2x2 strafing undermines character building [edited]

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Billick

Re: 2x2 strafing undermines character building [edited]

Post by Billick »

Whisper wrote:
Stamm wrote: Sir, that is clearly not so, and I challenge you to prove it with save stats.
If just by dancing around you avoid 100% attacks - which is possible and quite easy, what prevents you from winning?
If you can finish the game on hard and avoid 100% attacks without reverting to a save, you are far better at video games than I am.
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
Stamm

Post by Stamm »

Whisper wrote:
Stamm wrote: Sir, that is clearly not so, and I challenge you to prove it with save stats.
If just by dancing around you avoid 100% attacks - which is possible and quite easy, what prevents you from winning?
Once there was a cow named Primrose who beat the Grimrock all by herself (the other guys were level 1 freeriders). To be sure the Minotaur Mage cow had ultimately such skills as 34 Air Magic and 34 Spellcraft.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1819&p=17938&hilit=primrose#p17938

Now, would it be possible to dance trough all levels with minimum skills. I doubt it, but it remains to be seen. The proof of pudding is eating it. The tantzmeister title is awaiting, and I'll be the first to hail your achievement. How about only 5 levels first? 8-)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

This really seems like a case of... folks buying an ornate backgammon set, only to find that it's nothing like checkers. There are suggestions here that request for the removal of fundamentally core aspects; or the addition of contradictory gameplay.
LoG was an homage to a certain style of gaming, and a minority of players would have that reference either removed, or made moot. :(
Darlos9D

Post by Darlos9D »

Yes, I definitely agree that we shouldn't be changing the core gameplay or completely removing movement options from the player. Instead, I kinda feel like the issue has more to do with how the enemies act. This is something that could be changed without ruining the core gameplay at all. Earlier I suggested that their AI get upgraded to make them move and fight more like how a player might fight. (basically, when you dance, they dance back) qeurul also suggested that enemies simply get more attack options and abilities, and ways in which they can use these abilities work together synergistically to make life harder on the player. Also, they could be designed to work really well with the environment. Probably one of my favorite parts of the game was at the end of The Vault, when you have to face that Super Spider who keeps walking around on pressure plates that cause lightning to constantly be thrown at you. That was basically a boss fight, considering how hard it was to hit and how much more health it had then regular spiders. (of course you could just hit all the buttons on the walls and then lure it out of the pressure plate area. but you get my point)

I feel like these are the kinds of things we should focus on, rather on how we should gimp the player.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Darlos9D wrote: Earlier I suggested that their AI get upgraded to make them move and fight more like how a player might fight. (basically, when you dance, they dance back) qeurul also suggested that enemies simply get more attack options and abilities,
My earlier suggestions were along the same lines. One of them was the idea that the Ogre [due to it's size], actually attack 8 slots with a swing.
(This could work for the tentacles too.)

** It could even be made 10 slots; with one in each of the directly adjacent squares (to it's left and right).

**** Things could really get interesting when the ogre hits an ice lizard by mistake. :twisted:
Darlos9D

Post by Darlos9D »

Isaac wrote:
Darlos9D wrote: Earlier I suggested that their AI get upgraded to make them move and fight more like how a player might fight. (basically, when you dance, they dance back) qeurul also suggested that enemies simply get more attack options and abilities,
My earlier suggestions were along the same lines. One of them was the idea that the Ogre [due to it's size], actually attack 8 slots with a swing.
(This could work for the tentacles too.)

** It could even be made 10 slots; with one in each of the directly adjacent squares (to it's left and right).

**** Things could really get interesting when the ogre hits an ice lizard by mistake. :twisted:
Myriad secrets, monster closets, AND monster infighting? What is this, Doom?

All joking aside... yeah that would be a start. Also make the damn thing smart enough to actually try and stop and maybe even do some other alternate attack when it runs past you. Maybe if you're in a spot adjacent to its current path, it just puts its arms out and clotheslines your sorry butt.
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

I think the most logical thing to so, to make kinda all happy is, since its a quare grid movement dungeon (wich is good) is the following:

If a you move as party, strafe or just go forward or backwards, it will increase the cooldowns or put a cooldown on the party. Means spells and abbilties (attack short said)

If in real life you're vs your oppenant you have to focces also a sec or 2, becouse you've moved and have to go into.. lets say a "fighting stand again"

THat way the combat should be a bit better. (not solved though)

I think the A.I of monsters should be better to, specialy there movement speed with strafing ( monsters dont even strafe really, well casters do, but only at a distance)

But I think this game can be bigger even then todays.

Lotsa options open, still.
Thels

Post by Thels »

trancelistic wrote:I think the most logical thing to so, to make kinda all happy is, since its a quare grid movement dungeon (wich is good) is the following:

If a you move as party, strafe or just go forward or backwards, it will increase the cooldowns or put a cooldown on the party. Means spells and abbilties (attack short said)
If you think that makes everyone happy, I don't think you're really read the thread. :P

Global Cooldown sounds like a bad idea to me personally.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Thels wrote:Global Cooldown sounds like a bad idea to me personally.
It does to me as well.
SodanKerjuu

Post by SodanKerjuu »

I was thinking this the other day again and one thing came to mind.

If monsters could attack while moving that could level the playing field quite a bit.