Grimrock Mac OS X wrapper by Porting Team

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
clocknova

Re: Want to pre-order, Mac user

Post by clocknova »

Having some trouble getting it running in Wineskin at the moment. Seem to be DirectX related.

EDIT:
Forgot to install VCRedist. Running quite well in Wineskin on my 2008 Macbook Pro with all settings maxed.
ilovemondays

Post by ilovemondays »

I got it running on my macbook 13'' mid 2010 with wine too 8-) Don't forget to install the MS Visual C++, like clocknova wrote ;)
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Wine (1.5.1) was misbehaving for me (black graphics, blue torches), so I'm running it in Parallels, runs very smoothly.
kyubajin

Post by kyubajin »

ilovemondays wrote:I got it running on my macbook 13'' mid 2010 with wine too 8-) Don't forget to install the MS Visual C++, like clocknova wrote ;)
Could you please please please post a step by step tutorial on how to do the whole Wine thing??? I'm DYING to play the game but I've never done any of this Wine stuff!!!
no gods or kings only man
ilovemondays

Post by ilovemondays »

Hi Kyubajin,

i got it running with crossOver, it uses wine but it's much easier to use. But on the other hand it's not for free. There is a 14 day trial version you could use: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

When installed, you just click the .exe files and the installation should start.First install the vcredist_x86.exe, then the direct x thing (i'm not sure if really needed...?) and finally the grimrock "install.exe".

After that you'll find the game exe in something like that:
/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/vcredist_x86.exe/drive_c/grimrock.exe

Just click it and hopefully start the game :)

So you could use crossOver the next 2 weeks, until a good tutorial for wine is out there ;)
kyubajin

Post by kyubajin »

Thank you SO much ilovemondays, I know I'm rather bothersome with my constant Mac port begging and I really appreciate that you took the time to help me :) It's 3:22 am here in Spain so I'll be happy to try out this tomorrow after school. Much appreciated once again!

PS: Comander Keen was one of the first games I ever played, love it to bits!
no gods or kings only man
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

I can report the game runs beautifully using Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro. Amazing experience so far (2 hours in).
Mar-x

Post by Mar-x »

So I now have LoG running flawlessly on my "late '10" 11" MacAIR. Im using Wineskin 1.5.1 and its impossible to notice the difference between this and my wife's i7 mega beast PC. Im running textures on high.. even though the install detected MID and not noticed any slowdown other than the first few seconds of play as the textures loaded. I have no issues graphically 2 hours in.

Here's what I did.

First download the free wineskin app from http://wineskin.doh123.com/tiki-index.p ... =Downloads

once installed click update to get the 'Wineskin-2.5.4' wrapper and click the '+' and download 'WS8Wine1.5.1'

next create a new blank wrapper and call it Legend of Grimrock

it will want to install the gecko package .. i let it.

once done click 'view in folder'

double click Legend of Grimrock. then click 'install windows software' ... first is to install the install.exe in the main downloaded folder. once done then click install windows software again to install the vcredist_x86.exe in the vcredist folder and then again to install the DXSETUP.exe in the DirectX folder.

Lastly click advanced and choose 'override' wine control pf screen then make sure you have 'fullscreen' selected and unselect 'decorate windows'

then its done.. I copied the icon over via 'get info' dragged it to my dash and been playing tight up till I remembered I would post what happened..

enough with the typing.. time to play some LoG.

I dont espouse to being any kind of wine expert (well I live in Margaret River Western Australia where the best wine in the world is made) but Im happy to help where I can if anyone gets stuck.

happy gaming
littlejediowen

Post by littlejediowen »

Ahh, Mac and Linux users, like fun little children
Mar-x

Post by Mar-x »

littlejediowen wrote:Ahh, Mac and Linux users, like fun little children
Yes yes. Considering I played dungeon master and EoB on the Amiga 500, even though I am certainly no child.. LoG has brought back some of my childhood for me OS be damned.