Grimrock Mac OS X wrapper by Porting Team

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
kyubajin

Re: Want to pre-order, Mac user

Post by kyubajin »

Thanks a lot Mar-x, I tried your method and since I have an ATI card it didn't work. However this WINE thread pointed me to the magnificent Porting Team wrapper which has everything configured already and I only had to install the game using it :)
no gods or kings only man
Darklord

Re: Grimrock Mac OS X wrapper by Porting Team

Post by Darklord »

Now that is handy! :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
julusp

Post by julusp »

Hello folks.

Let me point some information about the portingteam wrapper (my creation :P )

ATI Radeon 6750M, 6970M, and INTEL HD is currently confirmed to work, even old Nvidia 9400M is working after setting all to low and lowering resolution.

1) Its based on Wine 1.3.32 (1.3.37 and later was not working with ATI, and this version is proven one)
2) It has already DirectX and VCredist preinstalled - just install and play
3) There are reported some issues with it, specificaly black screen on some ATI cards (4870, 2600M)

If someone has this issue, and has deeper knowledge of wineskin, please set debug flags to err+all,fixme+all and send me the output of both logs.

You can PM me here, or on portingteam.com (named julus there)
kyubajin

Post by kyubajin »

Once again, infinite thanks for your work julusp! I posted your wrapper on NeoGAF and many have attested of its usefulness already, you rock!
no gods or kings only man
lowzei

Post by lowzei »

It works fine for some minutes until the framrates drop significantly by factor x and the system needs a complete reboot to regain full speed, restarting the game isn't sufficient. Happening on a Mac Book Pro with a GT330M 256MB GPU RAM, 4GB RAM, >2.5GHz i5, latest Snow Leopard. Same thing happens if you setup everything with the latest Wineskin on your own.
julusp

Post by julusp »

lowzei wrote:It works fine for some minutes until the framrates drop significantly by factor x and the system needs a complete reboot to regain full speed, restarting the game isn't sufficient. Happening on a Mac Book Pro with a GT330M 256MB GPU RAM, 4GB RAM, >2.5GHz i5, latest Snow Leopard. Same thing happens if you setup everything with the latest Wineskin on your own.
I am using Lion, so cant tell, people often to forget to post me detials on what system it fails. Anyway, i was playing 2 hours straight and no slowdowns or crashes (Macbook Early 2011, Radeon 6750M, 8GB ram, OS 10.7.3)

Anyway the slowdown of whole system is not normal. if you will be restaring the system next time because of the slowdown, try to enter this command int terminal before reboot: sysctl vm.swapusage = it will look like this:

Cerberus:~ julus$ sysctl vm.swapusage
vm.swapusage: total = 1024.00M used = 521.86M free = 502.14M (encrypted)

If you see the used space in size of gigabytes, then there is possibility of massive memory leak.If so, let me know, then i will try to analyze if this is caused by my wrapper (then i will fix that), or by the game .
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

lowzei wrote:It works fine for some minutes until the framrates drop significantly by factor x and the system needs a complete reboot to regain full speed, restarting the game isn't sufficient. Happening on a Mac Book Pro with a GT330M 256MB GPU RAM, 4GB RAM, >2.5GHz i5, latest Snow Leopard. Same thing happens if you setup everything with the latest Wineskin on your own.
Do you have Vsync or Triple buffering on?
lowzei

Post by lowzei »

It doesn't slow down OS X but the game in a way that restarting the game isn't sufficient and it needs a reboot to get it started in a reasonable way again. I also experienced the issue without triple buffering (didn't notice that triple buffering is supported) and without vsync. Lowering the gfx options like settting texture res to low and so on didn't have any impact on the behaviour.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

lowzei wrote:It doesn't slow down OS X but the game in a way that restarting the game isn't sufficient and it needs a reboot to get it started in a reasonable way again. I also experienced the issue without triple buffering (didn't notice that triple buffering is supported) and without vsync. Lowering the gfx options like settting texture res to low and so on didn't have any impact on the behaviour.
I mention those because without them on, the game tends to lock up my system. And for other people it overheats their GPU's, which could potentially be hitting you as well. But I guess it isn't the problem this time.
lowzei

Post by lowzei »

Hmm, i can overheat the GPU if i want to by writing appropriate tortue shader code until OS X (Snow Leopard) starts to show some glitches or locks up completely and needs a hard reset. So far i've never experienced heat problems which slow down an app/game but i also don't know if some update in OS X deals with thermal issues this way.