Manual Translations

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Arracht

Re: Manual Translations

Post by Arracht »

https://rapidshare.com/files/1728016194 ... rukcja.pdf

At long last - a Polish translation.
Sorry for the wait. Lots of stuff happened since I started.
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

Arracht wrote:https://rapidshare.com/files/1728016194 ... rukcja.pdf

At long last - a Polish translation.
Sorry for the wait. Lots of stuff happened since I started.
Good job sir! :-)
I've done some sort of proof-reading and I have found some words/expressions/sentences I would put otherwise. Nothing essential I suppose but if you'd like to see my comments here is pdf with them:
http://ge.tt/9R6KxdI/v/0

In very few cases I believe my proposal of translation sounds really better like "skrytobójcy uzbrojeni w zabójcze sztylety" instead of "niezwykle skuteczni posługujacy się sztyletami zabójcy" or "walki w zwarciu" instead of "walki na krótkie dystanse". But in most other cases it's probably only a matter of personal preference. Anyway, feel free to use any of my suggestions, or its part, if you find them more suitable.
Arracht

Post by Arracht »

Appreciate the criticism.
While I didn't hesitate as much in case of the story, I kept rather close to the original later on (read: lost interest/got lazy because manuals are boring by default ;)) and it shows.

I hope you didn't hold back or anything ;)
Gonna apply the suggestions asap.

Oh and I actually thought a lot about "crowern".
I considered other Corvidae as well but none seemed menacing enough. Fiddled with the idea of "corvern" which would keep the structure of the original while staying "international"... I ended up with the "safe" version because in general portmanteaus seem not to work in Polish (see Łoziński).

So, "krukowern" or "corwern"? (sorry, gonna drop "wrona" cause it sounds slightly ominous only in conjunction with "kruk" as in "rozdziobią nas kruki i wrony" - appreciate the alliteration though ;))

As for the translation rogue-łotrzyk - Baldur's Gate was the first game I played in Polish ;)

edit

I shouldn't argue, because I botched the job in several places but I'd like to defend some of my choices.

Assassins - this suggestion may sound better (although it's a bit too close to "zabójczy skrytobójcy" for my tastes) but it conveys slightly different meaning and doesn't really fit the paragraph - it's not the dagger that separates an assassin from a petty thief; the adjective originally describes the person and I feel it is important that it stays this way.

Outer Realms - too much Planescape for me ;) "Światy zewnętrzne" seem to fit better with fantasy; in my opinion such name suggests that the denizens of this fantasy world have some particular knowledge of these places (as opposed to random "different dimensions").

edit

https://rapidshare.com/files/2834289022 ... cja_v2.pdf

Sorry for the wait again. Busy schedule.
Here it is. Translation revised by Merethif :)
MrAtrion

Post by MrAtrion »

I have read only the story and it is a very good translation. Easy to read and the story is still interesting :)

I would change only the place of the words "a mniej jeszcze zapisano" into "a jeszcze mniej zapisano". The rest is great :)

Best regards
Tanno

Post by Tanno »

May I ask where can I translate it into Greek? ^^
wired

Post by wired »

In the first posting two German manuals by Michael_ZZ are linked: log_manual_de.pdf (37 pages) and log_intro_de.pdf (34 pages). On Fri Apr 13 Michael_ZZ posted that he has written a second manual (26 pages). But I can't finde these second manuel. :(

Can someone show me the right link??