Hello all - glad to see the DM spirit lives on

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Balcombe

Hello all - glad to see the DM spirit lives on

Post by Balcombe » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:30 am

Hi all.

My name is Balcombe, and I'm a few years late to the party. Just found out that a game like Legend of Grimrock even existed this last weekend (Thank you ProJared for ranking LoG top pick of 2012!).

And while I usually stay away from online forums due to the large amount of hateful, poor-grammared inbred, clone-vat, illogical zomboid children, I was so happy with Grimrock, I wanted to join in on the community, as well as provide resources for fans of the original DM games.

While LoG has it's downsides (as any game does), overall, it is the perfect spiritual, modern day rebirth of games like Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back, EoB, etc.

Point is, I'm happy to see Almost Human working hard to keep the old school alive, and quite frankly, they can't shut up and take my money fast enough!

Anyway, being that this is a community based post, I wanted to let people know there is still a small and active Dungeon Master community alive on the internet. There main forum can be found here:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/

To go hand in hand with that, here is the Dungeon Master Encyclopedia, with many resources related to many of the games:

http://dmweb.free.fr/

Grimlock is the best old-school game I've played since DM and CSB, both of which I still come around to playing once every other year or two, when I really crave torture. I mean, for all the modern bells and whistles that continue to muck up modern-day gaming, while pretty, it is often lacking in true challenge and imagination. Prior to LoG, the closest I could find to a modern reboot of those games (ie, modern engine, 3D modeling, etc.) was a fully 3D rendering of the original Dungeon Master, as created by Rasmus from the Dungeon Master forums (listed above). He might still be around there if anyone is so inclined, and even for a beta that never saw a final release, the game is complete, and a perfect 3D and updated copy of DM - immersive, engaging, nostalgic and fun.

Anyway, just wanted to share those resources in case any other super geeks out there were unaware that they existed. Hope to talk to and see more of the community in the future, and I can't wait for Legend of Grimrock 2.

Until next time,

-Balcombe

P.S. - I've browsed a lot of the forum posts here, and for all the people who found elements of LoG obtuse and frustrating, apparently they have never played Chaos Strikes Back :)

BuzzJ

Re: Hello all - glad to see the DM spirit lives on

Post by BuzzJ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 am

Hello! Welcome! There is a small, but active community here. Hop over to the modding forum. There is a DM remake that is pretty well polished. A lot of original work has come out too. There is a lot of potential for the "dungeon master-style interface" beyond just what was actually produced in the 80s and 90s.

Balcombe

Post by Balcombe » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi. Thanks for the welcome. Will definitely be sure to check out the DM remake (among others). Can't wait to see what the community has come up with!

germanny

Post by germanny » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:28 am

Welcome Balcombe, the spirit of DM is freed and vital!
I know the DM Forum and the Enzyclopedia for a loong time - even if i´m a rare poster, i was a continuous reader^^
And i did some graphic stuff (uh.. this is more as a decade away) to let DM live on.

At this point a heartful 'thank you' to the admin group there, seeing you hold up the whole stuff over the years was always a pleasure and motivation.
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker

Balcombe

Post by Balcombe » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi Germanny:

Yes - there is a great group over there at the forum/ency, along with some talented programmers and artists.

Speaking of which - there seems to be some great talent here in the Grimrock community as well.

I have seen quite a bit of your work on the forum, and I am currently experiencing it first hand in the mod "Back In To The Dungeon." I must say, between the dungeon, the art work and everything else, you and comscript have done a phenomenal job. Thanks for all your work.

germanny

Post by germanny » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:50 am

Thank you!
And yes, comscript did awesome work in scripting. Nice person. He did it the old way as near as possible.
For me, this is/was a self education (and hardened DM fan) project to use blender 3D for game assets and general,
and to strenghten Pixel image skills in photoshop and gimp.
After i played DM back in ´89 i always thought around getting the DM style to modern graphics and more possibilities^^
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker