Which puzzle made you Facepalm? :D

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Snowmoon

Which puzzle made you Facepalm? :D

Post by Snowmoon »

As topic.
What is that one particular puzzle that you had thought was so difficult and after you checked the solution,
you facepalmed and went "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT DUH!!!"

For me, it was definitely the "Checkered Room" at Level 9. :D
When i first encountered it, i was just like..."Wait did i miss out on any hints on my way here? Did i miss out any Toorum paper notes?
I kept thinking that the tiles had to stepped on in a special sequence, and there is probably a hint written on a scroll that i did not obtain.

When i finally gave up and actually saw the solution, i literally facepalmed and shouted "STUPID! SO STUPID ME!!! LOL WTF!!!" :D
LiamKerrington

Re: Which puzzle made you Facepalm? :D

Post by LiamKerrington »

Hi there.

That's a very interesting topic. I am sorry that I cannot share any of those actually ...
I really need to think about it. The checkered room was obvious to me when I looked up the word in a dictionary.
I had some trouble with this corridor somehwere which was blocked with a teleporter you could deactivate for a few seconds with a button in the wall and you had to run through it very fast. I treid it several times and always did it wrong by turning 180° and then running. I looked it up on YouTube and then understood it: hit the button and run backwards ... Done.

The very last two riddles left me facepalming as well. The one in the crypt of the designers where you find this special rod to fight the boss. The first time I took the torch and the room went dark, and there the item was. The second time I played this room in my second play-through I took and and ... nothing happened. Reason: I had a light-spell active ... *epic facepalm* I checked it with an old save of my first play-through in order to realize what went wrong ...

And then the Boos ... I mean - hey, you really get told what you have to do, right? And I did not catch it. For hours I fought beasts of all kind and evaded this damn boss ... And I really, really did not do what was really, really obvious ... That's an "eipc facepalm deluxe", right?

All the best!
Liam
At the end of my first time with "the Legend of Grimrock" - played on default-party, hard, old-school mode:

My first time
Jirodyne

Post by Jirodyne »

For me, it was the first part in the 'Time and Tide' puzzle room on Floor 4. I saw the Teleporter and know I needed to throw something threw.... So I threw all my torches... and nothing happened... So I thought maybe need a special kinda item, like the no weapons allowed puzzle. So I threw my weapon... then armor... then potions. I finally looked it up and facepalmed hard cause I never thought to shoot an arrow into it.
Hacktor

Post by Hacktor »

I have to say i got a bit lost at "No weapons allowed" I actually dropped all my weapons on the floor then i thought they were too close to the door, so i ended up moving them farther away.
I had a lucky misclick that made me put a weapon into the alcove.

Face-palms ensued. :)
Jinxed

Post by Jinxed »

Checkered room for me.
Once I figured it out I was like...

athanatic_cube

Post by athanatic_cube »

SpoilerShow
Shooting the fire ball to access the portion of level 6 that has the Sword of Nex and the entrance to Fighter's Challenge eluded me for quite some time. And the damned thing was that I tried shooting a poison ball at it early on and then discarded spells for a long time. You should've seen my party running up and down the hallway with the demon face that shoots a continuous stream of fireballs, when activated, thinking that I had missed something over there. And I tried placing all manner of items into the alcove back in the room across from the single-shot demon face. And, placing torches in different configurations in the room and the adjoining "Mage's Entrance" room and dropping things down into the pit in that room. And, and.... Finally, I had solved ever other puzzle which I had access to on that level and only this one remained. After sleeping on it for another night, I finally got it and realized how close I was to it early in my attempts to solve it. Duh!

I didn't have much of problem with the Checkered Room, but will admit to first trying the "twice left she slithers..." dance in there before realizing that it wasn't going to work. Next, I checkered the pressure plates, but got the pattern reversed. After that, I tried the correct pattern and was through the gate.
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

Jirodyne wrote:For me, it was the first part in the 'Time and Tide' puzzle room on Floor 4. I saw the Teleporter and know I needed to throw something threw.... So I threw all my torches... and nothing happened... So I thought maybe need a special kinda item, like the no weapons allowed puzzle. So I threw my weapon... then armor... then potions. I finally looked it up and facepalmed hard cause I never thought to shoot an arrow into it.
That was the one that got me too, I didn't find another puzzle in the whole game harder than this one, even getting to all the hidden bits later on. It was a nightmare because I didn't get that throwing something by holding it up in the middle of the screen and clicking, is different from putting it in a character's hand and throwing it from the bottom right section - probably because I decided to play without conventional ranged/throwing weapons.
LiamKerrington

Post by LiamKerrington »

@nonono

Actually yes, I would believe you.
At the end of my first time with "the Legend of Grimrock" - played on default-party, hard, old-school mode:

My first time
goundalf

Post by goundalf »

I think everybody had trouble at in the checkered room and I must say that i sighed when I finally figured it out.
Jocurile onlien cu masini se pot juca pe jocurile us, dar daca totul este okay poti sa te joci si jocuri3d pe acelasi site
isamu

Post by isamu »

several