Textures.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Alaric

Textures.

Post by Alaric »

I'm not a graphics whore, and if I have to choose, I'd pick story and gameplay over graphics any day. That said... there is nothing wrong with liking good graphics either. :D This leads me to the question: are there any plans to provide a, perhaps optional, set of high resolution textures once the game is out?
Mameluk

Re: Textures.

Post by Mameluk »

Not a graphics whore either, but I think the textures are fine... more concerned about the lack of anti-aliasing. O_o
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

Mameluk wrote:Not a graphics whore either, but I think the textures are fine... more concerned about the lack of anti-aliasing. O_o
I think you can set custom (per application) anti-aliasing settings in the drivers. It's be nice to have as many graphical options as possible in the game, but if push comes to shove you can always ghetto rig it. Texture wise, though, the higher the screen resolution - the more noticeable it becomes, so I'm guessing they are quite good for lower to mid range. That's why the pack should be optional, since many players will not benefit from it at all.
juho

Post by juho »

I don't see any reason for upping the texture resolution. I'd rather spend my time making new content like wallsets and monsters.
Follow me on Twitter: @JuhoMakingStuff
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

Alaric wrote:
Mameluk wrote:Not a graphics whore either, but I think the textures are fine... more concerned about the lack of anti-aliasing. O_o
I think you can set custom (per application) anti-aliasing settings in the drivers. It's be nice to have as many graphical options as possible in the game, but if push comes to shove you can always ghetto rig it. Texture wise, though, the higher the screen resolution - the more noticeable it becomes, so I'm guessing they are quite good for lower to mid range. That's why the pack should be optional, since many players will not benefit from it at all.
Actually, I asked the guys about the anti-aliasing before. The game uses deferred lighting, which is a shading technique that doesn't natively support anti-aliasing, including the AA setting from the GPU drivers. They said nothing about multi- or supersampling, though, which is odd because I've seen games with DL that support AA, like StarCraft II and Deus Ex Human revolution. In LoG however, I get a black screen in the hardware test when driver AA is enabled. :(
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Gotta agree with Juho on that one. I'd rather have more content- I think the game looks great as it is.
Kvanttierkale

Post by Kvanttierkale »

Jack Dandy wrote:Gotta agree with Juho on that one. I'd rather have more content- I think the game looks great as it is.
I agree. The game really looks brilliant already. There's definitely no need for better graphics.
Botiquita

Post by Botiquita »

juho wrote:I don't see any reason for upping the texture resolution. I'd rather spend my time making new content like wallsets and monsters.
Totally agree. I would prefer lots of different wallsets too.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

All right, I guess that's a pretty definitive answer. Maybe, once you open the game to modders, they will add a fan-made texture pack at that time.
NewYears1978

Post by NewYears1978 »

Alaric wrote:All right, I guess that's a pretty definitive answer. Maybe, once you open the game to modders, they will add a fan-made texture pack at that time.
I had your back...I haven't seen the game to know how the textures will REALLY look (actual gameplay not video) but I'm always a fan of this. Especially this day and age where developers gimp the game for PC users (Skyrim comes to mind..among many other games)

Ah well, can't wait to play it and see :)