"Backwards-compatible" Vitality

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
mystrdat

"Backwards-compatible" Vitality

Post by mystrdat »

This has been a long standing issue in older titles, where Vitality determined your health gains per level. In effect, it meant that in order to maximize your character, you had to push vitality first before anything else. As it penalized any other choice and had a forever negative effect unlike any other stat, devs started to remove this limitation in modern titles and when you leveled up or upgraded your vitality somehow, the health gains for previous levels were recounted.

I haven't really tested it as much as I probably should before posting, but it feels like the devs chose the old vitality system (the description suggests it and I haven't noticed any additional health gain when upgrading Vitality with skills - meaning you should create chars with +6 vitality, Healthy trait and push Athletics max for fighters first to benefit max health per level). In case I'm wrong, please supply some number crunching - otherwise I'd like the devs to reconsider this rule decision and recount the health retrospectively when upgraded.
Last edited by mystrdat on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mystrdat

Re: "Backwards-compatible" Vitality

Post by mystrdat »

No definite answer about this? *bump*
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

In LOG everything is done with skill points. Why it is still possible to push vitality somewhat with certain skill chains such as Athletics. That not advisable since you will be a a very gimped character, if you don't put points in other skills. Rogues in fact have not a single skill that has any effect on vitality. So I don't think its an issue with this game.
Renevent

Post by Renevent »

????

Anyways I was wondering the same thing, and agree that reading the description for VIT when I was creating my characters seemed to point that it was like how described.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

A question to the TC...What would you have determine health gains. Seems like a system that has worked for many games..
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

I'd like to politely ask for a dev answer in that case. Please share some insight on this issue.

@dbgager I'd simply like to see health retrospectively readded as if you started the game with your current vitality level, that's how it has been fixed in other games, so not rushing for vitality max first isn't punished.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Then why even have vitality as it would serve no purpose. In this game it really is not a good tactic to concentrate only on 1 sikill chain ( athletics ). I don't see it as a problem myself...and I am sure most other people don't. So when you say fixed..What you mean is fixed for you. Not that it is an actual problem.
Last edited by dbgager on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hapro

Post by hapro »

dbgager wrote:In LOG everything is done with skill points. Why it is still possible to push vitality somewhat with certain skill chains such as Athletics. That not advisable since you will be a a very gimped character, if you don't put points in other skills. Rogues in fact have not a single skill that has any effect on vitality. So I don't think its an issue with this game.
The issue is that, in end-game, you could have two characters with identical stats, but one of them has 100 HP more than the other one because he chose to get the VIT skills first and the other chose to get the STR skills first.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Its not an issue, or something that needs to be fixed. Its a decision on your part on how you would like to develop your character. Would youu rather every character was exactly the same.
hapro

Post by hapro »

dbgager wrote:Its not an issue, or something that needs to be fixed. Its a decision on your part on how you would like to develop your character. Would youu rather every character was exactly the same.
Yes, two characters with identical gear, stats, and traits should be identical. It is an issue because, if implemented, one choice is objectively better than the other and there's no way to go back and fix it.