Mac Public Beta in Steam

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
vidarfreyr

Re: Mac Public Beta in Steam

Post by vidarfreyr »

antti wrote: I added a fresh batch of keys on the first post.
I took: V3VFK-95WZ0-HWVH0

will report no later than tomorrow.
fretnoize

Post by fretnoize »

Are you planning on supporting 2880x1800 resolution for mac book pros?
The highest option for me was 1680x1050
thomson

Post by thomson »

petri wrote:@thomson: Thank you for the information! I've identified the issue. This should be fixed for the next beta version.
Great!
SpoilerShow
Bug #3 (not really mac related): I've tried playing in Toorum mode and moved Toorum to the back row. When I try to use melee weapon, I get "can't reach" even though there is noone in front of him.
Another odd thing I've noticed is that one snail dropped two snail slices when I killed him. Not necessarily a bug, just something that never happened to me before.

You mentioned that you'd like to hear about positive experience as well, so here it goes:

I have copied savegames from windows version and they are working properly.

I killed the cube and finished the game. Works properly.

Dungeon editor and export to main game works, but I tested it only briefly.

On a related note, it is somewhat awkward to play on a standard mac laptop, because it has only left mouse button. You can simulate it with two finger tap or ctrl+tap, but both are awkward to use. I need a mouse for my laptop. But I suppose that's a bug report that should go to Apple, rather than you, guys :)

One thing that I was not able to test are achievements. I've unlocked all of them ages ago.

I've tried number of resolutions/full screen/windows/borderless with high, medium and low graphics, with v-sync enabled and disabled. Everything seems to work properly.

When turning off all lights (e.g. hiding the only torch in a backpack) the screen seems very dark at the first moment. I gets better in a moment (BTW the way you code that gradual adjustment to darkness is brilliant), but it still feels darker than before. I suppose that's a difference between my desktop LCD (HP LP2475w with IPS and decent color profile) and laptop display, so nothing to worry about.

One nice thing I've discovered during my testing is that when a female character is in front row and is hit, she screams differently. I'm not sure if that is a latest addition, but I did not notice it before. Perhaps it's because of using built-in laptop speakers vs. desktop/headphones. Anyway, I liked it a lot. I think this was the first time I let the lady to be hit in her face. Shame on me! :)

No crashes (except the one with custom dungeons that Petri confirmed), no visual corruptions, no slowdowns or other issues. In general, this is a very solid experience.

I will test it more over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

p.s.
Is the new GUI code included in this build? If it is, I can't seem to make it work.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

thomson wrote:
SpoilerShow
Bug #3 (not really mac related): I've tried playing in Toorum mode and moved Toorum to the back row. When I try to use melee weapon, I get "can't reach" even though there is noone in front of him.
That's not a bug, it's design. To be able to hit with a melee attack a character needs to be in the front row
OmegaESP

Post by OmegaESP »

Now I've played a few hours more, this is what I could find so far:

- I can confirm that the game crashes when trying to play some custom dungeons (i.e., Tomb of Zarthos) as thomson said (I'm glad to read that you guys have identified and fixed the issue :D )

- It runs perfectly on my 2008 iMac. I've played it about 120 minutes and I couldn't find any remarkable bugs.

- It's fully playable with Apple's Magic Mouse but I'm having problems with the Magic Trackpad of the MBP. "Right click" (tapping with two fingers) doesn't work but I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I should configure it elsewhere. Other games and applications don't have any problems with the right click feature of the magic trackpad.
Vongolu

Post by Vongolu »

Hello
Seems to work properly on Mac Pro 3.1, 10.8.2, nVidia 8800 GT with max settings.
Apart from the custom dungeon problem, the only thing I found odd is that when you start a new game the previous autosave is overwritten.
It's a problem if you don't know it and you start a new custom dungeon game with a standard dungeon autosave already created (yes, I lost my progression ;) )
antti

Post by antti »

Thanks for the reports everyone! I added another batch of keys to the first post.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
clocknova

Post by clocknova »

Just used the second to the last key. No problem downloading and installing. Launched the game and moved about a bit; tried some different graphics settings. Running it on a 2008 MBP; runs about as well as I expected with all settings maxed. I was also pleased to find that the game can be launched on its own without Steam, which is how I will play the game. Thanks. I'll do a run through the first few levels when I have some time later.
Youmex

Post by Youmex »

Hi,
the game runs stable under
Os X 10.6.8 / 2,4 Intel Core 2 Duo / 4 GB
Settings: Default

I played the normal campaign for about 1,5 hours and I am now at the second stone.
I got 1 crash during level change - but after loading i didnt happen again.
A great game I like it :) Keep up the good work.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Can't believe I missed this thread for the last 3 days! I need to get outside of the Mod forums more often. :p Great to see Grimrock enter Beta - hope it all goes swimmingly.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.