Steam Now On Linux, How About Grimrock?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
thomson

Re: Steam Now On Linux, How About Grimrock?

Post by thomson »

FreeBooteR69 wrote:Grimrock is on Steam. All they need do is add the linux version.
No. What they need to do is to develop Steam support on Linux, so they would get steam-enabled linux version. Once they have that they can upload it to steam.

If you just stuffed current linux binary to Steam, you'd get a version from Steam that does not support Steam (not shift-tab menu for example). I guess (I haven't checked) is that some of the Steam rules require any game uploaded to Steam to have at least basic Steam features support. Currently Grimrock linux version lacks that and adding it requires non-trivial development time.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
Saurbaum

Post by Saurbaum »

Actually the steam overlay doesn't even require any code changes to the running application (unless it's different on Linux) you can add non steam applications to it and it will work with shift-tab no matter what, I accudently added Chrome yesterday and found I could access it.

That said considering the big feature of the steam build is workshop integration that would need to be compiled into it and I can't vouch for how much work it is. Personal experience of anything that looks simple in coding says it isn't.
Footissimo

Post by Footissimo »

Just a +1 for Steam Linux support...or at least just a word from the devs about it! =/
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

I am afraid will they may respond, they are deep in grimrock 2 right now. I suspect they get (and want to be) very absorbed and have a hard time doing everything. Right now there are three (or four?) active threads asking for other versions. Make no mistake, I know this isn't a whole other version, they already made it on linux. But there are a lot of people asking for more grimrock 1. However their response to all the demand is to dive right into grimrock 2.

While one said that they have no objection to money(or something like that), if 1 sold 600,000 copies. Adding it to other platforms could expand that a fair amount, adding it to steam linux could be easier but add far fewer sales. However making 2 could easily sell more than 1 did already, something merely diversifying ones options could not do by now. It is only multipied if they offer 2 on more platforms/steam outlets.
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
xeyos

Post by xeyos »

Im another grimrock+steam+linux user. Just registered here to ask you for the linux version of the game to join steam!
Cant understand why, while you managed to create a linux version, you're not supporting the community on thhis big opportunity steam is bringing us :(
devosion

Post by devosion »

Just dropping in to drop my support to see a linux version of Legend Grimrock available on steam, or at the very least the option to download a linux version. Right now my windows box is on hiatus due to a failed hard drive and I wish I could get into some LoG on linux. I'd even settle for a windows executable so I can run it via wine.
Larkuo

Post by Larkuo »

I too would love to see grimrock on stream linux. I missed the humble bundle and my laptop is linux and I so badly want to play this on the go!
I guess since it has workshop support the file structure changes for linux holds it back from a steam release. Still hope to see it soon or find a way to play it on my laptop :(
arvenil

Post by arvenil »

There is about 60 comments in one thread on steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/207170/di ... 517568900/

+1 from me too
dulbirakan

Post by dulbirakan »

Count me in on this too...
theli

Post by theli »

thomson wrote:shift-tab menu for example
that one is added automagically LD_PRELOADing/injecting the overlay shared object.

ontopic: +1 to Linux version, really awkward buying it for having Linux version and for Steam key and not being able to play on SteamLinux