[spoiler] Final Boss discussion

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Jack Dandy

[spoiler] Final Boss discussion

Post by Jack Dandy »

So... what the heck's up with The Undying?

Why were the Goromorg so afraid of it?

Did it roll over their houses or something?
\/4n!ll4 ][c3

Re: [spoiler] Final Boss discussion

Post by \/4n!ll4 ][c3 »

SpoilerShow
right? i mean it was already disassembled, so they could have just shocked it until it exploded with the weapon of power and all the damn lightning staffs they had there.

the game was fun, dont get me wrong, but the story was pretty crazy.

these dudes built the dungeon to house the undying one, but then decided to use it as a gauntlet-style prison to give prisoners a chance of redemption if they could get out, which one way or the other meant killing the undying one?

i understand the first half of that, but what would have happened if say, someone made it to the bottom, reassembled the undying one, and then got crushed by it? they would have been pretty well screwed at that point.

also, they never really explained what the original purpose of the dungeon was.

whatever, its not the first time i have played a game with a ludicrous plot :D
MASKOAA

Post by MASKOAA »

The designers didn't choose to make it a redemption pit for prisoners the people of the land who wanted to see what was inside offered freedom to prisoners who could make it through and tell them whats inside.

Also you don't need spoiler tags in a thread that has SPOILER in the title.
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

If they destroyed the Undying one it would result in a catastrophic explosion. So instead they imprisoned him eternally. Who knows what actually destroying him has done. Maybe we will understand more in later expansions.

The dungeon is ancient, it has a lot of mystery to it, it leaves a lot of questions left unanswered. That much is true and isn't really a plot hole, its part of the plot.
Hachi

Post by Hachi »

King Semos wrote:If they destroyed the Undying one it would result in a catastrophic explosion. So instead they imprisoned him eternally. Who knows what actually destroying him has done. Maybe we will understand more in later expansions.

The dungeon is ancient, it has a lot of mystery to it, it leaves a lot of questions left unanswered. That much is true and isn't really a plot hole, its part of the plot.
Yeah I saw that giant crater and though... "there's NO way they got that far away in time..."
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

I choose to believe they did. Maybe they snatched a piece of life crystal on the way out? :)
Kurn

Post by Kurn »

I posted this over in another thread, but it seems fitting here as well:

I assume the Undying One is not actually the mechanical cube itself, but rather a more powerful entity imprisoned inside it. I do not think it was lying when it said that it could create a portal out of the dungeon when repaired.
The initial purpose of the dungeon would be a ritual combat trial culminating in ability to pay reverence at the Goromorg Temple Inner Sanctum. The amount of Gladiator Statues in the Dungeon fits this rather well.
Meanwhile the Undying One is trapped below to supply power to the dungeons mechanisms, summon monsters and operate the portal from the temple to the outside.
That way only the worthy would be able to enter the Temple of Goromorg, whoever he is. Maybe the Undying One himself or some other Old God like creature. The priests are likely human but have been changed as a blessing of Goromorg.

No Hero was ever supposed to enter the Levels below The Tomb. Those are just the machine room running the entire show.
However the enslaved Undying One went mad over time and had to be partially disabled to keep the operation safe. There is a fail-safe weapon to presumably kill it but using it is a risk as it might not be weak enough yet.
In fact I imagine the entire mountain like a shutdown nuclear plant that requires years or decades of active cooling before it can be safely dismantled.

The reason the Goromorg Priests don't want us to destroy the Undying Ones Prison (the Cube) is that it is not safe yet and would in fact release the Being itself into the Universe. Which is exactly what happens in the final sequence.
Their Civilization might have perished long ago, but they still have a duty to all of creation to keep that thing locked up.

The Undying One on the other hand is mad, but not stupid. He guides the party towards his prison under false pretenses as he wants them to set him free. The only way to achieve this however is to have them break the cube and that is why he must take the risk of actually killing them in order to force them into using the fail-safe gun.
So we play into his hands even as we kill him or rather destroy his prison.
luthur1964

Post by luthur1964 »

Like the previous posts, I tend to over-analyze things too, so don't take this the wrong way, when I say we should just accept and move on.

I try to look at the journey, not the destination. I enjoyed the game immensly, and I also feel that the ending was , err... different than expected. Maybe that was the point. It may have been easier to do the old traditional "mean wizard with a penchant for revenge", "I wanna take over the world" or "bad time of the month" scenario, but ultimately, the player had to figure out a way to beat the big bad guy. For me, it was hard, and I was stoked when I got him.

Also, criticizing the ending is kind of rude, although I know this is not anyone's intention.
So, let's say a stranger spends a very long time preparing and then cooking for you and all of your friends a fantastic meal -- no, a banquet, seven courses -- no thirteen courses -- of your favorite foods. After swallowing the last bite, someone says, "This dessert is strawberry and I like blueberry." Someone else says,"Great! Now I have gas!" The next guy says,"Yeah, and your farts smell like gorilla poop!" And it goes on and on.

I say, "Lets see if Almost Human or the community of modders can do one better. After all, if it was absolutely perfect, we'd all have to put down our mouse and keyboards, and quit. "It's been done to perfection, and there is no point of continuing in our hobby. My life is complete. I can now move on to the afterlife."

Just saying... :lol:
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

Kurn wrote:I posted this over in another thread, but it seems fitting here as well:

I assume the Undying One is not actually the mechanical cube itself, but rather a more powerful entity imprisoned inside it. I do not think it was lying when it said that it could create a portal out of the dungeon when repaired.
The initial purpose of the dungeon would be a ritual combat trial culminating in ability to pay reverence at the Goromorg Temple Inner Sanctum. The amount of Gladiator Statues in the Dungeon fits this rather well.
Meanwhile the Undying One is trapped below to supply power to the dungeons mechanisms, summon monsters and operate the portal from the temple to the outside.
That way only the worthy would be able to enter the Temple of Goromorg, whoever he is. Maybe the Undying One himself or some other Old God like creature. The priests are likely human but have been changed as a blessing of Goromorg.

No Hero was ever supposed to enter the Levels below The Tomb. Those are just the machine room running the entire show.
However the enslaved Undying One went mad over time and had to be partially disabled to keep the operation safe. There is a fail-safe weapon to presumably kill it but using it is a risk as it might not be weak enough yet.
In fact I imagine the entire mountain like a shutdown nuclear plant that requires years or decades of active cooling before it can be safely dismantled.

The reason the Goromorg Priests don't want us to destroy the Undying Ones Prison (the Cube) is that it is not safe yet and would in fact release the Being itself into the Universe. Which is exactly what happens in the final sequence.
Their Civilization might have perished long ago, but they still have a duty to all of creation to keep that thing locked up.

The Undying One on the other hand is mad, but not stupid. He guides the party towards his prison under false pretenses as he wants them to set him free. The only way to achieve this however is to have them break the cube and that is why he must take the risk of actually killing them in order to force them into using the fail-safe gun.
So we play into his hands even as we kill him or rather destroy his prison.
Where one sees dead end plot holes, the creative thinker sees an open ended mystery. Well done.
Kurn

Post by Kurn »

Don't get me wrong. I love the game and the ending.
Those were just my thoughts over the entire course of the game to make sense of what was going on at all.

Much like Toorum has been wondering at the peculiarities of the dungeons design throughout his quest.