn Agile instead of Tough (her Accuracy and Dexterity are tragic), Fist Fighter trait for one of Warriors instead of Tough (Sir Edward?)
- all rangers have Skilled and Athletic. There's a lot of room to customize them. For instance replacing Athletic with Head Hunter (Sethra) or giving Hengist Aggresive or Evasive trait instead of Athletic would be nice
- since rogues are able to specialize in Assasination or Unarmed Combat you could give two of them possibility to train them in those skills. It requires replacing Skilled trait with Fist Fighter or Agressive.

What do you think about this?
----------------------
Regarding bug- please follow my steps

1. Recruit Murlock and Zothen to party.
2. Compare amount of distributed skillpoints for both heroes.

Both of them have 9 skillpoints (2 for Fire Magic and 7 for Spellcraft) despite the fact, that Zothen has Skilled trait and should have 3 additional skillpoints to distribute. Bug affects all classes and heroes.
---------------------------
Your mod is really nice. Not too hard (puzzles are rather easy), but it would be pretty tough for new players (some of monsters and fights are challenging). I've played only Main Tower and still waiting for final mod version to start playing again, but it's been a pleasure and I had lots of fun while playing this.
kenfusion

Post by kenfusion »

Hey Simon.
I have reached the final tower and now confess to being completely stumped.
I have explored all of the floor that I can after clearing the room :).
I have 2 doors one wooden with no key that does nothing, And one that I am being bidden to enter but it requires a green key. I have in my possession only 2 red keys. did I miss something in the chaos tower?

I haven't upgraded to the new version btw as I didn't want to start again I just left the shop alone in the chaos tower (well named) and all seemed well.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

severgates wrote:Hello
Got your point of view. I agree there's pointless to fully recreate customization interface within the mod. I've been thinking more about different traits assigned to created heroes. Let me explain:

- all mages have Strong Mind as a first trait and three of them have Skilled as second trait. The only difference is Murlock who has assigned Aura instead of Skilled. My proposal: give Healthy and/or Evasive for some of them.
- all warriors have Tough trait. You could give Blodwyn Agile instead of Tough (her Accuracy and Dexterity are tragic), Fist Fighter trait for one of Warriors instead of Tough (Sir Edward?)
- all rangers have Skilled and Athletic. There's a lot of room to customize them. For instance replacing Athletic with Head Hunter (Sethra) or giving Hengist Aggresive or Evasive trait instead of Athletic would be nice
- since rogues are able to specialize in Assasination or Unarmed Combat you could give two of them possibility to train them in those skills. It requires replacing Skilled trait with Fist Fighter or Agressive.

What do you think about this?
----------------------
Regarding bug- please follow my steps

1. Recruit Murlock and Zothen to party.
2. Compare amount of distributed skillpoints for both heroes.

Both of them have 9 skillpoints (2 for Fire Magic and 7 for Spellcraft) despite the fact, that Zothen has Skilled trait and should have 3 additional skillpoints to distribute. Bug affects all classes and heroes.
---------------------------
Your mod is really nice. Not too hard (puzzles are rather easy), but it would be pretty tough for new players (some of monsters and fights are challenging). I've played only Main Tower and still waiting for final mod version to start playing again, but it's been a pleasure and I had lots of fun while playing this.
Hi severgates,

Thanks for this I will indeed add these skills / traits to the champions as you have advised and release the next version

Please see below the suggested build I intend to apply
SpoilerShow
-- Adventurers --

Baldrick the Dung
skills: spellcraft 2, armors 1, swords 2
traits: skilled, athletic

Eleanor of Avalon
skills: earth_magic 2, armors 1, swords 2
traits: skilled, athletic

Hengist Meldanash
skills: axes 2, armors 1, swords 2
traits: skilled, evasive

Sethra Bhoaghail
skills: fire_magic 2, armors 3, swords 1
traits: skilled, head_hunter

-- Archers --

Rosanne Swifthand
skills: daggers 2, dodge 1, missile_weapons 1, throwing_weapons 3
traits: skilled, agile

Elfric Falaendor
skills: daggers 1, dodge 2, missile_weapons 2, throwing_weapons 2
traits: skilled, agile

Mr. Flay Sepulcrast
skills: daggers 1, dodge 3, missile_weapons 1, throwing_weapons 1, unarmed_combat 2
traits: skilled, aggressive

Thai Chang of Ying
skills: daggers 1, dodge 2, missile_weapons 3, throwing_weapons 3
traits: skilled, fist_fighter

-- Fighters --

Blodwyn Stonemaiden
skills: maces 1, swords 1
traits: agile, aggressive

Asteroth Slaemwort
skills: maces 2, swords 2
traits: tough, head_hunter

Sir Edward Lion
traits: fist_fighter, healthy

Ulrich Sternaxe
traits: tough, skilled

-- Mages --

Zothen Runecaster
skills: spellcraft 7, fire_magic 2
traits: strong_mind, evasive

Megrim of Moonwych
traits: healthy, evasive

Murlock Darkenheart
traits: skilled, healthy

Zastaph Mantric
traits: evasive, skilled
As for the bug I will test this also and let you know what I find. If I can recreate this, I will release in the next version. This way users get the champions with the better skills and or traits as required.
Last edited by fazzasx on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zastaph
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

kenfusion wrote:Hey Simon.
I have reached the final tower and now confess to being completely stumped.
I have explored all of the floor that I can after clearing the room :).
I have 2 doors one wooden with no key that does nothing, And one that I am being bidden to enter but it requires a green key. I have in my possession only 2 red keys. did I miss something in the chaos tower?

I haven't upgraded to the new version btw as I didn't want to start again I just left the shop alone in the chaos tower (well named) and all seemed well.
Hi kenfusion,

Can you let me know what floor your on in Zendiks Tower? I will then check this out, or send me some shots of the map if you have enabled it :) Otherwise if you have not enabled it give me some more details, I will do my best to locate where you are and give you some clues.

Thanks for testing out my mod kenfusion. I think your almost there :) Also, please let me know what you think about the MOD. If I get lots of interest I will add the extended levels to it we had back in the 1990's But I want to make sure first its worthwhile :)
Zastaph
kenfusion

Post by kenfusion »

Hi
I am on the very first part.
SpoilerShow
Killed the two dragons went right and found a red key on the floor progressed thru that direction to a dead end but there is a door with no lock or opening mechanism. returned to the main chamber where I entered from (can't leave now due to rockfall) found the fake wall and went thru to the door that says Zendik bids thee to enter. This door requires a green key. I have retraced my steps thru the chaos tower found a few parts I couldn't get too mainly an area at the bottom part of floor 4. Either way I end up at the door in Zendik's tower with one red key (found in the alcove in the first chamber) and no green key.
Regarding feedback I was planning to give you a complete feedback post after finishing but I am loving it so far. One of the largest mods I have played to date, some of the puzzles were tricky, but clearly not impossible. Great Job.

Many thanks for your fast and comprehensive replies
Liz

P.S. I for one would LOVE to do the extra levels should I ever locate that pesky green key :lol:
andyroosta

Post by andyroosta »

I agree..i've only played a bit due to intake of turkey and stuffing but it would be great to see you add more levels.

Thanks a lot for making it..it's great so far!
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

kenfusion wrote:Hi
I am on the very first part.
SpoilerShow
Killed the two dragons went right and found a red key on the floor progressed thru that direction to a dead end but there is a door with no lock or opening mechanism. returned to the main chamber where I entered from (can't leave now due to rockfall) found the fake wall and went thru to the door that says Zendik bids thee to enter. This door requires a green key. I have retraced my steps thru the chaos tower found a few parts I couldn't get too mainly an area at the bottom part of floor 4. Either way I end up at the door in Zendik's tower with one red key (found in the alcove in the first chamber) and no green key.
Regarding feedback I was planning to give you a complete feedback post after finishing but I am loving it so far. One of the largest mods I have played to date, some of the puzzles were tricky, but clearly not impossible. Great Job.

Many thanks for your fast and comprehensive replies
Liz

P.S. I for one would LOVE to do the extra levels should I ever locate that pesky green key :lol:

Thanks kenfusion for your support with this

I know where you are now. Your in the Zendik tower L1. You should be able to progress right and there are 2 doors
SpoilerShow
1 Door requires a red key
1 Door requires a yellow key (door on the right of the yellow lock has the yellow key)

Once your through the yellow door you should see the green key that can open the door in question behind the hidden walls..
Let me know how you get on
Last edited by fazzasx on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zastaph
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

andyroosta wrote:I agree..i've only played a bit due to intake of turkey and stuffing but it would be great to see you add more levels.

Thanks a lot for making it..it's great so far!

Thanks andyroosta,

I am really pleased you like the MOD. I am going to add more to existing levels already carved out. But as I am getting interest in extending the levels (as in BloodWych extended levels I will get the other levels in also and advise one completed.

take care + let me know if you have any recommendations on the existing MOD.
Zastaph