Original Legend of Grimrock dungeon in editor

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
RayB

Original Legend of Grimrock dungeon in editor

Post by RayB »

In grim2 you can create a new dungeon then edit the file [name].dungeon_editor, changing the line
dungeonFolder "mod_assets/scripts" to dungeonFolder "assets/dungeons/grimrock2"
which will cause the editor to load in the original Grimrock 2 dungeon instead of the one found in the 'mod_assets\scripts\dungeon.lua file.

Is there any to do this or something similar with grim1?

I would love to have a look at some of the original code.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Original Legend of Grimrock dungeon in editor

Post by Dr.Disaster »

AFAIR the LoG1 dungeon was made before the editor existed therefore it can't be loaded like the LoG2 dungeon.

However .. Komak did a remarkable job in recreating the original dungeon with the editor so you might want to start with his mod "Legend of Grimrock - Remake".
Komag

Post by Komag »

To see it in the editor you'll need the files from Nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/230/?
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
RayB

Post by RayB »

I have downloaded the Komak remake and find it extreemly useful but it has not helped with my current problelm.

There is a puzzle on the 4th level of the grim 1 game that requires the party to throw an item into a teleporter that shows itself momentarily. I am confused about the operation of the teleporter.

The party enters an area in which there is a pressure plate with a grating on the left, and two open pits directly in front of it. When the party activates the plate, a series of clicks is heard and then a teleporter shows over the second pit for a short time. To close both pits you must throw an item into the teleporter while it is showing to try and get the item to land on a pressure plate just to the left of the teleporter. (The teleporter actually teleports the item to the tile just to the left of the party behind the grating and I guess because of the momentum of the throw it is supposed to continue on an additional two tiles to the pressure plate left of the teleporter. Komak's mod shows this to be true.)

The comfusion is this: in grim 1, if I throw a rock using the mouse cursor, the rock lands directly left of the party behind the grating. But if I launch the rock from the party's hand as a throwing weapon it will have enough speed to make it the additional two tiles to the pressure plate. Note: I have checked throwing rocks in the grim 1 game and if I throw a rock using the mouse cursor it always lands three tiles ahead of the party but if I launch it as a throwing weapon it travels seven tiles.

In Komak's mod, launching the rock as a weapon or throwing it with the mouse yields the same result, the rock makes it to the pressure plate and the pits open. The same is true if I re-create the puzzle in my dungeon editor.

Does any one know what causes this? I was wondering if the grim 1 game was coded a little differently or if something else if going on.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Any bet you did mouse-throw your rock.
Now try a different form of throwing .. or shooting.
MiG_Foxbat

Post by MiG_Foxbat »

Yeah, mouse-throwing rocks is somewhat disappointing (bugged in editor made dungeons?) and I've stopped using it as much as possible once I discovered that.