Reluctantly have to quit this game at Level 4

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Bily

Reluctantly have to quit this game at Level 4

Post by Bily »

I just do not have the reflexes to get past this level. Can't do all the twists and turns fast enough to get the Gate Key. Sigh.
I'm a 70 year old female and have been playing PC,Apple, and Commodore 64 games for 30 years; do I have to quit buying games now because of my lack of fast twitch reflexes??
I guess the answer is yes and no. I am able to play every game and complete it because of trainers and cheat codes on the Internet but none seem to be available for this game.
Farewell to Grimrock for me. Too bad, it's the kind of game I love to play. :( :(
stepsongrapes

Re: Reluctantly have to quit this game at Level 4

Post by stepsongrapes »

Bily wrote:I just do not have the reflexes to get past this level. Can't do all the twists and turns fast enough to get the Gate Key. Sigh.
I'm a 70 year old female and have been playing PC,Apple, and Commodore 64 games for 30 years; do I have to quit buying games now because of my lack of fast twitch reflexes??
I guess the answer is yes and no. I am able to play every game and complete it because of trainers and cheat codes on the Internet but none seem to be available for this game.
Farewell to Grimrock for me. Too bad, it's the kind of game I love to play. :( :(
I think you just need to play different types of games (e.g., full turnbased RPGs or strategy games). Grimrlock is a old-school, but it is a mix of RPG, puzzle, and arcade game elements. There are a lot of games out there that have zero arcade elements. I think the arcade elements of Grimrock are giving many people trouble, judging by the threads on this forum.
Draken

Post by Draken »

I do believe there is a "slow-down" mod somewhere in this forums... you'll be able for find better help for this kind of trouble on this thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2055
Encephalon

Post by Encephalon »

Bily wrote:I just do not have the reflexes to get past this level. Can't do all the twists and turns fast enough to get the Gate Key. Sigh.
You wouldn't happen to have children or grandchildren who could help you with the timed puzzle? And if the timed puzzle was difficult for you there are puzzles later that require even quicker responses to solve.
You know you're screwed when the light at the end of the hallway is an onrushing ogre wielding a torch.
PSY

Post by PSY »

Send me a PM if you want me to get the Gate Key for you. I'll use your savegame and send it back to you.

PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Yeah there's a couple of options which will slow down the game, give one a try and see how it goes for you. :)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2055

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Bily

Post by Bily »

Wow, thanks for all the offers of help. Will be trying the suggestions today in addition to starting a new game...because my characters are about to run out of food and "maybe" that is slowing them down.

Not really positive about this, but it seems to me that some games have built in parameters that if there are a certain number of failures in completing a task in the game that additional time is added to allow the player to experience success. Am I wrong about that?

I have played some Steam games where I was stuck in a spot and my kids (in their 20's and 30's) happened to be visiting and they were unable to complete the task also so I think developers sometimes go overboard with only teenage beta testers and make these games too difficult for the average person; along with the fact that many games today are ported from game consoles and are also impossible to control with keyboard and mouse.

It only takes a few $50 games which a person is unable to complete to make them turn to other activities - the gaming industry is shooting itself in the foot.

Us oldsters are now the people with the money and leisure time now too. ;)

The ability to choose a difficulty level should satisfy those teenage gaming whizzes, but the "easy" level should really be EASY.

Portal and Portal 2 are examples of games with extensive beta testing with all levels of players. I have been able to play through both of those 4 or 5 times each.
stepsongrapes

Post by stepsongrapes »

Bily wrote:Wow, thanks for all the offers of help. Will be trying the suggestions today in addition to starting a new game...because my characters are about to run out of food and "maybe" that is slowing them down.
Being hungry does not slow them down. Being overloaded can (little snail symbol on their portrait).
Bily wrote:Not really positive about this, but it seems to me that some games have built in parameters that if there are a certain number of failures in completing a task in the game that additional time is added to allow the player to experience success. Am I wrong about that?.
I'm pretty sure that there isn't any mechanism like this in the game.
Bily wrote:Portal and Portal 2 are examples of games with extensive beta testing with all levels of players. I have been able to play through both of those 4 or 5 times each.
Valve probably has more money than any other development house, thanks to Steam profits. I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

LoG is the game it is: RPG/puzzle/arcade. Not every game is meant for every individual (e.g., I couldn't get good at a rhythm game for the life of me). If none of the current trainers/mods work for you, perhaps you can shelf the game until one that does is released. Starting over with a new party is probably not going to make any difference other than perhaps frustrate you some more. Moreover, the puzzle you're stuck on is only the beginning as far as timing puzzles go- they get a lot harder later on.
waylander

Post by waylander »

i would have thought portal required even more manual dexterity,on some levels you had to fire 2 portals whilst falling and twisting.

also i cant think of any gate key in level 4 unless you mean the cog key(and you dont need that to get to next level).

stick with it.
stepsongrapes

Post by stepsongrapes »

waylander wrote:i would have thought portal required even more manual dexterity,on some levels you had to fire 2 portals whilst falling and twisting.

also i cant think of any gate key in level 4 unless you mean the cog key(and you dont need that to get to next level).

stick with it.
I think she means the scroll you have to obtain in the Time and Tide section with the timed floor panels. You can advance without it.