Any way to disable light flicker?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
JusticeZero

Any way to disable light flicker?

Post by JusticeZero »

Game looks fun, but the flickering effect from the torch is a migraine trigger for me. Is there any way to make the lights steady?
Dr.Disaster

Re: Any way to disable light flicker?

Post by Dr.Disaster »

The torch's light flicker is intended so i don't think there is a way to "disable" it.

Yet i'm not sure that it's the flicker causing you this trouble. Back in the days of the first shooter games your problem was common and it was caused by running low display refresh rates or systems not capable of good frame rates. Make sure your display is set to refresh at a rate of 60 frames (or 75 if it's still a CRT screen) and that VSYNC is activated within LoG's options.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Does the orb or light spell flicker...?
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
JusticeZero

Post by JusticeZero »

It isn't "flickering" specifically, it's the exposure to shifting and moving light levels. The torchlight "dances", which is where the problem is. This is similar to the issue CoH caused with the "Pain rings" debacle; the problem visual effects were moving hazy grey rings that drifted around characters, which ended up being a perfect storm of triggers for people with migraines. The same issue with moving areas of light level exists here. A disco ball with only white lights, oncoming traffic at night, or rapidly moving through areas where the sun is partly blocked by trees is also hell on earth for the same reason.
Limak

Post by Limak »

Well. I have same problem, and it seems, that it can;t be resolved. It is shame, because I won't be able to play this game and I have to confess I won't buy other games created by this developer - I spent money on product, that I am not able to use and wasn't informed it might be the case.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

A quick & dirty fix, if you're desperate to stop the shadows [in Grimrock 2 that is] is to open the console and paste in the following:

Code: Select all

party:removeComponent("torch") 

party:createComponent("Light", "static")

party.static:setBrightness(4)

party.static:setColor(vec(1.2,0.8, 0.6)) 

party.static:setDirection(vec(0,-0.06, 0.99)) 

party.static:setOffset(vec(-0.3, 1.8, 1))
This will cause a constant light with no dynamic shadows from carried torches.
(This also means that you will never be in the dark.)

I experimented for a while, trying to implement a console-script that mimics the torch's effect on the party light. There should be a way to check for equipped torches, and change the brightness of the 'static' light component, but I haven't been able to manage it yet. If anyone else knows a working method, please post it; until it does that, this solution is just a kludge.

Alternatively, (if it's not hard coded), change the animating offset of the party's light component.

**To undo this effect in your game, paste the following into the console:

party:removeComponent("static")
party:createComponent("Light", "torch")
Last edited by Isaac on Fri May 08, 2015 3:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Isaac wrote:A quick & dirty fix, if you're desperate to stop the shadows is to open the console and paste in the following:

party:removeComponent("torch") 

party:createComponent("Light", "static")

party.static:setBrightness(4)

party.static:setColor(vec(1.2,0.8, 0.6)) 

party.static:setDirection(vec(0,-0.06, 0.99)) 

party.static:setOffset(vec(-0.3, 1.8, 1))
This will cause a constant light with no dynamic shadows from carried torches.
(This also means that you will never be in the dark.)

I experimented for a while, trying to implement a console-script that mimics the torch's effect on the party light. There should be a way to check for equipped torches, and change the brightness of the 'static' light component, but I haven't been able to manage it yet. If anyone else knows a working method, please post it; my current solution is a kludge is every respect.

**To undo this effect in your game, paste the following into the console:

party:removeComponent("static")
party:createComponent("Light", "torch")
This is the Grimrock 1 forum. You cannot do this in Grimrock 1. The only way to prevent the flickering and dancing in Grimrock 1 is for the party to use no light source at all (the effect is the same for both torches and the light spell; the dancing only stops when you have no light source).
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

minmay wrote:This is the Grimrock 1 forum. You cannot do this in Grimrock 1. The only way to prevent the flickering and dancing in Grimrock 1 is for the party to use no light source at all (the effect is the same for both torches and the light spell; the dancing only stops when you have no light source).
Yep... The new post page gets me every time; I never notice the difference.

It would help if there were [vastly ;) ] different themes for these forums.
Komag wrote:Does the orb or light spell flicker...?
It does still move around a lot.
Limak

Post by Limak »

Hi

Thank you for prompt assistance and help.

It saddened me little bit, that I wouldn't be able to play this game. Good, old memories of "Eye of Beholder 2" won't be refreshed.

regards