Excited to try this again, lots of questions.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Taem

Excited to try this again, lots of questions.

Post by Taem » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:26 pm

It's been awhile since I've really sat down to play a game. I bought this game ages ago and never played more than a few minutes of it because real-life consumed all my free-time. Now I'm finally in a position to start a game and this is the game I will be playing. So on to my numerous questions:

In the latest version - v1.3.4 I believe - in regards to my experience with Dungeon Master, do you;
1) Get experience for picking up items and throwing them?
2) Get experience for beating on doors with weapons?
3) Get experience for randomly casting spells?

General Questions; I'm still at the starting area and haven't moved yet, these questions burst into my brain
4) How do you resurrect a dead hero?
5) How do you eat? Right-click the item?
6) Is there a list of item quality available somewhere (i.e. armor points, penalties, etc.), or is everything pretty much listed on the items. In DM, you had to turn to outside resources for this info - Cartographers handbook anyone?
7) I just cast a spell by clicking on an element. So I take it there is no more power level like in DM? Does this mean your spells get more powerful as you get more powerful?
8) Can you swap/replace heroes later in the dungeon?

Thanks for any replies ahead of time. I expect to have more questions in the future. Sorry if all my questions have already been answered somewhere, but I had so many, I felt it'd best be served if I asked them all in one thread. Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

Dr.Disaster

Re: Excited to try this again, lots of questions.

Post by Dr.Disaster » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Taem wrote:In the latest version - v1.3.4 I believe - in regards to my experience with Dungeon Master, do you;
1) Get experience for picking up items and throwing them?
2) Get experience for beating on doors with weapons?
3) Get experience for randomly casting spells?
The current version is 1.3.7. If yours is lower better patch the game before attempting any custom dungeons.

The answer to all three questions above is "no". Reason is that LoG is not "learning by doing" based as DM is. The main campaign grants experience for monster kills only. Some custom mods grant additional experience for other things like completing puzzles or finding secrets but not for training.
Taem wrote:4) How do you resurrect a dead hero?
By touching a healing crystal. You'll find the first at the end of level 1.
Taem wrote:5) How do you eat? Right-click the item?
Aye plus drag'n'drop to the char portraits inside char inventory.
Taem wrote:6) Is there a list of item quality available somewhere (i.e. armor points, penalties, etc.), or is everything pretty much listed on the items. In DM, you had to turn to outside resources for this info - Cartographers handbook anyone?
There are no hidden stats as in DM. Everything an item does is presented by the item.
Taem wrote:7) I just cast a spell by clicking on an element. So I take it there is no more power level like in DM? Does this mean your spells get more powerful as you get more powerful?
Spells get more powerful as the required magic skill goes up i.e. Fire Magic.
Taem wrote:8) Can you swap/replace heroes later in the dungeon?
You can't in the main campaign.
Yet there are a few custom-made dungeons that feature char swaps like "The Sunset Gate" or "The Eye of the Dragon".

Taem

Post by Taem » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have the latest version, I just didn't go to the main screen to verify it. I think you answered all my questions and I just made it to level 2, the old Tunnels and found the healing crystal. I like so far. Not sure how I feel about not being able to "learn as you go", as that was one of the more unique and fun game play experiences of DM, that allowed you to gain some extra experience if you didn't feel powerful enough for what the designers had planned out for you, but I can see it from a designers point of view also. In any case, having a complete blast! Game is brilliant!

Taem

Post by Taem » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:29 am

Okay new question; one of my party members just died. After I raise him using the stone on level 1, will he suffer any temporary or permanent penalties to his stats for being resurrected?

And my female thief only has a str of 11, but has just leveled up and has 3 point into thrown weapons. Are thrown weapons damage based on strength, and missile weapons based on dex? Her dex is 16.
Last edited by Taem on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:32 am

Taem wrote:Thank you for your reply. I have the latest version, I just didn't go to the main screen to verify it. I think you answered all my questions and I just made it to level 2, the old Tunnels and found the healing crystal. I like so far. Not sure how I feel about not being able to "learn as you go", as that was one of the more unique and fun game play experiences of DM, that allowed you to gain some extra experience if you didn't feel powerful enough for what the designers had planned out for you, but I can see it from a designers point of view also. In any case, having a complete blast! Game is brilliant!
The missing "learn as you go" is not a real problem as long as you don't screw up your party too much by spreading your skill points all across the board. As long as you stay with 1 (max 2) attack, 1 utiliy and 1 defence skill per character there is not much that can go wrong.

In case you find an area too tough to deal with it's prolly a side quest. The slime dungeon is a prime example to this. Such areas can be left alone and returned to later on after a few more level up's or once better gear was found. Also the main campaign has a few areas where monsters actually respawn. They can be used to "train" the party if need be ;-)
Taem wrote:Okay new question; one of my party members just died. After I raise him using the stone on level 1, will he suffer any temporary or permanent penalties to his stats for being resurrected?
In general LoG has no penalties for resurrection.

It might be possible that custom dungeons could feature this but so far i did not encounter it in any map i played.
Taem wrote:And my female thief only has a str of 11, but has just leveled up and has 3 point into thrown weapons. Are thrown weapons damage based on strength, and missile weapons based on dex? Her dex is 16.
The damage output of all melee and ranged attack skills is influenced by Strength at a +1 damage per +2 strength ratio. Dexterity adds to the Accuracy stat and thus to-hit-chance but only for melee weapons. Ranged weapons usually hit as long as a target is in front of you. Yet Dex is not useless since it also adds to Evasion and two of LoG's four resistances.

Taem

Post by Taem » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Getting so mad! I can't figure out how to hotkey antidote and health potions, and when I fight the spiders in level 3 right after the teleporter puzzle, they constantly kill me no matter what tactic I use! If I could figure out how to hotkey my potions, this would not be an issue, but when I have to rt-click the avatar icon then rt-click the potion, I've already been struck 3-extra times by them which usually results in one of my front fighters death because I don't have time to switch over to the other guy and repeat the rt-click fiasco. Help?

EDIT: I killed them by using the door as a tool to fight one spider one at a time, close the door to drink pots, open the door to attack, sleep when out of ingredients to make pots. Now I'm further into the dungeon without any ingredients and this room with two spider is destroying me and there's no room to side-step. So sad.

Big problem. When I first started playing, LoG made my characters for me. It gave my rogue points in three different skills, but it started her off with two points into thrown weapons, so I figured that must be her specialty. Well, since strength is a factor for thrown weapons and her strength is dismal, I have no idea why the game created her with all those points into thrown weapons, and I've been foolishly plopping points into thrown weapons ever since only to find out the sling I've been using with her is considered a missile weapon, as is the super cool bow I found and enchanted arrows. I've feeling a bit let down regarding this. Is there a way I can reset her skill points? All my other characters I'm completely happy with, but she definitely got the short end of the stick and the way she's currently dealing damage (avg of 10-15), she's useless to me so I don't know what to do without a way to reset her skill points.

Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:21 am

Taem wrote:I can't figure out how to hotkey antidote and health potions ...
There are no potion hotkeys (or other hotkeys) in the main campaign.

The modding community has put together a quick-action bar but you'll see it only in a handful of custom dungeons which make use of it. Most custom dungeons come without it.

In case you run low on potions you can always head back to a healing crystal. Also don't try to tackle more monsters than your party can handle. Don't try to fight them head-on; this can't be successfull. Always try to find an area to evade/sidestep them.
Taem wrote:When I first started playing, LoG made my characters for me.
Here you err. LoG did not make characters. If one does not create own characters LoG's default party consisting of
- Contar Stoneskull (Human Male Fighter)
- Mork (Minotaur Male Fighter)
- Yennica Whitefeather (Human Female Rogue)
- Sancsaron (Human Male Mage)
will be used. This party is ready to roll but far from perfect or optimal.

About sling/bow/xbow being missile weapons: this is totally obvious because it's stated within the item description. Since you now put points into throwing instead of missle weapon make use of rocks, throwing knifes, shuriken and throwing axes.
Last edited by Dr.Disaster on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

steyrhahn

Post by steyrhahn » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:39 am

re: throwing skill. I'm currently leveling a party member with throwing skills and have found enough shuriken and throwing knives to make it worthwhile. There will be throwing axes later in the dungeon. Use the sling with rocks or bow/crossbow as a backup weapon.

re 2 spider room on level 3. if you're where I think you are then
SpoilerShow
you need to be quick, but when you first enter this room, there is a switch to hold the door open permanently on the wall to your right. Hit the switch fast and get out to a better fighting position before the spiders attack.
SpoilerShow
There also should have been a serpent bracer to give +50 poison resist which you can find down one in one of the pits before getting this far.

Taem

Post by Taem » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:42 pm

@Dr.Disaster
RE: Hotkeys

Alright, then I'll just have to figure out how to do without hotkeys. I'm sure enough people have played this game without them and did just fine, so I'll figure it out then.

@Dr.Disaster & steyrhahn
RE: Monsters

Yes, it's like old DM except I can't use doors as weapons. I'm slowly developing strategies that help me survive. Best method I've found so far with spiders is to attack them from a distance until they get close, take a few melee swings then run back far enough for your next-delay to refresh so you can swing again that way you aren't getting struck foolishly while waiting for your next attack. The room I was talking about took me several retries and a bit of luck to blow through, but I ended up having to use some potions I had found on the floor. I was hoping to save them for harder guys but bleh.

@Dr.Disaster
RE: Missile Weapons

Indeed. That is the party I started with. As to it being obvious, yes it is now, but at the time I was using rocks to throw, and everyone who's ever used a real-life sling knows, you whirl it around your head and "throw" it. The one-foot leather strap extension you release it from I suppose might quantify it as a missile weapon, but that never crossed my mind. I though of missile weapons as short bows, long bows, composite bows, crossbows, blow guns, sling shot (not the same as a sling) and even revolvers. I think of thrown weapons as darts, hatchets, throwing axes, shurikens, javelins, slings, bolas, chakrams, boomerangs, throwing knives, and even rocks I suppose. So the fault is mine for not looking at the item qualities and I "assumed" the sling would only serve to add damage to the throwing skill and damage of a rock.

So far, I have two-ninja stars and three throwing knives she is using, and 9-rocks as backup when those are gone. I guess I'll stick with that. I'm even sadder that I learned an enchant fire arrow spell and it's useless to me. That spell should really work on all missile weapons, not just arrows... :sad face:

@steyrhahn
RE: Serpent Bracer

Yes, I found it while falling into the pits numerous times trying to figure out the telporter puzzle, but I still got killed repeatedly by those darn spiders, lol. It's alright, trying different strategies is helping tremendously.

Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:00 am

Taem wrote:@Dr.Disaster
RE: Hotkeys

Alright, then I'll just have to figure out how to do without hotkeys. I'm sure enough people have played this game without them and did just fine, so I'll figure it out then.
What i do: all my char's have their potions on the lower left hand side of their inventory. Each has at least 1 healing and 1 anti-venom potion with fighters and melee rogues adding 1 speed/rage combo and mages 1+ energy as my number of flasks permits. Now in case one needs a potion all i have to do is hit the char's number to bring it's inventory up, then a small move with the mouse towards the needed potion followed by a right-click and that's it.

Yet being able to evade attacks reduces the need for potions dramatically (see below)
Taem wrote:@Dr.Disaster & steyrhahn
RE: Monsters

Yes, it's like old DM except I can't use doors as weapons. I'm slowly developing strategies that help me survive. Best method I've found so far with spiders is to attack them from a distance until they get close, take a few melee swings then run back far enough for your next-delay to refresh so you can swing again that way you aren't getting struck foolishly while waiting for your next attack. The room I was talking about took me several retries and a bit of luck to blow through, but I ended up having to use some potions I had found on the floor. I was hoping to save them for harder guys but bleh.
Well you can't use doors as a weapon but you can use them as blockers: open up, let all swing/shoot/cast and close again. When timed right the monster on the other side is not able to strike back between open and close.

Yet i suggest to train the classic 2x2 spot combat sidestep with a slow monster like a snail or a herder so you get used to it. Don't attack it, just sidestep and try to get behind it. Once you can do this you only need to train how to keep up with faster monsters like spiders.
Taem wrote:@Dr.Disaster
RE: Missile Weapons

Indeed. That is the party I started with. As to it being obvious, yes it is now, but at the time I was using rocks to throw, and everyone who's ever used a real-life sling knows, you whirl it around your head and "throw" it. The one-foot leather strap extension you release it from I suppose might quantify it as a missile weapon, but that never crossed my mind. I though of missile weapons as short bows, long bows, composite bows, crossbows, blow guns, sling shot (not the same as a sling) and even revolvers. I think of thrown weapons as darts, hatchets, throwing axes, shurikens, javelins, slings, bolas, chakrams, boomerangs, throwing knives, and even rocks I suppose. So the fault is mine for not looking at the item qualities and I "assumed" the sling would only serve to add damage to the throwing skill and damage of a rock.

So far, I have two-ninja stars and three throwing knives she is using, and 9-rocks as backup when those are gone. I guess I'll stick with that. I'm even sadder that I learned an enchant fire arrow spell and it's useless to me. That spell should really work on all missile weapons, not just arrows... :sad face:
Don't worry, you'll find more throwing weapons along the way than your one rogue has hands for using them ;)

Also don't think of learning the Enchant Fire Arrow spell as a waste. It's more a pass-by-spell on your way to the Fireball spell.
Last edited by Dr.Disaster on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.