I figured I'd make this topic to address some of the frequently asked questions that seem to be popping up based off the information that we have been given. Also this can be a great place to ask any questions you may have that are not listed. Keep in mind that I'm not in any way a member of the team, I just think it would be cool to have many of the questions and answers put in one place. As questions are answered they will be added to the list.
- What is Legend of Grimrock?
- Where can I purchase the game?
- How much does Legend of Grimrock cost?
- Are there any pre-order bonuses?
- What do I get if I pre-order directly from this site?
- What are the minimum and recommended system requirements?
- Is there a Mac/Linux/iOS/Android version?
- I have a problem, who do I contact?
- How long is this game?
- Is combat real time or turn based?
- Is there a quick save function?
- Is there a German/French/Korean/Mandarin/Swahili/Whatever TRANSLATION?
- Can I change my team portraits?
- Can I make my own maps?
- Can I mod/edit the game? Are the game files accessible in the game folder?
- Am I allowed to make videos of Legend of Grimrock and publish them on video hosting sites like YouTube?
- What is the maximum level?
- Am I able to use alternative ways, like numpad instead of mouse, to cast magic?
- Can I film and upload footage of the game for fun/profit?
- Black screen or distorted textures/fonts
- How do I use custom portraits?
- Timed puzzles seem to be impossible.
1. What is Legend of Grimrock?
Legend of Grimrock is a dungeon crawling role playing game with an oldschool heart but a modern execution. A group of prisoners are sentenced to certain death by exiling them to the secluded Mount Grimrock for vile crimes they may or may not have committed. Unbeknownst to their captivators, the mountain is riddled with ancient tunnels, dungeons and tombs built by crumbled civilizations long perished now. If they ever wish to see daylight again and reclaim their freedom the ragtag group of prisoners must form a team and descend through the mountain, level by level.
2. Where can I purchase the game?
Current distributors are directly from Almost Human, GOG.com, and Steam.
3. How much does Legend of Grimrock cost?
Retail price of the game is $14.99 but if you pre-order now, you get a 20% discount for $11.99. Price on Steam may vary.
4. Are there any pre-order bonuses?
If you pre-order now you get 20% off the retail price and early access to following goodies:
- A beautifully crafted game manual
- Legend of Grimrock world map
- Custom made grid paper to print out for all your mapping needs
- Grimrock theme music
- Art sheets illustrating foul creatures of Mount Grimrock
- Team photo
5. What do I get if I pre-order directly from this site?
You get a Steam activation code so that you can play Legend of Grimrock with Steam achievements and community features AND you get a standalone installer when the game launches. You can get the installer on April 11th from the download page link that is mailed to you when you made the pre-order, so make sure you hold on to the mail if you want to use the standalone version! By directly buying from us, you support the development of Legend of Grimrock and our future titles! You also get the pre-order bonus goodies pack.
6. What are the minimum and recommended system requirements?
OS: Windows XP Service Pack 3
CPU: Dual Core 2GHz Intel or 2.8GHz AMD
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or better (512MB graphics memory or more. Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported). Minimum supported resolutions 1280×720 and 1024×768.
Disk Space: 1GB
OS: Windows Vista or Windows 7
CPU: Quad Core 2.66GHz Intel or 3.2GHz AMD
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2900 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or better (512MB graphics memory or more. Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported)
Disk Space: 1GB
7. Is there a Mac/Linux/iOS/Android version?
Not at the moment but we will look into other platforms after the launch.'
8. I have a problem, who do I contact?
If you have a technical problem please take a look at our forums and see if your problem has been already solved. If you are having problems with your Steam or GOG.com purchases or access keys please contact their customer support for assistance. You can also always send an email to us at:
contact (AT) almosthumangames (DOT) com
9. How long is this game?
Most state that they get about 10-15 hours just plowing through.
10. Is combat real time or turn based?
Real time and grid-based.
11. Is there a quick save function?
Not at this time, but it might be added at some point.
12. Is there a German/French/Korean/Mandarin/Swahili/Whatever TRANSLATION?
The developers haven't mentioned of any plans to do any translations of the game. The focus, so far, has been to get the game released. The nature of the coding in the game, with font graphics and such, also makes translating much more difficult than just editing some text.
But there are numerous language fan-translations of the game manual HERE
13. Can I change my team portraits?
Not at this time, but the developers have stated it's high on their todo list.
14. Can I make my own maps?
Map editor seems to be the next big thing the team is working on.
15. Can I mod/edit the game? Are the game files accessible in the game folder?
No. Modding support does not exist yet, but it's likely coming eventually. Game files are protected and not accessible by any conventional methods, so you can't edit them.
16. Am I allowed to make videos of Legend of Grimrock and publish them on video hosting sites like YouTube?
Yes, absolutely. All visibility is good for the game. Just make sure to add spoiler tags to your video in case it shows important parts of the game, like solutions to puzzles and so forth.
17. What is the maximum level?
There is no maximum level, but skills cap at 50. Levels give you no merit after maxing out everything.
18. Am I able to use alternative ways, like numpad instead of mouse, to cast magic?
No, the whole UI scheme is designed in this way. There can be several spellcasting panels open at a time, so it's actually more convenient to do everything with a mouse.
19. Can I film and upload footage of the game for fun/profit?
You are free to film and upload footage you have take of the game to Youtube or any other video sharing site. The developers would prefer if you put some type of spoiler warning up if your video depicts a fair amount of content, especially late game footage. You are free to put ads up for Let's Plays, reviews, etc.
20. Black screen or distorted textures/fonts
Black screens occur when you have anti-aliasing forced, so make sure to turn that off in your graphics card settings.
Distorted textures and fonts can be a multitude of things, so setting your graphics settings to default should work.
On nVidia cards:
- From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under 3D Settings, select Manage 3D settings.
The Manage 3D Settings page appears.
Click the Global Settings tab.
The Global Settings tab allows you to assign global settings that will be applied to all 3D games.
If you have an NVIDIA Quadro product installed, then click the Global Presets list arrow and select one of the pre-installed global settings for workstation applications.
The Global Presets list does not appear for GeForce products.
In the Settings box, click the setting corresponding to the feature that you want to change, then from the drop-down list click the setting value that you want to use.
To restore the default global settings, click the Restore button on the bottom corner of the Global Settings tab.
To restore the default settings for a global preset (workstation products), select the global preset and then click the Restore button that is adjacent to the Global Presets list.
NOTE: Clicking the Restore Defaults link at the top of the page will restore all the defaults for the entire Manage 3D Settings page.
Click Apply when done.
On ATI/AMD cards:
- Go into Catalyst Control Center.
Select the Gaming tab and then select 3D Application Settings.
Select the Defaults button and hit Apply.
21. How do I use custom portraits?
The custom portraits follow the dimensions 128x128 and are .tga files.
You drop them in:
C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock\Portraits
From there you just start a new game and import them in.
22. Timed puzzles seem to be impossible.
Darklord has made a separate thread to aid you with this issue. It can be found here.