Magic is too cumbersome...

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Cutter

Magic is too cumbersome...

Post by Cutter »

Can we at least get a patch that will leave the spell punched in ready to cast at all times untill changed? Having to punch in runes while avoiding mobs and having your melee and other ranged group is a real pain in the ass. Particularly those 4 rune spells.
Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
luthur1964

Re: Magic is too cumbersome...

Post by luthur1964 »

If I understand you, I believe that functionality is already there. I prep the spell without casting it, then do other inventory things. When I right click on the caster's wand again, the runes are still selected. It works great.

Now the second cast will be a few more hectic "real-time" clicks, as it should be IMO.

Also, if you need to change the spell, you need only click the highlighted rune again, and you lose no "mana"/energy in the process - not until spell is cast. This was not the case in DM. You spent mana with every click.
MStahl

Post by MStahl »

Personally, I enjoy the feel of "casting on the fly". :D

What might be an interesting feature, however, would be to key-bind rune patterns. Essentially, you would draw the rune pattern you want, then press a key to bind that pattern. The next time you open the rune interface, just hit the bound key and "boom"... pattern ready to cast. :idea:
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Hrrm, I have a wand, but after I cast a spell I need to punch in the runes again in order to recast it which is a real pain particularly if I'm hard pressed by several mobs. I know I can prep it and leave it ready to cast off the bat, but after cast it has to be entered for me. Maybe I'm messing something up if you're saying you don't need to input them after every cast. Hrm.
Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
Rorrik

Post by Rorrik »

You do have to input it every time you cast, but I don't see any reason to change that. It would be a pain to change to ice shards if I opened it and found lightning still in there. I change spells often and wouldn't like it to assume I was using the same one. With regard to key bindings, it would make things easier and wouldn't get in the way, but as has been said, the challenge is intentional. Think fast!
hapro

Post by hapro »

Keys should probably be bound to runes somehow (not spells), but saving spells isn't really necessary. The biggest issue for me is misclicks, which not only punishes you for not hitting the right rune, but also again for having to deselect the rune you wrongly selected. Middle of battle + sensitive mouse + tiny buttons = lots of misclicks.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

Cutter wrote:Can we at least get a patch that will leave the spell punched in ready to cast at all times untill changed? Having to punch in runes while avoiding mobs and having your melee and other ranged group is a real pain in the ass. Particularly those 4 rune spells.
It would just change combat spells to instant super-weapons and the whole tactical combat aspect of the game would become boring.
All combat in this type of games is about tactics:

- Don't give the monsters the chance to ambush you. Only explore new areas, if you have cleared your back.
- Know your escape route.
- Don't fight multiple monsters, always try to lure one away -> '4 against 1' not 'fair play' is the name of the game. And the 4 is your party.
- Recognize good battlefields:
* long corridors that allow to blindly go backwards for constant distance attacks
* Chambers for melee fights ('circling' is the standard manoeuvre, the whole combat system is designed around - it's NOT a 'gamy cheat'.
* In the most ideal outcome the monsters never manage to hit you, you hit them and slide away.
- Assure you have freedom of movement (no pits, teleporters, etc.)

- Magic is NOT for melee (only magic weapons):
- Magic is an arcane discipline, demanding years of study in a library, not a gym. It depends on the proper performance of thaumaturgical gestures at the right moment (the 'clicking' of the rune-glyphs).
Last edited by Mychaelh on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

Mychaelh wrote:It would just change combat spells to instant super-weapons and the whole tactical combat aspect of the game would become boring.
All combat in these type of games is about tactics: [snip]
- Magic is an arcane discipline, demanding years study in a library, not a gym. It depends on the proper performance of thaumaturgical gestures at the right moment (the 'clicking' of the rune-glyphs).
Thank you! This is exactly the sort of reasoned explanation that should hopefully get people thinking the right way about the magic system: the point is that it's not supposed to be too easy.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

The tactical aspect of combat in LoG is really good designed:
SpoilerShow
When you come down to Level 2 there is a room containing a field with some rotting crates, which can be smashed.
But there is nothing useful in it. You will soon find out, why it's a good idea to hack them to pieces...especially when playing at hard difficulty.
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

Cutter wrote:Having to punch in runes while avoiding mobs and having your melee and other ranged group is a real pain in the ass.
Methinks the point hath been missed...