Dear Devs, great game but need clarification on role of DEX

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Dalton

Re: Dear Devs, great game but need clarification on role of

Post by Dalton »

bear in mind that throwing weapons leave a hand free to use a shield or a torch, so there has to be a down side to the versatility or launchers would be a joke.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Indeed in fact the difference between the two seems to be settling down nicely. AH may have actually put some thought into this! (As if we ever doubted!) ;)
SpoilerShow
Missile Weapons (Bow etc) - More damage but no back up weapon and increases off attribute (dex)

Throwing Weapons (Shurikens, Rocks etc) - Less damage but you have a hand free for a back up weapon etc, skill increases damage.
Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

A question though- wouldn't any strong fighter be able to use missile weapons like a pro?

It simply doesn't make much sense... :|
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Jack Dandy wrote:A question though- wouldn't any strong fighter be able to use missile weapons like a pro?
They could use them, but not as good as someone who is trained to do so. (the skills allow you to throw/fire twice as fast or throw two missiles at once etc) So yeah giving your fighter a backup missile weapon is a great idea, but the Rogue will be better at it. (especially if you give them a decent strength)

My ranged Rogue is a Minotaur. :P

Daniel.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Hahahaha
Oh well! So far the game's battles are very fun in any case.
Ishmaril

Post by Ishmaril »

I do understand now, but clearly, this is very confusing in game. I put all my points in DEX, specially after seing that Missiles weapons boosted DEX (and indeed, it does not make sense that strength boost the damage of a crossbow, unless you throw it in their face), and i put the remaining point in vitality, thinking that strength was completely useless for my bow rogue.

So now, the very strong point of my rogue is dex, which is almost totally useless for him. Kinda disappointing ... (i never put him in front row yet, never needed it)
London Pride

Post by London Pride »

Darklord wrote:Indeed in fact the difference between the two seems to be settling down nicely. AH may have actually put some thought into this! (As if we ever doubted!) ;)
SpoilerShow
Missile Weapons (Bow etc) - More damage but no back up weapon and increases off attribute (dex)

Throwing Weapons (Shurikens, Rocks etc) - Less damage but you have a hand free for a back up weapon etc, skill increases damage.
Daniel.
I think that sums up the advantages and disadvantages between Missile and Throwing pretty well. It actually gives you some options to consider and can always try a different setup on another playthrough. I have started my rogue more strength based with throwing weapon and spear at back, im sure on my next attempt i will go pure missile weapon :) I dont think there is any wrong or right way for approaching this.

Question though for those that mentioned having to put their missile weapon armed rogue into the front rank in heated combat, can you actually swap the missile weapon to another type during combat? or do you just rely on their high dexterity to dodge/evade to buy some time? :)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

London Pride wrote: I have started my rogue more strength based with throwing weapon and spear at back, im sure on my next attempt i will go pure missile weapon :) I dont think there is any wrong or right way for approaching this.
Yeah exactly the same here, just wish I hadn't left my Mino with Dex 6 for attacking with her spear! :lol:

Daniel.
RPGAlien

Post by RPGAlien »

After reading through this, it does seem more balanced. Missile weapons having higher base damage to contemplate for the strength boost given by using throwing weapons. But wouldn't it make sense, that increased accuracy with bows let's you hit more vulnerable spots on your enemies, and as such let's you deal higher damage? Maybe increasing the critical hit chance?

Also, will strength increase crossbow damage? Would be kinda silly, though I can understand it necesary for the cause of balancing the game.

Lastly (while being on the topic of accuracy), and this might be a but off topic, but it seems like I miss a lot more when I'm without any light (figthing in darkness). Would totally make sense, but I haven't seen anyone else mention this, neither have I seen it confirmed anywhere else. Any1 knows anything about this?
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Yeah, strength effects crossbow damage as well.
Would totally make sense, but I haven't seen anyone else mention this, neither have I seen it confirmed anywhere else. Any1 knows anything about this?
Would appreciate a confirmation on this one.