[MOD] Bloodwych remake - The Rise of Zendik

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
fazzasx

[MOD] Bloodwych remake - The Rise of Zendik

Post by fazzasx »

WHAT IS THE RISE OF ZENDIK?
- A Complete MOD, add-on to the original 16bit PC/Amiga/Atari ST game Bloodwych of the 1990's, in the spirit of the original version but reworked for a more updated feel.

ABOUT THE ORIGINAL GAME (BLOODWYCH)
Bloodwych is a fantasy role-plaing game which was first released for the Atari ST and Amiga in 1989 and for the PC in 1990. The player controls a party of up to four characters from four different classes on a quest through a large dungeon. The original game involved fighting monsters, collecting items, casting spells, and solving puzzles. Bloodwych also had multi-player capability for two people with a split-screen view (Note that the Grimrock engine wont allow for 2 players). The game is quite large, spanning 42 levels of various sizes. It's possible to complete the game in 30 hours or less.

WHY AM I DOING THIS?
I am hoping that by attempting to remake this game, it will draw in the people that used to play the original. It may also
attract the attention of a game house (here is hoping) that they would take it on and totally remaster it and release as new
to the younger generation. Even if that does not happen, its some good old updated nostalgia for everyone that used to play the original game

QUICK LIST OF FEATURES:
- All original puzzles, and some updated are added
- All towers are present and use different wallsets (Main Tower, Serpent Tower, Moon Tower, Dragon Tower, Chaos Tower, Zendik's Tower)
- All food, items in original game are placed in the same locations
- Monsters are also in the same locations as the original game
- Recruitment Area to customise entire party as well as an optional more organised recruitment area
- TODO, will add (if lots of interest) the extended levels to a future release of this MOD

TOWERS / DUNGEONS ARE:
- The Keep (You start here)
- The Serpent Tower
- The Moon Tower
- The Dragon Tower
- The Chaos Tower
- Zendik's Tower

DOWNLOADS:
http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/406/?

HOW TO PLAY:
First, you need to have the original game Legend of Grimrock installed (support the indie developers by purchasing using below link)

http://www.grimrock.net/buy/

Download the dungeon's ".dat" file from Steam or Nexus

Place it in one of the folders (depending on your OS below):

PC: \Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock\Dungeons
Mac: /Library/Application Support/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock/
Linux: ~/.local/share/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock

Start Grimrock and select "Custom Dungeon" from the main menu

(You must be running Grimrock version 1.3.6 or higher, or 1.3.7 for Macs

---------------------------------------

QUICK ACTION BAR: (by JohnWordsworth)

The Quick Action Bar functions as follows:

- Click on the right side of the panel to move it anywhere on the screen.
- Select an active champion from the four champion buttons on the left side.
- With a champion selected, the action buttons do the following:
* The axe/shield button swaps the items in the champion's hands with
whatever is in the first two slots of the champion's inventory.
* The healing and energy potion buttons will consume a potion in ANY
champion's inventory (but not in sacks/chests) and apply it to the
selected champion.

HOTKEYS:
- Press ',' to toggle the quick bar on/off.
- Press '.' to reset its position (in case it gets stuck under the portraits).
- 1,2,3,4 to select champions (also, i,o,k,l)
- g,h,j to activate the three buttons ("Gear" swap, "Health" potion, energy "Juice")
- Or click on the tiny ".." in the upper right corner to customize all the hotkeys to your liking

---------------------------------------

CREDITS:
- Daniv/Sutekh: code, textures
- Germanny - Items
- Leki - Models
- Jan Glembotzki - Music
- Spacecookie - Portraits (some still in progress)
- Komag - Scripting help
- Jkos - Framework
- Xanathar: code, item
- JohnWordsworth: code, GMT, QAB
- grimwold: code

TESTERS:
- severgates
- kenfusion

Enjoy and all comments welcome. Please test, advise me if I need to change anything.
SpoilerShow
Remake attempt of the Classic RPG Bloodwych 16bit.

-- Current Release --

v4.3
- chaos tower, added blade and wall text, changed a red lock to brass key lock to prevent confusion.
- zendik tower, added floor drains where some tentacles are supposed to be, changed walls around that had crystals for incorrect towers. Fixed earth quake issue at start.
- added more armour around the towers
- various code and bug fixes resolved

-- Version History --

v4.2
- magic spells for all mages can only be used if a scroll for that spell is found in the dungeon. This makes the process of
obtaining scrolls and learning spells more interesting
- added optional challenge to the Serpent Tower that awards skill points
- removed healing cystals and added special reforge/restoration chambers, these now look more like the original Bloodwych game
- stairs on serpent tower L6-L5 were not setup correctly, resolved now.
- still too much food, have removed more..
- added more mortars

v4.1
- removed pull chains from some doors that were meant to be used with keys on Moon Tower L3 and Serpent Tower L5, L7
- added a series of challenge rooms somewhere in the keep, if found you can take on 4 sets of varying challenges and be awarded xp, skills, armour or potions

v4.0
- added new custom music to the the keep
- added new custom music to the chaos tower

v3.9
- updated serpent tower level 1, pillar is removed when you push a button near the end of this tower
- updated entrance to zendik's tower to have more space and statues behind the altars
- replaced gem socket for chaos gem in zendik's tower
- updated wall text in zendik tower for banishing the lords of entropy
- updated level information to show the keep rather than main tower and added 'the' behind each tower description

v3.8
- added flooded dungeon area to the keep
- updated murlock's portrait.

v3.7
- added a permit to the zendik tower
- improved zendik actions and interactions
- added barbarian axeman with improved hit and attack sounds

v3.6.1
- added a door to the last level of the moon tower to ensure gem is picked up after completion
- added additional gem checking functions to Zendik tower entrance and before you get to the last level
- added a heal function for one of the crystals when placed back in its slot
- added a chaos key to the chaos tower
- updated champion stats
- reduced the amount of food in the game
- added more torches to the remaining 3 towers
- added 2 extra healing rooms to chaos and zendik towers
- added more secrets to the dungeon
- added the quickbar to enhance ease of use and gameplay

v3.5
- updated skills and traits for all classes
- added a missed pullchain to door in zendik tower level 1
- placed more secrets in the dungeon and added more plants for use with pestle and mortar
- fixed a problem with zendik tower level 2, duplicate with entity id's

v3.4
- fixed a crash problem with shop in the chaos tower level 2

v3.3
- fixed a problem when saving the game if you had the recruitment gui displayed it would crash the game

v3.2
- added pestle and mortar to the dungeon
- fixed problem in dragon tower level 8 if gem was removed and replaced it closed the entrance door resulting in there being no way out of the room

v3.1
- added some fireball spawners to the dragon tower level 8

v3.0
- fixed button on dragon tower level 5
- fixed dragon health on dragon tower level 8
- removed colourless locks found in the dungeon
- fixed possible lag in the game in the dragon tower
- corrected a spelling error in the dragon tower

v2.9
- fixed stair errors in the chaos tower.
- removed gems accidently left for testing

v2.8
- altered stairs in chaos tower level 8
- fixed stairs problem in chaos tower level 6

v2.7
- alteration to the dungeon name

v2.6
- houskeep, reduced file size
- removed teleporter near begining

v2.5
- removed a shop in moon tower level 2
- removed pit in the keep level 5

v2.4
- fixed a problem with incorrectly named entities in moon tower

v2.3
- updated the crypt area in the Keep to include a new wallset

v2.2
- added ace of swords with chaos gauntlets

v2.1
- added intro with music

v2.0
- removed lizard from the keep level 4
- removed doors from new recruitment area
- moved the keep level 1 and made corridor longer
- Blodwyn changed to be female and re-named to Blodwyn Stonemaiden

v1.9
- updated shops in the keep level 4 and level 5
- added custom welcolme script

v1.8
- added 2 recruitment areas, 1 is traditional, other is new and updated

v1.7
- added shops to the keep and moon tower

v1.6
- added gem wall buttons

v1.5
- added ending

v1.4
- added better music for the keep
- gems are all named correctly

v1.3
- added secrets
- added champtalk
- removed snail slice drop from axemen

v1.2
- added skills to champions & traits

v1.1
- first public release
Last edited by fazzasx on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Zastaph
kenfusion

Re: [MOD] The Rise of Zendik (Bloodwych 16Bit Remake)

Post by kenfusion »

I started this mod on Saturday and its AWESOME! It has been a while since a mod has had me running around in circles so much :).

Some nifty stuff in here that I haven't seen before . I have completed the serpent tower and visited the moon tower (just the one floor?)

One of the merchants in the moon tower bugs out tho and kind of teleports himself out of his shop.

I am now stuck as to where to go now tho. I have 3 gems and 1 iron key and am at a loss as to what to do. Did I miss something in the moon tower or is it really that small (looks incredible btw)
I have a suspicion it maybe the gems I remember finding some gem holders early on but ofc I didn't mark my map and have no clue where they were so I have gone back to the beginning and am working my way up thru the main Tower. ><

Anyway just wanted to say excellent work thank you so much and I highly recommend this mod to everyone +1.
kenfusion

Post by kenfusion »

ok I found a way to the rest of the temple wow that was sneaky ^^.

I went to the top right of the map after killing a crab and going a little further I found a key when I went to try and use the key I encountered this error.

https://gyazo.com/04f3adeaa632fde7f0603c1ba63262db

Sadly it seems whenever I try to open this door the game crashes with the same error message.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

kenfusion wrote:ok I found a way to the rest of the temple wow that was sneaky ^^.

I went to the top right of the map after killing a crab and going a little further I found a key when I went to try and use the key I encountered this error.

https://gyazo.com/04f3adeaa632fde7f0603c1ba63262db

Sadly it seems whenever I try to open this door the game crashes with the same error message.

Hi Kenfusion,

Firstly thankyou so much for playing my mod. I really do appreciate it.

Secondly, I have uploaded v2.4 that will resolve the problem your having to Nexus. Let me know how you get on :)

Finally, yes it has taken me almost 3 years to complete this mod. Its massive, complex, and as close as possible in terms of layout and puzzles as the original game.

To keep it as real as possible I played both the Amiga version and Grimrock in synch to make sure monsters were all in the same places, items were almost the same. So, hopefully your in for a real treat. BTW, how did you find the recruitment areas? :) That took me weeks to sort out..

Good luck, and let me know how you get on with the updated version.
Zastaph
kenfusion

Post by kenfusion »

Wow 3 years that is impressive. But I can tell a lot of love has gone into this. I have not tried your recruitment as I use my trusty party. Have to say I think this would be a very challenging mod starting with a new party I will maybe give it a go once I complete it. I have seen the recruitment area tho as I fell thru the floor into it, It reset my party and I did go around and choose a new party so it all works fine. I am very impressed so far the thought behind it, the moving pillars and your sneaky turner teleports! This for me is the mod of pillars and tearing tapestries. I can't help myself I have to check behind every one :) I will keep you updated if I find anymore bugs but once again I extend my gratitude for your time and effort and allowing me to continue playing and loving this awesome game.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

kenfusion wrote:Wow 3 years that is impressive. But I can tell a lot of love has gone into this. I have not tried your recruitment as I use my trusty party. Have to say I think this would be a very challenging mod starting with a new party I will maybe give it a go once I complete it. I have seen the recruitment area tho as I fell thru the floor into it, It reset my party and I did go around and choose a new party so it all works fine. I am very impressed so far the thought behind it, the moving pillars and your sneaky turner teleports! This for me is the mod of pillars and tearing tapestries. I can't help myself I have to check behind every one :) I will keep you updated if I find anymore bugs but once again I extend my gratitude for your time and effort and allowing me to continue playing and loving this awesome game.
Thanks kenfusion,

Have now updated it to v2.5 This is essentially to remove one of the shops from the moon tower (dont need 2 really) and to cover the pit in the Main Tower level 5 because the recruitment area closes, you dont want to fall into a closed area :)

I will work now on getting the filesize down as I am sure it can be a lot smaller than it currently is.

Let me know how you get on.
Zastaph
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

fazzasx wrote:
kenfusion wrote:Wow 3 years that is impressive. But I can tell a lot of love has gone into this. I have not tried your recruitment as I use my trusty party. Have to say I think this would be a very challenging mod starting with a new party I will maybe give it a go once I complete it. I have seen the recruitment area tho as I fell thru the floor into it, It reset my party and I did go around and choose a new party so it all works fine. I am very impressed so far the thought behind it, the moving pillars and your sneaky turner teleports! This for me is the mod of pillars and tearing tapestries. I can't help myself I have to check behind every one :) I will keep you updated if I find anymore bugs but once again I extend my gratitude for your time and effort and allowing me to continue playing and loving this awesome game.
Thanks kenfusion,

Have now updated it to v2.5 This is essentially to remove one of the shops from the moon tower (dont need 2 really) and to cover the pit in the Main Tower level 5 because the recruitment area closes, you dont want to fall into a closed area :)

I will work now on getting the filesize down as I am sure it can be a lot smaller than it currently is.

Let me know how you get on.
Have now released v2.6
Removed a testing teleporter from Main Tower L4 (sorry for that)
Reduced file size
Zastaph
kenfusion

Post by kenfusion »

You sir are putting me thru purgatory.
No I am kidding, :lol: I restarted after your first update but have been swamped at work so it will be tomorrow before I can start again properly, I will give you an update over the weekend.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

kenfusion wrote:You sir are putting me thru purgatory.
No I am kidding, :lol: I restarted after your first update but have been swamped at work so it will be tomorrow before I can start again properly, I will give you an update over the weekend.

Hi kenfusion,

I have now uploaded an updated version 2.9 to Nexus Mods.

This resolves a problem with 2 of the stairs in the chaos tower. I also had to remove some gems laying around in the dragon and chaos tower I had accidently left there for testing purposes.
Zastaph
kenfusion

Post by kenfusion »

hello again.
I am currently at the top of the dragon tower. That thing is too OP I can't kill it.

I noticed a couple of things as well. In the dragon tower level 4 there is a spelling mistake on one of the walls , it is in the bottom right corner near where the gem portals are.

In the serpent tower there is a door that requires a pink key but when you look at the lock it looks white. Again I am probably not being very helpful as again I can't recall the exact location but I recall going upstairs to get the pink key and then returning back down to the doorway.

Any hints on how to kill that demon dragon would be appreciated. It seems immune to everything, the only thing I can seem to damage it with is my assassin guy with a little backstab dagger. All other weapons and spells seem useless.

I decided to retract thru the temple as I found my way thru without completing all the levels. I forgot to mention that the first giant green dragon that is in the room right near the entrance to the level made my pc lag out big time. I have found another bug too when pressing the wall button bottom left (directly NE of the stairs) level 5 dragon tower. Here is the error message.

https://gyazo.com/8160dd50b7e7f08d5fac9bf2b85493f0