Vendors

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
DJK

Vendors

Post by DJK »

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before... does LoG sport vendors ? A place to sell unwanted items for some rewards ? I believe there is no form of currency in the game, so missing that, it would need to be in exhange of other goods/food/potions etc ...

Failing that, is there a place you can "dump" unwanted stuff without littering your dungen ? I recently re-played (for the 15th time or so) Eye 1 and my goal this run was to get every item ingame obtainable and have NOTHING touch the ground :) Needless to say this caused a LOT of save/reloading on the latter levels as the drow drop swords, the kenku staffs... the mantis daggers etc... so had to do a battle, if it dropped something, reload etc :)

But I managed it!
Crashbanito

Re: Vendors

Post by Crashbanito »

You can leave your stuff in the various holes in the walls.
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

There aren't any vendors in the game.
Ihmemies

Post by Ihmemies »

This game is pretty basic. A few monsters, one dungeon, not much of a plot, no dialogue etc. Hopefully someone will make a game like Lands of Lore one day. That had everything including vendors, spoken dialogue, cutscenes, lots of places to explore and so on :)
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

I understand what you're saying- but sometimes having a minimalistic approach can be better, especially for this sort of a game setting.
I mean, would YOU open up shop in a god forsaken, demon haunted mountain dungeon? :D
nianu

Post by nianu »

Jack Dandy wrote:I understand what you're saying- but sometimes having a minimalistic approach can be better, especially for this sort of a game setting.
I mean, would YOU open up shop in a god forsaken, demon haunted mountain dungeon? :D
phantasy star online springs to mind haha
ᶘ╯ᵒᴥᵒᶅ╯︵ ┻━┻
ozmiz

Post by ozmiz »

Could be a future implementation perhaps?? For example, a summoned merchant spell/device that some previous denizen dropped.
LoG Survivor!!
Surviving Party: Mino - Fighter, Liz - Rogue, Insect - Mage, Human - Rogue
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Those crazy Japanese game vendors are hardcore.

Especially that dude from Resident Evil 4, who could apparently teleport anywhere he'd like... :shock:

EDIT: Anyway, I don't think vendors would do well to this sort of a setting- the entire "Resources are finite, you have to make do with what's available" approach is refreshing and even essential to this specific sort of game.
Last edited by Jack Dandy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

If you could trade with the inhabitants of the enemy's fortress/dungeon in Steve Jackson's gamebooks, I don't see why you couldn't in Grimrock. It's not an issue that there is no shop, it just might be cool if it's implemented in a mod or future DLC.
petri

Post by petri »

Ihmemies wrote:This game is pretty basic. A few monsters, one dungeon, not much of a plot, no dialogue etc. Hopefully someone will make a game like Lands of Lore one day. That had everything including vendors, spoken dialogue, cutscenes, lots of places to explore and so on :)
This is not the kind of game we had in mind when designing LoG. Sometimes what you leave out is as important as what goes in.