Grimrock - What I Do Not Like

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
King Semos

Re: Grimrock - What I Do Not Like

Post by King Semos »

dnk wrote:
tecknomage wrote: The Banshee walkthrough has the UNDERSTATEMENT "It might take you a few tires to get the timing down."
i don't think that these puzzles are so hard.
have you tried turning down your graphic details / resolution in options?
i remember lowering the details at one point and it made the movement more fluent and (subjectivly) also faster.
Or asking someone who is, well, younger. To do it for you.

Some people got various timed puzzles their first try, and its not because of their graphics.

There I said it.
rakenan

Post by rakenan »

King Semos wrote:
dnk wrote:
tecknomage wrote: The Banshee walkthrough has the UNDERSTATEMENT "It might take you a few tires to get the timing down."
i don't think that these puzzles are so hard.
have you tried turning down your graphic details / resolution in options?
i remember lowering the details at one point and it made the movement more fluent and (subjectivly) also faster.
Or asking someone who is, well, younger. To do it for you.

Some people got various timed puzzles their first try, and its not because of their graphics.

There I said it.
And some people cannot do them at all, and its not because of their graphics.

There is a combat difficulty option in the game. People who have trouble handling the strafing and square dancing required to master combat on hard difficulty have an option to still enjoy the game. I don't see why there cannot be a difficulty setting for timed puzzles, because the slack in these puzzles is extremely limited and they can easily be too hard for players with poor reflexes. I don't see why finding the only available setting for timed puzzles - which are essentially reflex tests more than puzzle solving tests anyway - too hard means you should not play the game at all, or should have to cheat with a slow-down mod, or should have to get somebody else to play it for you. Those are all horrible solutions to a problem with a much better one - a timer difficulty setting. People can still get whatever ego gratification they get by knowing they beat the game on "hard timers" setting, and other people can turn the timers to a level they find reasonable and enjoyable.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Except that they aren't reflexes, perse. They require you to perform a fixed pattern of movements.

If you can't do it the first few attempts, just learn the keys you must press, and then just press those keys in the correct order, rather than trying to react to the screen. pressing keys in a correct order is easier than having to react to the screen, and this also occasionally saves time on turning, as you don't need to see where you are going.
Kwibus

Post by Kwibus »

Remit wrote:I never had any trouble with timed puzzles in this game, which is why I'm wondering how come so many hate them. I even managed to complete the
SpoilerShow
block balls of light to open iron door
on my first try and
SpoilerShow
the run across the closing pits before they close again
on the second. I understand that people using laptop mice might have some trouble, but with a desktop set up all puzzles were doable.

And what do you mean "Other than Video and Audio Options, there are no others. You cannot map keys for example."? I could map keys from the options. Check the lower left corner of the options menu.
Same with the timed puzzles. It's not that hard really, but it's easy for me to say if you finish those in your first attempt and then end up reading the forum with lots of posters complaining about them. I mean if you can't do it on your first try than you just have to look how the sequence goes and click the movement buttons in the right order which shouldn't be too hard?
tecknomage

Post by tecknomage »

gambit37 wrote:My mother once said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Why not learn to play the game the way it was designed, instead of saying this bit or that bat sucks? The game is entirely beatable, you just have practice some parts of it. It sounds like you simply have no patience, and having patience is a lot of what these games are about...
Did you note my comment about being all-thumbs? Not everybody is young and swift on the keyboard.

As for "patience," I've tried the puzzle over 8 times, didn't make it. Started a new game.

Also, I did NOT say the game sucks. I do like Grimrock in general. I just have never liked games with timers.

You might remember everyone has a right to their opinion ;)
Tecknomage
Mage Guild Maser Oblivion
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

tecknomage wrote:Not everybody is young and swift on the keyboard.
I'm 40, have RSI and early onset arthritis in my hands, and I managed to beat the game no problem.
tecknomage wrote:You might remember everyone has a right to their opinion ;)
Indeed, which is why I shared my opinion that complaining about the game without at least first saying something nice about it is simply not very nice, is it?
zalewapl

Post by zalewapl »

tecknomage wrote: As for "patience," I've tried the puzzle over 8 times, didn't make it. Started a new game.
Eight isn't very much.
Phlimm

Post by Phlimm »

zalewapl wrote:
tecknomage wrote: As for "patience," I've tried the puzzle over 8 times, didn't make it. Started a new game.
Eight isn't very much.
In before the "Eight is Enough" reference.
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

If you can't beat a puzzle. First.... The hunger sets in. Rations start to go, you fall and hurt yourself, you can't mend. Slowly, you all die, until no one is left.

Not everyone gets out of grimrock alive. It's just the way it is.
Gabucino

Post by Gabucino »

Posting in a locked thread.