Frequently Asked Questions

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
badhabit

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by badhabit »

Hi, I have some (technical FAQ?) potential additions for the FAQ:
  • Help, "Invalid d3dx9_43.dll error" on startup, re-install of grimrock/DX didn't fix the problem. :(
    Reason: A buggy GOG installer which installs the wrong directx file into the LoG directory. This file shadows potentially the correct system installed one. (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2623)
    solution: reinstall directX9 (link to DX webinstaller / hint of using integrated DX installer in the GOG installer), rename/delete d3dx9_43.dll in the grimrock installation directory.
  • GPU overheating.
    Reason: For some systems with integrated or slow GPUs the vsync approach & the frameratelimit preset are ineffective in reducing the GPU temperature. This approaches only reducing the GPU temp if the computed FPS were really capped. This is not the case if the achieved FPS are constantly below 60 fps (vsync cap). (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2324&start=10#p26685)
    Solution: set the maxFrameRate in the grimrock.cfg to something significantly lower then the (very high) preset of 120fps, e.g. 30fps (below the vsync cap), consider lowering the resolution. (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1680&start=40#p28830) Check if the achieved FPS reach the defined limit e.g. 30fps. (see next question).
  • How LoG shows FPS?
    solution: enable the debug mode (small spoiler, shows coordinates too) (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2574&start=10#p26796)
  • Help, I misconfigured the resolution and now unable to set it back!(Option menu inaccessible) (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2620#p27164)
    solution: set directly the resolution back by editing the grimrock.cfg (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2620#p27166)
  • Help, got a LoG installer with version 1.x.x but read the most recent version is 1.y.y ? Did I installed the latest/right version? (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=754&start=340#p26749)
    Solution: These installers have a own versioning scheme, different from the scheme for the program itself. If you see on main screen of the game in the lower left corner the version 1.y.y everything is fine. The 1.0.2 is an internal GOG version number for LoG 1.3.1. GOG 1.0.1 was LoG 1.1.4. GOG 1.0.0 was LoG 1.1.3. GOG 1.02.15 full and patch 1.0.3.16 are LOG 1.36. (Sorry its confusing complain on GOG here)
  • Patches: http://grimrock.net/patch/grimrock_1_1_ ... _patch.exe http://grimrock.net/patch/grimrock_1_3_ ... _patch.exe http://grimrock.net/patch/grimrock_1_3_ ... _patch.exe
  • Will Grimrock run on my system/laptop? Use this old demo for a quick guess: http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/95753/ ... est-v1-0-4 . In general, 1024x768 is min. required resolution for fullscreen & windowed mode, recommended is fullscreen mode (windowed mode has some limitations). 2.1 OpenGL cards are required for Mac and Linux, Directx9 + shader 3.0 support for windows..
Dyonatha

Doubt - End of game - Everyone dies?

Post by Dyonatha »

Hi, sorry for this, i don't know if I am in the correct topic, but i have a doubt and i very crazy with this... ind the end of game... all die?? or they escape?? who know? :|
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

It was left up to player speculation.
The Legends of the Northern Realms project has a theory on it that we'll be touching on in the mod to come.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Komag

Post by Komag »

what? I thought there was no doubt that they all made it out just fine
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

See but there's the speculation now.

Entering spoiler territory:
SpoilerShow
In the last images you see them running for it, engulfed in light. Then the mountain explodes and a huge crater is left.
I have serious doubts that they all lived.
LotNR specific spoiler
SpoilerShow
In our rendition of the ending of LoG,
Mork dies by pushing the others out of the way.
Contar makes it out of the mountain, but dies from his wounds inflicted by the explosion.
Yennica is unconscious for a whole day.
Sancsaron was able to stay conscious. He looked after Yennica until she came to.
Looks like time in the mountain shackled to these people have changed Sancsaron the Wry.
Keep in mind that this is a fan interpretation, and not official lore.
Official word from AH is that they have little plans to use the main party of LoG 1
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Komag

Post by Komag »

I always figured
SpoilerShow
that the exact timing was just figurative, like in the movies when a train is coming to imminently crash the car, there is ALWAYS more time than they show, for suspense! So the heroes were running out the front door, and the mountain explodes, but there was enough time that they made it out of blast range. It's not like the ending movie was going to just sit there for another five minutes waiting for the party to literally run far enough in real-time, so the portraying of the explosion happening next just means it happened soon. It stinks too much for any of them to die, too dark for my tastes. No, they are all alive in a pub somewhere, enjoying the spoils of the dungeon and their new-found freedom :D
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Komag wrote:I always figured
SpoilerShow
that the exact timing was just figurative, like in the movies when a train is coming to imminently crash the car, there is ALWAYS more time than they show, for suspense! So the heroes were running out the front door, and the mountain explodes, but there was enough time that they made it out of blast range. It's not like the ending movie was going to just sit there for another five minutes waiting for the party to literally run far enough in real-time, so the portraying of the explosion happening next just means it happened soon. It stinks too much for any of them to die, too dark for my tastes. No, they are all alive in a pub somewhere, enjoying the spoils of the dungeon and their new-found freedom :D
My personal belief(aka "what happened to my party")
SpoilerShow
They came back with their energy weapons/badass magic artifacts and teach the king why it's a bad idea to throw heroes in a dungeon.
I admit it pushes the boundary of 'hero-ing', but hey justice is overrated. The man needs to taste a little vengeance. :twisted:
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
eastwind

Post by eastwind »

In the main post, the numbered list of questions without answers doesn't match the numbers below with answers, because there is an extra "1." at the beginning of the list with no question, making everything off by one.

While I'm here (and I admit I haven't searched the forum for this), I'm wondering how many levels are in the dungeon. I'm on my first playthrough, and am about to descend the stairs to level 3. I am just wondering how far through I am. I'm mapping it as I go, I figured there was no point in "saving" that old-skool mode for a playthrough where I'd already seen everything, so I'm going kinda slow.
Sutekh

Post by Sutekh »

Hello, and welcome!

There are 13 levels in Legend of Grimrock

1: Into the Dark
2: Old Tunnels
3: Pillars of Light
4: Archives
5: Hallways
6: Trapped
7: Ancient Chambers