Hardcore mode and difficulty levels

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
kiario

Hardcore mode and difficulty levels

Post by kiario »

Hello fans,

Is there a hardcore mode a.k.a permadeath?
Can you replay game once completed with same characters but on harder difficulty level?

BR Anders
DJK

Re: Hardcore mode and difficulty levels

Post by DJK »

kiario wrote:Hello fans,

Is there a hardcore mode a.k.a permadeath?
Can you replay game once completed with same characters but on harder difficulty level?

BR Anders
Don't shoot me if im wrong ;) but I have to say no and no ... no such thing as permadeath or re-using party in higher difficulty levels from the bat ... there is however a "hardcore" mode that I presume puts the mobs on hard mode and disables the automap.
petri

Post by petri »

We have three difficulty settings that scale monster behavior in combat. On top of that there's old school mode which disables the auto map. We are also considering adding the permadeath option in a game update at some point but completing the game with this option would be very, very, VERY difficult I believe.
DJK

Post by DJK »

Eye of the Beholder was pretty much permadeath up to level 5 where you can access the dwarven cleric ... and ofc from level 7'ish on the (very) rare raise dead scroll...
kiario

Post by kiario »

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting :)
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Honestly, I am in full support of including a permadeath option which you could activate in Easy, Normal, or Hard modes. No matter how difficult it might be, it would be at the user's discretion. Also, it would be an awesome achievement to obtain. :D
petri

Post by petri »

Permadeath should be pretty easy to implement so it seems very likely we're going to add it to the game. Just remind me please some time after launch :)
cokebottle

Post by cokebottle »

How would you combine permadeath with a save/load system?
DJK

Post by DJK »

Hmm good question... possible solutions are "no saving" (would be hard as that would force a 1sitting playthrough ...)

or maybe when a character dies it immidiately flags this character as dead in all save games with this game's id (game id gets created on the start of a new game for example)...

Last option is not caring and trust the player to not "cheat" his own achievements... I mean, if you do, it's like completing deus ex telling yourself you are going for a no kill playthrough... then go on a rampage allgame and at the end tell yourself "hah I did it"... I mean... no you don't and you only are fooling yourself but deep down .. you know, you didn't complete deus ex no kill ;)
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

petri wrote:Permadeath should be pretty easy to implement so it seems very likely we're going to add it to the game. Just remind me please some time after launch :)
For the super hard-core crowd, please also add permadeath for the player.