Any plans for an expansion yet?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
pulpum

Re: Any plans for an expansion yet?

Post by pulpum »

random dungeons are boring, it's not the point of making grimrock a "rogue game". it's the ultimate dungeon crawl on computer. :twisted:
ad&d / ff / d&d
5hassay

Post by 5hassay »

Jirodyne wrote:...I don't believe that, but since it would be impossible to make a randomized dungeon in this game, with items, traps, puzzles, secrets and so on being random...
Oh so false! All that is most certainly doable, and not nearly impossible. Of course it would not be as organic as what there is currently, and so on, unless that is what you meant.
Thels

Post by Thels »

vince0018 wrote:When the map editor is released I'm not even going to touch it, I would much prefer to hit a button and just play.
The idea about the editor is not that you're going to make your own maps and then play them. It's that you either make maps for others to play, or play the maps that others have made.

Even if you're not going to touch the map editor, you can still download and play maps made by other users.

Random maps are nice and all for hack and slash, but you cannot randomly generate a puzzle.

Of course a lot of puzzles can be predefined, for the generator to use. Most of these puzzles could have random factors, so the basic idea is the same, but the execution is different. But you'll quickly have seen them all, and then they'll simply get repetitive.
ClawlessVictory

Post by ClawlessVictory »

Still no randomized dungeons? Still don't care :(

My brother made the mistake of buying this game when it first came out and he says he hasn't touched it since.

NOT interested in rolling the dice and playing user created dungeons.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Are you saying that randomly generated dungeons by the computer program are more likely to be higher quality than custom designed content by dedicated fans? I don't think so
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
ClawlessVictory

Post by ClawlessVictory »

Komag wrote:what the heck was the point of that post? Are you saying that randomly generated dungeons by the computer program are more likely to be higher quality than custom designed content by dedicated fans???
Your reading comprehension is very impressive. Hat's off to you, friend!

I've found that user-made maps are almost always of terrible quality. Randomized levels would effectively add a 'roguelike' mode to the game. That's what I'm looking for, not mods.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but I still play Dungeon Hack to this day. There are extremely few old games that I can say that about.
Soorg

Post by Soorg »

It's still wish transform into Roguelike game, and for Dungeon Hack I doubt much people continue play it but you.
Komag

Post by Komag »

My original words were too harsh, so I quickly edited the post, but it seems I was too late.

Anyway, I agree that a lot of user made dungeons are crap (though not "almost always"), but for me it's worth it for them to exist for the good ones that get made
Soorg

Post by Soorg »

Everybody that have played mods know that the Sturgeon law applies perfectly, 90% of anything is anything, ie 90% of something is pure crap, and that's true for mods. When the population interested is big it's different because there are selection processes that succeed highlight what's less bad or what's good. With small communities it's lost into the noise of friends and relationships that tend make you believe that any mod is pure gold.

The point is even a bad boring mod require a lot of time and expertise and some people too much concerned see only the effort not the real result.

There's nothing harsh in this, just basic observation, it's not about LoG mods because I haven't played any yet, it's in general.
Komag

Post by Komag »

so you have a theory. I have a theory - grimrock attracts more intelligent, older and more experienced, higher-quality modders than half-life2 or minecrap/ft, so the percentage of crap will be lower than usual in the gaming world. It's also just a theory. The truth is in the actual finished mods (not the "here is one level, I plan to make a giant 30 level dungeon, it will be AWESOME!!!" mods, we can all just skip those).