Steam Cloud Saves?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
borgy95

Steam Cloud Saves?

Post by borgy95 »

Hi

I've just about clocked my first 5 hours of grimrock and yeh this is gonna be a stormer of a game, Great stuff! BUT! here is my connundrum i am often between my desktop and laptop is there a way to sync my save via steam or am i gonna have to manually copy them across (ya know old school style :))
steyrhahn

Re: Steam Cloud Saves?

Post by steyrhahn »

AS far as I know 'Old School'. I'd probably just email the last save file to myself. Or maybe use a USB key.

You could set up a network share for the save files, but I'm very leery of network shares on the public internet. There's too much hacking and piracy going on. If you're only going to do this behind a router firewall, then a share is ok.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

LoG does not use Steam's Cloud Save. Actually it does not wonder with 102 save games slots and each being able to be half a megabyte or more in size (depends on the map played).

So you need to copy the save game files manually by network, USB stick or other means.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

If you use Dropbox, you can setup a 'Save Games' folder in your dropbox, copy the files from the Almost Human directory into Dropbox and then create a symlink (I think they are called 'Hardlinks' in Windows?) from the Almost Human directory to your dropbox.

Sounds complicated, but it's pretty easy to setup with a little tool. It basically means your data lives in Dropbox and you create a 'pointer' at the OS level from where the game thinks files are saved to Dropbox. The game doesn't know the files aren't where they should be, but as they are really in Dropbox - you essentially get cloud saves via Dropbox.

If you want steps for setting this up, let me know.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
borgy95

Post by borgy95 »

JohnWordsworth wrote:If you use Dropbox, you can setup a 'Save Games' folder in your dropbox, copy the files from the Almost Human directory into Dropbox and then create a symlink (I think they are called 'Hardlinks' in Windows?) from the Almost Human directory to your dropbox.

Sounds complicated, but it's pretty easy to setup with a little tool. It basically means your data lives in Dropbox and you create a 'pointer' at the OS level from where the game thinks files are saved to Dropbox. The game doesn't know the files aren't where they should be, but as they are really in Dropbox - you essentially get cloud saves via Dropbox.

If you want steps for setting this up, let me know.

Thats a damn good idea... I get the theory i'm familiar with the symlinks from unix, just not done it in windows before. But thats why we have google.

Got to level 4 now, I'm hooked and see nights disappearing to this game!
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Do a search for 'Hard Link Shell Extension', makes setting up hard links and junctions really easy with a right click menu. Saves the faff of hitting up the cmd line. Using this tool, I have a bunch of game saves in Dropbox. Although, a lot more use steam nowadays so it's less useful than it used to be.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.